Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1000 games.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Arsene Wenger takes charge of He's 1000th game this weekend. Fair play.

Inspirational manager who dragged Arsenal out of it's booze culture and was at the vanguard of the movement in English football towards correct diet, sound training methods, coherent tactics and stylish football.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Inspirational manager who dragged Arsenal out of it's booze culture and was at the vanguard of the movement in English football towards correct diet, sound training methods, coherent tactics and stylish football.

Here, here

This man alone has for much the better changed the whole landscape of football in the UK concerning diet and fitness of players.

It is also worth remembering I doubt anyone had even heard of him when he was appointed the Arsenal manager.

I have a lot of time for Wenger and also all BHAFC fans should not forget he was either the first or one of the first Premiership managers that publicly backed our campaign for The Amex

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Can't fault him really. Incredible football at times, too. And how he made a good right winger into the greatest striker the Premiership has seen is still pretty unbelievable.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Absolutely. Also, he had at times the best football side in the country to watch play, especially the best import to the UK, Dennis Bergkamp.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Absolutely. Also, he had at times the best football side in the country to watch play, especially the best import to the UK, Dennis Bergkamp.

Yes! I'm no Arsenal fan but he created some great teams and Bergkamp is one of my favourite ever players. Thing the previous manager signed him though.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Also did all that whilst playing a huge part in constantly improving Arsenal's financial situation unlike most of their competitors. A manager who understands that the club is bigger than the team :whistle:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Bergkamp was a stroke of genius however I think Bruce Rioch was actually the manager when he was signed.

Completely shattered the Arsenal pay structure at the time as Tony Adams et all were on £10K a week so went straight to £25K the season he signed however worth every penny.

Bergkamp was an awesome player.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He has his faults as all managers do but the positives he has brought to football far outweigh them. He has been hounded by the press on occasions regarding his famous " restricted view " of some on-field incidents and the amount of red cards under him but, Arsenal under Wenger have never really been a dirty side.

In fact, Arsenal are more sinned against in this field, many a mid table manager's only tactic is to " get stuck in against them ". In reality, to try to kick lumps out of them. I can remember one match against Man Utd when Fabregas was kicked to pieces and drew about 4 yellow cards in the match as he was clattered and tackled from behind.
I think he is the manager every fan would love at their club, and that is probably the greatest compliment anyone could say.

larus

From what I understand, he's even responsible for generating a lot of profit for arsenal through transfer dealings. Buys young players, then, if they get sold on, they make a huge profit on them.
I used to hate arsenal; very boring, negative style of play. But Wengers teams often play in a way which for me is a joy to watch. Lots of movement, attacking, crisp passing. I think his footballing philosophy is something to be admired. Never bought big named signings (until Ozil), yet has been competitive in Europe for years. Top manager in my opinion, and I can forgive his blinkered views on decisions, as he's no worse than any of the top flight managers.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Wenger is a class act. He gets a lot of unfair stick(a recent image of him on the deck being shown on MOTD springs to mind) from the gutter press/media who fawn all over low-lifes like Mourinho and Redknapp. It's unlikely but I would be very pleased to see Arsenal turn Chelsea over in the early kick off today.

Last edited:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Got a lot of respect for Wenger, under him Arsenal have been an utter joy to watch at times and the man himself comes across as a decent bloke unlike a number of his contemporaries.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Arsenal who had 40,000 on the waiting list and choose a 60k instead of 70k stadium and choose Rioch over Wenger the year before and got lucky W was still available.
Poor senior management and why they are underachieving but it could easily have been a lot worse

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here