Bevendean
Manchester United v Bayern Munich
Paris St-Germain v Chelsea
Real Madrid v Borussia Dortmund
Barcelona v Atletico Madrid

My predictions on who will get through,

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I shall be betting Atletico in that match. They have played 3 drawn 3 against Barcelona this year but are odds against to Qualify

PSG V Chelsea is too close to call whilst Bayern and Real should progress but there is no value in their prices.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Real and Bayern are absolute shoe-ins for a semi final place then. Dortmund and United (obviously) are both shadows of the sides they were last season.

The other two games promise to be absolute CLASSICS.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I watch a fair amount of PSG and in my humble opinion they're not all that. The French top division is bang average. I'd make Chelsea firm favourites in that particular tie. I wouldn't completely write United off. They've got bugger all else to play for. The other two ties should be worth a watch as well.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I'm thinking that Man U are going to do to Liverpool what Chelsea did to Spurs a couple of years back.

Guessing you haven't watched any Bayern this season ???

Chelsea had a good defence, United do not. Can see bayern hitting double figures over 2 legs.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
For those writing United off, almost everyone, I bet they did at 7:45 last Wednesday as well!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Interesting draw all told.

Barca-Atletico looks close as they have shared 3 draws so far this campaign and Atletico are a fast improving team. Diego Costa and David Villa are a very potent front pairing for them and Arda Turan is a really good midfielder. Given their vast experience in this competition though, I'd fancy Barcelona to edge the tie.

Real Madrid-Dortmund is a repeat of last year's semi-final when Dortmund prevailed after hammering Madrid in Germany when Lewandowski scored all 4 of their goals. Neither Dortmund or Lewandowski are anywhere near as good this year though, Lewandowski's heart already appears to be in Bavaria. Madrid by contrast are better now than last season with Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema all having been in good goalscoring form and they have some good young players coming through being integrated into the team, while Modric pulls the strings in midfield. Madrid are nailed on to get their revenge on Dortmund in that tie.

PSG-Chelsea looks like being a close call. Funnily enough, PSG seem to be a bit better away from home than on their own patch, they can cause a few problems for teams on the break. Ibrahimovic is obviously a dangerman, but he's possibly the type of forward Terry and Cahill won't mind defending against as he's not lightning quick. Pacy forwards with quick feet are the most troublesome for them rather than forwards with a large frame, albeit a very skilful one. Mourinho's tactical prowess could end up being crucial in a close tie and for that reason, I'd take Chelsea to edge through.

Man United-Bayern certainly has the potential to be carnage for United. United's weakest area is Bayern's strongest area, namely their midfield. Not only are Bayern a technically superior side, their power and work rate is better than United's and that's where United could be in big trouble unless they too are organised and can match their athleticism. United will have to play 4-3-3 when they have the ball and 4-5-1 when they don't have the ball to avoid being pulled all over the place. They need to draw upon how they played over 2 legs against Barcelona in 2008 where they won through despite having much less possession than Barcelona over 2 legs. The main difference between now and then is that their defence is much less reliable and they don't have someone like Paul Scholes who can control the tempo of the match, or indeed be the match-winner as he was that day. Wayne Rooney will need to orchestrate affairs against Bayern. I expect United to put up quite a fight at Old Trafford, but to get well beaten in Germany.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here