Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music Your Parents Liked But You Hated As A Kid

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
...... But love now.

Every car journey in the 70's was ruined for me by my old man singing along to Randy Newman. Took me thirty years to appreciate his genius.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Dire Straits, hated them as a kid, but I can at least appreciate their music, if not outright like it!!!

My dad also loved Level 42, and I will never ever understand that :)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ray Conniff. Don't look it up.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Cat Stevens was always played in the car by my mum, quite like some of his stuff now. My dad is huge fan of Robyn Hitchcock, I could never get into his work for ages but now I've realised just how good much of his stuff is.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was quite lucky. My folks were into The Beach Boys, Bee Gees, Bob Marley, Neil Young, Queen and The Carpenters.

Didn't especially get SANTANA, though.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Frank Sinatra, Nat "King" Cole in particular. Couldn't stand either of them at the time. Love 'em both now, particularly Nat, what a voice.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
...... But love now.

Every car journey in the 70's was ruined for me by my old man singing along to Randy Newman. Took me thirty years to appreciate his genius.

Still cannot take his voice seriously for a second. It's hilarious. Sorry.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Jose Feliciano - what a load of old sh1t
Peter, Paul & Mary - what a load of old sh1t
Nat King Cole - didn't like then, but love it now
Tony Bennett - as per Nat King Cole

The absolute WORST though, came out whenever I had woken them up, coming home after a particularly drunken night out.

My Mum got her revenge by putting on the soundtrack of Ipi Tombi, a musical they had seen, featuring various 'indiginous African music styles' but mainly consisting of very loud, very irritating DRUMMING.

I ****ing HATED that.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Jennifer bloody Rush

My Dad loved that Power of Love song she did. He also liked Lady in Red by Chris De Burgh. Otherwise his taste in music was pretty good. Everyone has their guilty pleasures but my Dad's were downright disturbing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Frank Sinatra. Sort of half-appreciate his delivery now, but the guy was such a scumbag, it sort of negates all that.

Parents neighbours used to love Jim Reeves. Played full blast. Which sounded to my youthful ears like a human being played at half speed. Still does, in fact.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
My Mum brought me up on a diet of Beatles. Dave Clark Five, Hollies, Simon & Garfunkel, Beach Boys and Kinks.

She also used to put on Geoff Love's Big War Movie Themes, when she was ironing on Sunday morning. She hated ironing, and the marches and big booming sound would definitely motivate her. I have that album now, and it just makes me roar with laughter when it comes on.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
She also used to put on Geoff Love's Big War Movie Themes, when she was ironing on Sunday morning. She hated ironing, and the marches and big booming sound would definitely motivate her. I have that album now, and it just makes me roar with laughter when it comes on.

I loved that album, I bought it from Woolies on South Road in Haywards Heath in the early 70s. Awesome.

Of course I'm far too cool to listen to that childish nonsense now!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here