Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlton game to kick off at 15:07-Hillsborough 25th anniversary

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Hillsborough: Matches to kick off seven minutes late on 11-14 April
Every match in the top five leagues in England will kick off seven minutes late on 11-14 April to mark the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Fixtures include the FA Cup semi-final on 12 April between Wigan and Arsenal, which will start at 17:07 BST.

Hull face Sheffield United at 16:07 BST the next day in the second semi-final.

The plan applies to all Premier League, Football League and Conference games, the Football Association said.

There will also be a minute's silence before all matches on those dates, held six minutes after the originally scheduled kick-off time.

On 15 April 1989, at the start of an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest, a crush on the terraces of Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough stadium resulted in the death of 96 Liverpool fans and left hundreds more injured.

That match ended at 15:06 BST.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
who we playing ? 7 mins more drinking time then. Extra pint

There's a small clue in the thread title!!

And with the tone of your latter point, am going to put it down to you not having lived that tragic day?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Home to Charlton.

Some of the early leavers may as well leave at half time, there isn't going to be a lot for them to see.
I'm in more of a tizzy about what the late arrivers are going to do.

How are those who have been 5 minutes late to every game, irrespective of kick off time, going to handle it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This isn't scouser bashing, grief top trumps, or any of that nonsense but a genuine question as to Hillsborough's place in our collective consciousness.

Would Hillsborough be so prominent if it wasn't for the massive police and journalistic cover up?

As horrific as it was, it's not like it's the only mass tragedy.

Bradford, Munich, Aberfan, Marchioness, Herald of Free Enterprise, instantly come to mind.
There must be plenty more I've missed, but Hillsborough is the one we keep coming back to.
That has to be put down to the force of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, hence the original question.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
This isn't scouser bashing, grief top trumps, or any of that nonsense but a genuine question as to Hillsborough's place in our collective consciousness.

Would Hillsborough be so prominent if it wasn't for the massive police and journalistic cover up?

As horrific as it was, it's not like it's the only mass tragedy.

Bradford, Munich, Aberfan, Marchioness, Herald of Free Enterprise, instantly come to mind.
There must be plenty more I've missed, but Hillsborough is the one we keep coming back to.
That has to be put down to the force of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, hence the original question.

I think its a chance for football folk to remember all such football crowd tragedies, which must include Ibrox and often forgotten (!) Heysel. A there but for the grace of God type feeling for me.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As someone who does not hold with the populist opinions often offered about Hillsborough, I will wholeheartedly support this act of rememberance for those who died in this football tragedy, and in others too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here