KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I've never seen football on Sky1.
Is this unusual?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I suspect they thought they could spin it as "Man Utd's last Champions League match" for the next 5 years, so worth giving special treatment too...

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I suspect they thought they could spin it as "Man Utd's last Champions League match" for the next 5 years, so worth giving special treatment too...

Not the way it's going!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
They've done a few games now on S1, not just United, but I think they're always CL matches

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well Moyes will keep his job for the time being. Couple of lucky set pieces tonight and saved many times by De Gea many times. Just delaying an inevitable exit

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Do Virgin customers get Sky 1? It could be a ploy to try and tempt customers over who want to watch occasional games but not pay for the sports package.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Do Virgin customers get Sky 1? It could be a ploy to try and tempt customers over who want to watch occasional games but not pay for the sports package.

I do but I'm on the XL package ( everything except sports and movies ).

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It is an interesting one this. I have stumbled across this a few times for Champions League games. Either it is advertised and I just filter it out (I am not that interested in watching these games, plus Sky adverts for football with all the OTT hyperbole are easy to ignore if you don't have Sky Sports). Champions League football is supposed to be moving to BT Sport and UEFA particularly wanted to see games free to air. I suspect this is what has prompted Sky, to demonstrate they can deliver this, rather than a desire to poach customers.

In the olden days, not long after football was invented, they used to show league matches on Sky 1, there was only one sports channel at the time, so if they were showing the Golf or a test match for example, the football would be moved, the downside was that The Simpsons, that was only on once a week (I kid you not) would be reduced to a single show at 6.30, as opposed to the double bill at 6pm.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
It is an interesting one this. I have stumbled across this a few times for Champions League games. Either it is advertised and I just filter it out (I am not that interested in watching these games, plus Sky adverts for football with all the OTT hyperbole are easy to ignore if you don't have Sky Sports). Champions League football is supposed to be moving to BT Sport and UEFA particularly wanted to see games free to air. I suspect this is what has prompted Sky, to demonstrate they can deliver this, rather than a desire to poach customers.

Exactly this. Sky showing they're able and willing to do this, in anticipation for when the rights for the TV coverage are next put out to tender. BT Sport are going to be putting one game a week (involving English clubs wherever possible) on 'freeview' to help commercial revenue, as UEFA know that if games are on freeview, Non-Subscribers will be able to watch, there will be a bigger audience and can therefore make even more money.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'd be a bit embarrassed as a United fan to see them celebrating so much after knocking out a second-rate Greek outfit in the last 16 of the Champions League, bearing in mind for most of the last 15 seasons they've had realistic ambitions of winning the competition and would have dispatched a team like Olympiacos with ease. There is no way 3-0 was a fair reflection of that match. Olympiacos gave it to United on a plate, first by conceding an awful penalty and then through a huge goalkeeping error. Despite that, I still thought they looked dangerous in attack and could easily have scored. Squeezing past a team like that shows how far they have fallen, and tonight should not be taken as any sort of sign that United have even begun to overcome their problems. It doesn't matter which of the other seven teams they play in the next round, they are going to get ANNIHILATED.

Realisitically, Olympiakos are around Celtic's level....

I can't wait to see them draw Madrid, Bayern or Barcelona. Carnage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here