Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney's Goal Overrated?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Now, I am someone who it is very hard to impress, so it may just be a case of that, but I have always found it easier to get height and distance on a bouncing ball than I have from a dead ball. So, to me, booting the ball from a couple of yards into a half, so that it bounces centrally of a goal and bounces in, isn't an impressive skill, it's something that any professional footballer should be able to do, and given socceram's crossbar challenge, is something that lots of them can do (while they were aiming for the crossbar and falling short, it's a sign that the distance and the direction isn't that difficult).

Rooney's shot only goes in because the goalkeeper turned his back losing the flight of the ball then trips over trying to turn and find it again.

On Goals on Sunday they showed Beckham's (imo, more impressive because it was a dead ball, and on the half way line with a goal keeper who was better position to stop it) Suarez's (equally impressive because while it was closer it does go direct rather than bouncing in the 6 yard box, and had a well positioned keeper to beat), and Alonso's (probably most impressive - own half, dead ball, though did rely on Harper slipping over as he scrambled to save it). Yet, they seemed to think Rooney's was the best because he did it at 0-0 rather than at the end of a game that was already 2-0.

To be honest, I was more impressed with Toure's third goal.

Is this just another example of me not being so easily impressed by goals, or is Rooney's overrated?

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
A great goal but over-rated given the media reaction? Yes.

Acker79 already referred to 3 others, but this one was 20 years ago and better for all sorts of reasons:

1) It was 20 years ago
2) It was the last minute of extra time in a European final
3) The keeper wasn't so out of position
4) The keeper was Seaman
5) The ball doesn't just bounce into the net, the shot drops in perfectly below the bar

and, above all

6/7) Not only does it deny Arsenal a cup, it's scored by an ex-Spurs player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiYt3iNWau0

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I don't know about being overrated.
Whenever I try and shoot from the half way line on FIFA 14 I get closer to the corner flag. For that reason alone I will say... He did extremely well.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Adrian running in the wrong direction certainly helped it go in. A good strike undoubtedly and one if it was by one of our lot that we'd madly rejoice over, but the skill level was far below the inch-perfectness of Beckham's effort. If it had gone in just under the bar, then it could be a rival for long distance strikes, probably similarly if it was carried out by less of a bellend, but for now i'll label it mildly impressive.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That Rooney goal was good, but the hype around it has been ridiculous. Tettey's goal for Norwich was better, but it wasn't Rooney for Man Utd, so is being virtually ignored.

As far as very, very long shots go, Rooney's goal was not fit to lace the boots of:
Beckham v Wimbledon (what a pathetic poll on MOTD)
Matt Taylor for Portsmouth (can't remember the opponents)
Figueroa's free kick for Wigan
...and that's just off the top of my slightly fuzzy feeling head.

So yes, Wayne Rooney's goal was over-rated.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
It's a very good goal. But Chris Eagles' was much better.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Stuart Munday.

D

Deleted member 18477

No it's not overrated. It was a stunning finish and if a Brighton player had scored it we'd all be wetting ourselves.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Great goal, not his best one though. The Beckham one looked better and I would have thought would be more difficult, but according to Alan Shearer it's more difficult to volley the ball like that than chip it. I guess I'll accept his opinion, as he does have a little more experience in these things than I do. Although I did score a cracking 9 yard volley in Pitch Invasion once.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A great goal but over-rated given the media reaction? Yes.

Acker79 already referred to 3 others, but this one was 20 years ago and better for all sorts of reasons:

1) It was 20 years ago
2) It was the last minute of extra time in a European final
3) The keeper wasn't so out of position
4) The keeper was Seaman
5) The ball doesn't just bounce into the net, the shot drops in perfectly below the bar

and, above all

6/7) Not only does it deny Arsenal a cup, it's scored by an ex-Spurs player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiYt3iNWau0
Is all correct.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It's a good goal but that third Yaya Toure goal from yesterday I could watch on loop for hours. He hits it like a free kick, outrageous strike. Those who say the prem is lacking in quality just need to look at some of the goals from yesterday, there are some truly world class players in that league.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here