Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your County identity?

Where would you say your county identity lies?

• County Council/Aministrative areas- 'East Sussex/West Sussex'

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • The Historic County- Sussex

Votes: 139 83.2%

• Total voters

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Following my earlier thread about the real Sussex county boundary and the existence of the Historic counties... http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?297585-The-Sussex-County-Boundary

I wanted to find out where you would say your county allegiance belongs?, ie The county council/administative areas- 'East Sussex (inc. Brighton & Hove)/West Sussex' or The Historic County- Sussex

Poll to Follow

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
If asked, I would say Sussex because that's where I was born (Cuckfield) and live (Hove). But I really struggle to see how it matters in the slightest.
County boundaries whether modern or old mean the square root of diddly squat to me as a person in my opinion.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Where is the option for 'part of France' as I live in Newhaven?:)

Sussex.

It annoys me when I see the ' welcome to East Sussex' signs on the A259 coming out of Saltdean towards Peacehaven and opposite the Amex.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Thus far, this poll shows the unanimous belief on NSC that WE are the men, women and children of SUSSEX and will not be DRUV or SUBDIVIDED into geographical extremities. All hail the round-headed rampion and St Richard!

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Where is the option for 'part of France' as I live in Newhaven?:)

Sussex.

It annoys me when I see the ' welcome to East Sussex' signs on the A259 coming out of Saltdean towards Peacehaven and opposite the Amex.

Ha ha. your location says 'EAST SUSSEX' in capitals!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Following my earlier thread about the real Sussex county boundary and the existence of the Historic counties... http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?297585-The-Sussex-County-Boundary

I wanted to find out where you would say your county allegiance belongs?, ie The county council/administative areas- 'East Sussex (inc. Brighton & Hove)/West Sussex' or The Historic County- Sussex

Poll to Follow

Are all your threads going to be about the geography of Sussex (That's East, West and Mid!)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
South Saxon Sussex.....

sussaxon is your next thread judging by your photo id about are we British or European followed by are you English or British with you finally announcing that you are actually a ukip or worse party member !!

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have to say, East Sussex, la, la, la. they're a bit fussy, and prim over the border. still, finer fellows than those further afield.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
What is the difference? Are there bits of the historic Sussex that are not parts of east and west sussex?

Yes, this is exactly the case! The main ones being... Tunbridge Wells south of the Pantiles (administered by Kent Council), Lamberhurst south of the River Teise (also administered by Kent Council) and the 'Pigs Tail' of Griggs Green near Liphook (administered by Hampshire Council) are all within the County of Sussex!!!!

The main one which is the other way around is Gatwick Airport (administered by West Sussex Council) is in Surrey!

Hold on!

The poll is built on a false premise. East Sussex and West Sussex are two separate historic entities that pre-date by CENTURIES the creation of county councils in 1889. East Sussex's identity goes back to at least the twelfth century, when the Rapes of Hastings, Pevensey and Lewes were grouped together, under the County Town of Lewes. Chichester, Arundel and Bramber did their own thing, with little meaningful contact with East Sussex.

If you want to find a unified Sussex, it was never a "historic county". It was a historic kingdom. And it faded away in about 825, when it submitted to the rule of King Egbert of Wessex.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
I believe my Sussex roots out way my Jewish/Welsh stock. If the German's had invaded, I wouldn't have fancied my chances though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here