Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fundraising alert: A combined triathlon and marathon for Autism and MS charities

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Dear NSC faithful,

I'm calling on your generosity to support me with a charity challenge I'm embarking on: Running an Olympic triathlon immediately before running the Brighton Marathon.

I'm trying to raise £8,000 for two local charities – the Worthing branch of the National Autistic Society and the MS Resource Centre in Southwick. More information about why I've chosen these two organisations can be found in this story from a recent Shoreham Herald: http://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/news/marathon-man-takes-on-charity-challenge-1-5930099

The plan is to start at 5:30am on the 6th April by running 10km around Shoreham-by-Sea (the traditional triathlon format of Swim-Bike-Run wasn't possible due to timings and logistics), then swimming 1,500m at the town's Wadurs swimming pool, before cycling a 40km route from Shoreham-by-Sea to Preston Park, via Worthing and – giving it an Albion theme – passing the site of the Goldstone Ground (RIP) and Withdean Stadium along the way.

Then it'll just be the small matter of 26.2 miles of the marathon course, which probably won't be anywhere near last year's time of just under four hours.

There is a common consensus from people I speak to that I'm clearly mad for what I'll be attempting on 6th April, but my goal has always been to try and raise as much money, and awareness, as I could for two causes close to my heart. If I can achieve that by doing something that is deemed 'crazy', then so be it.

Thanks in advance for your support. There's a link at the end of the Shoreham Herald article, or go direct to the Virgin Giving page via: uk.virginmoneygiving.com/TriathlonMarathonMan

Cheers,

GB

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:bounce:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ten days to go - thought I would give this another bounce...

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Done, my mrs has MS and one of the lads in my sons under 11 team has Asperger's. Good luck!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another bounce, given I'm £7 from £2,000, or a quarter of my original target. It was pretty ambitious one and I don't know how close I'll actually get to it, but here's hoping…

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just giving this a birthday bounce. Total standing at just over £2,500 with under a week to go...

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
Wow, great effort. Wish you all the best in your quest.
What sort of support have you got? Is someone supporting you throughout, i.e. doing it with you?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wow, great effort. Wish you all the best in your quest.
What sort of support have you got? Is someone supporting you throughout, i.e. doing it with you?

Thanks.

Flying solo on the run and the swim (apart from the obligatory life guard at the pool), and then I've got company on the bike ride. I'm planning on logging it all using Nike+ and Strava, just to prove that I've done all of what I set out to do.

The general consensus is that no-one is mad enough to do everything that I'm doing, but it'll be nice to have a bit of company along the way…

Five days to go, £100 short of £3,000.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Less that 48 hours to go and total is £300 shy of £4,000 - half of my original target. Please did deep, people - I'd love to start off on Sunday morning knowing that each of the two charities were in line for £2,000.

Thanks,

JC

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here