Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unnecessary repeated use of different words that mean the same thing

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I recently had a conversation with someone where he talked about a friend who neither "comprehended or understood" what he was trying to say. I then asked him, politely, what the actual difference was between the meaning of the words "comprehend" and "understand."He was neither able to help or assist. Can anyone advise?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
This is a common rhetorical trope in English, and really only possible in English, at least to any great degree, because of English's history as the product of a linguistic shotgun marriage.

We have common pairs of synonyms or virtual synonyms, one member of the pair from Germanic sources ('understand') and one from Latin direct, or Latin via Norman French (comprehend).

Blame William the Conqueror. He's why it's such a big -- or large -- deal.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
You can have levels of understanding, "he understood a little about nuclear fusion" - comprehension is absolute and could be replaced by "fully understood".

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Doesn't bother or trouble me. :shrug:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I completely agree - all tautologies tend to annoy me.

The phrase "free gift" gets me (more than it reasonably should). If it wasn't free, it wouldn't be a gift; just call it a gift.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm appalled and disgusted.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Led Zepp were Dazed and Confused.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have enjoyed and savoured this thread but I do worry what your girlfriend and partner made of it. Whilst you are looking for unnecessary and needless synonyms I fear and worry she may be downstairs crying and sobbing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here