Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal sending off- referee says no?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Loosing a defender did not help them, but by that stage of the match there was only going to be one winner.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Wrong player and shouldn't have been a red card anyway. A bad day for Andre Marriner.

Highly unlikely that the result would have been much different based on how it had gone before that incident - maybe just the four or five goals

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wrong player and shouldn't have been a red card anyway. A bad day for Andre Marriner.

Highly unlikely that the result woould have been much different based on how it had gone before that incident - maybe just the four or five goals

I think the game should be replayed...

Why? Apart from the fact that TV showed it MAY have gone wide and past the post so not a goal but it was a deliberate handball and cheating so an obvious red card.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why? Apart from the fact that TV showed it MAY have gone wide and past the post so not a goal but it was a deliberate handball and cheating so an obvious red card.

I don't know if Dig54 is being serious. But as for why it shouldn't have been a red:

Because deliberate handling of the ball is only a red card offence if it denies a goal or a clear goal scoring opportunity. If it was going wide (and pretty much everyone agrees that it was), then it didn't deny a goal and no one was denied a goal scoring opportunity because of it, so should have only been a yellow.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
But the ball would HAVE to have been going in the goal for the deliberate handball to be a red card offence.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
It was 2-0 at the time, and Arsenal looked off colour. I don't think it would have been six, but Chelski would 'ave won.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Refereeing standards in this country are very poor. I'm a referee and even I don't think the course I was on was thorough enough.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
According to Ian Wright on 606 tonight, he said the ref did his beloved Arsenal a favour as of the 2 they would have wanted Oxlade Chamberlain to stay on the pitch!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But the ball would HAVE to have been going in the goal for the deliberate handball to be a red card offence.

But in the defence of the referee the player thought it was going in and thus attempted to "save" the shot.

A lot has been said about the mistake this weekend but less about that blatant piece of cheating. At least the referee made an honest mistake.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But in the defence of the referee the player thought it was going in and thus attempted to "save" the shot.

A lot has been said about the mistake this weekend but less about that blatant piece of cheating. At least the referee made an honest mistake.

In defence of the referee, it was the linesman who made the call that it was a deliberate handball that stopped a goal and that it was Gibbs, not the ref.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is my point without the benefit of TV replays who thought it was going in Oxo Chamberpot certainly did or he woukdnt have done it.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
That is my point without the benefit of TV replays who thought it was going in Oxo Chamberpot certainly did or he woukdnt have done it.

The ref was in a great position to see that it wasn't

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

But it's a red card offence 'if you deny a goal', not 'if you think you might be denying one'.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Highly unlikely that the result would have been much different based on how it had gone before that incident - maybe just the four or five goals

I can't think of a more absolute clear cut red card that I've ever seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here