Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play off chances

Should we make the playoffs how will we do?

• We are capable of winning them and I think we would.

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • We may get through the semis but we'd lose the final

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • We will get beaten in the semis

Votes: 29 20.3%
  • It's a lottery I have no idea

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 11.9%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know we have a mountain to climb to get there and it's all a lottery but do you have the belief (gut feeling) that if we make at least 6th that we'll be able to win?

Personally I cannot see us beating any of the current likely top teams over two games and I certainly wouldn't hold out too much hope in a play off final should we make it.

We seem to be able to beat top teams in a one off game at the Amex but for some reason fall flat on our faces when the pressure is on and we have the chance to hoist ourselves into the top 6. Yesterday being a prime example. I am pretty sure we have screwed up on a couple of other similar occasions this season??

I think we have the players and the style to go all the way but the mental strength of this team and the ability to miss chances and be bullied by physical teams seem to be our downfall.

Anyway enough waffle, do you think we are equipped to win the semis to the final should we get to the playoff?

Poll to follow

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If we get to the play offs, we've got as much chance as anyone else. It's a complete lottery, and little to do with who is the best team (as evidenced in2013).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There really should be a "We won't make the top six" option.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If we get to the play offs, we've got as much chance as anyone else. It's a complete lottery, and little to do with who is the best team (as evidenced in2013).

You are right of course but I feel we are not mentally strong enough to take the pressure and go all the way. Maybe if CMS and Hoskins get fit and give us more striker options I may change my mind. Only having Ulloa who blows hot and cold but is guaranteed a start is a problem IMO, there aren't enough goals coming from elsewhere. Maybe Buckley will stay fit for the rest of the season and help out but history would suggest another injury soon :shrug:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There really should be a "We won't make the top six" option.

If it wasn't a how would we do in the playoffs poll you'd have a point.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Total lottery - anything and everything can happen

Exactly. As Alan Mullery said, anyone can beat anyone in the Championship. There are no special teams there.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
We had a blip yesterday but previously, we've been on a steady run. Despite all the handwringing and suicidal outpourings of doom from 'some', we are still in with a shout. Considering all the drama of pre season, a new coach coming in and establishing his own trademark on the team, we aren't in a much worse position than this time last season. Some don't like his style of play, but thats not the issue in question here. We have a game in hand on Reading plus Forest are in freefall at the moment. A bonus would be Wigan getting distracted as they approach the semi final, but we can't rely on that happening. (From a Brighton perspective, the best outcome would be Wigan getting to the final.) Anything could happen on the final run in.

We may make it to the play offs and win at Wembley. We may not. When you get to knockout situations, form often counts for nothing. No way are we out of the reckoning at the moment.

Out of all those challenging for the play-offs, we are probably considered the rank outsiders to gain promotion. Thats not a bad thing.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I see. The question doesn't match the thread title.

Of course it does. You chose to interpret the thread title in a different way - which you could only have done if you read it in isolation, ignoring the contents of the OP and the title above the poll.

In this instance, your pedantry has failed.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
If we do make it and I still believe we have as good a chance as Reading and a better chance than either Forest or Ipswich then we are likely to finish 6th.

The team finishing 6th are 3 times more likely to win the play offs than the team finishing 4th (where we finished last season)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If we do make it and I still believe we have as good a chance as Reading and a better chance than either Forest or Ipswich then we are likely to finish 6th.

The team finishing 6th are 3 times more likely to win the play offs than the team finishing 4th (where we finished last season)

No they're not. The fact that it has happened more often does not make it more likely to happen. If Wigan finish 4th, they will be three times as likely to win the play offs than us. Or something.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
When will people get it through their thick skulls that theres more chance of one of us shagging the queen than making the play offs. Any chance of success this season vanished among the saga of last summer.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
We won't make them, our nemesis against lower teams IE incapable or beating them will finally knock it on the head

Not only lower teams but Ipswich, Wigan and Bournemouth. The Championship is very marginal on who wins and looses, everyone in the team has to play well for it to happen, currently our goalkeepers are letting us down, other times its the midfield and generally its not being able to score. We will struggle to make the playoffs imo, we have consistently been just outside the top six this year and I cannot see anything that is going to change that in the near future. in fact one defeat currently and we could be more than a game outside of the top six and as for a game in hand, well, we have to win it to make it count.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It will be a complete lottery , look what happened last season proves my point completely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here