Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sussex County Boundary

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Since April last year, the UK Government has formally recognised Sussex and the other historic counties as still being in existence...
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/eric-pickles-celebrate-st-george-and-englands-traditional-counties

Despite not having any administrative roles, the historic/traditional counties have continued to have an important role in British identity and culture.

For the first time since the 1910s the real county boundaries have been published on a modern map, which can be found in all there glory here, displaying the boundaries of all 92 true counties of the United Kingdom, plus the 3 ridings of Yorkshire... http://wikishire.co.uk/map/

Tunbridge Wells south of The Pantiles, the southern part of Lamberhurst and the 'pigs tale' of Griggs Green near Liphook are displayed exactly where they should be; within the County of Sussex! In addition to this, Gatwick Airport is in Surrey! http://wikishire.co.uk/map/#sussex

So when one talks of 'Sussex' and sings our famous anthem of 'Sussex by the Sea', this is the land we are referring to and taking pride in, not a council area(s)!

This map isn't what used to be, it is what is now! It's just the media and politicians would have us believe otherwise!

The county boundary has not changed and after all our county motto is 'We wunt be Druv', Sussex dialect for 'We won't be pushed around' and neither should our boundaries! After all 'Sussex will be Sussex, and Sussex won't be druv!'

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Since April last year, the UK Government has formally recognised Sussex and the other historic counties as still being in existence...
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/eric-pickles-celebrate-st-george-and-englands-traditional-counties

Despite not having any administrative roles, the historic/traditional counties have continued to have an important role in British identity and culture.

For the first time since the 1910s the real county boundaries have been published on a modern map, which can be found in all there glory here, displaying the boundaries of all 92 true counties of the United Kingdom, plus the 3 ridings of Yorkshire... http://wikishire.co.uk/map/

Tunbridge Wells south of The Pantiles, the southern part of Lamberhurst and the 'pigs tale' of Griggs Green near Liphook are displayed exactly where they should be; within the County of Sussex! In addition to this, Gatwick Airport is in Surrey! http://wikishire.co.uk/map/#sussex

So when one talks of 'Sussex' and sings our famous anthem of 'Sussex by the Sea', this is the land we are referring to and taking pride in, not a council area(s)!

This map isn't what used to be, it is what is now! It's just the media and politicians would have us believe otherwise!

The county boundary has not changed and after all our county motto is 'We wunt be Druv', Sussex dialect for 'We won't be pushed around' and neither should our boundaries! After all 'Sussex will be Sussex, and Sussex won't be druv!'

Superb. This has made my evening.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Until 1844 the following enclaves were part of Hampshire:

The tithings of North Ambersham and South Ambersham (both in the parish of Steep)
The part of the parish of Rogate.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Until 1844 the following enclaves were part of Hampshire:

The tithings of North Ambersham and South Ambersham (both in the parish of Steep)
The part of the parish of Rogate.

Yes, this is correct. There are future plans by the online map maker to create a layer to show all the 'detached parts' of the counties. However, it is generally accepted that an 'enclave' or 'detached part' is geographically part of the county it is surrounded by, and this was the feeling back in the 1840s too!

Sadly, the exclusion of pre-1844 "exclave" boundaries from the map means that it doesn't show the quite significant areas of parts of England where genuine county allegiances existed away from the main county centres. I have ancestors who were born in what was known as Norhamshire, quite a big part of the County Palatine of Durham, which is on the Scottish border, the best part of 70 miles north of what is now known as County Durham. Norham is much nearer, geographically, to Edinburgh than Durham.

But, apart from that, it's a good map.

... and the map has Dudley in Staffordshire, which has NEVER been the case. It was in Worcestershire (but entirely surrounded by Staffordshire) up until the time it was integrated into the metropolitan county of the West Midlands.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Rather strange that someone signs up just to inform us about county boundaries.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Not as strange as you having to get up at 5 AM to post yet another negative comment :shutup:

Good work [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION] very interesting, see you on Saturday.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Not as strange (and rather sad & needy) as your signature.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
... and the map has Dudley in Staffordshire, which has NEVER been the case. It was in Worcestershire (but entirely surrounded by Staffordshire) up until the time it was integrated into the metropolitan county of the West Midlands.

Yes, I will have a word with the map maker about Dudley. It is generally accepted that the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844 was the only piece of legislation that changed the counties as territorial units, rather than exclusively for administration. As Dudley wasn't affected by this act, I will bring this to their attention.

...And of course you should be saying "It is in Worcestershire"... not "was". This is the whole point of this map, to show that these boundaries and identities are current and have a future! I'm pleased you like the map!

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
This supports my writing of my address of Street, Town, Sussex & Postcode then?

Absolutely!!!!! I strongly believe that people should scrap 'East Sussex', 'West Sussex', etc. on their addresses. Leave these areas for what they were originally intended to be, areas of administration! They should not interfere in our culture, geography or local identity!

I encourage all in Sussex to use 'Sussex' on their addresses!

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I think Gatwick was 'technically' moved into Sussex around 1976. It used to have its own Police Force as part of the BAA. Surrey Police Force was too small to take it on, so the border was changed so that Sussex Police could 'inherit' it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not as strange as you having to get up at 5 AM to post yet another negative comment :shutup:

Good work [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION] very interesting, see you on Saturday.

Perhaps you could explain why 5am is any more strange than any other time. Oh, and can you point out where my post was negative?

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I think Gatwick was 'technically' moved into Sussex around 1976. It used to have its own Police Force as part of the BAA. Surrey Police Force was too small to take it on, so the border was changed so that Sussex Police could 'inherit' it.

Yes... for administration. The real county boundary has not changed, Gatwick is still in the County of Surrey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here