Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Race Is ON To Tart Up London Road!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Before the student housing gets completed and occupied. Fantastic to see a massive and swanky-looking cafe-bar go up on the site of the old Blockbusters store, and every pub - other than the Branch Tavern, obviously - seems to be undergoing a major refit. Swish new sign for the Open Market also. Maybe even the Emporium will reach critical mass and stop looking like a pop-up shop. Gentrification finally, and not before time. Just need the Greens to wave their magic wand now and pedestrianise the street and it'll suddenly look very good indeed. Anyone know if its possible to buy shares in Barracuda Shopfitting Limited because they seem to have cornered the market in the that part of town. It's a shopfitting FRENZY!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Before the student housing gets completed and occupied. Fantastic to see a massive and swanky-looking cafe-bar go up on the site of the old Blockbusters store, and every pub - other than the Branch Tavern, obviously - seems to be undergoing a major refit. Swish new sign for the Open Market also. Maybe even the Emporium will reach critical mass and stop looking like a pop-up shop. Gentrification finally, and not before time. Just need the Greens to wave their magic wand now and pedestrianise the street and it'll suddenly look very good indeed. Anyone know if its possible to buy shares in Barracuda Shopfitting Limited because they seem to have cornered the market in the that part of town.
Swanky bar? It looks like a shite wetherspoons to me. The same people are opening a place somewhere else in town too though I forget where I saw it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Before the student housing gets completed and occupied. Fantastic to see a massive and swanky-looking cafe-bar go up on the site of the old Blockbusters store, and every pub - other than the Branch Tavern, obviously - seems to be undergoing a major refit. Swish new sign for the Open Market also. Maybe even the Emporium will reach critical mass and stop looking like a pop-up shop. Gentrification finally, and not before time. Just need the Greens to wave their magic wand now and pedestrianise the street and it'll suddenly look very good indeed. Anyone know if its possible to buy shares in Barracuda Shopfitting Limited because they seem to have cornered the market in the that part of town. It's a shopfitting FRENZY!

Yep ... and once that's complete lets do the Lewes Road too!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Not a Wetherspoon, the chain is Loungers, pretty large with a mix of people definitely more trendy than your average London Road inhabitant e.g The Branch. Been a couple of times since it has opened. Good range of drinks and American style food. Hare and Hounds opening next week under new ownership, Open Market partly trading and the new student accommodation to come. Things are really looking up for this area after years of neglect.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Swanky bar? It looks like a shite wetherspoons to me. The same people are opening a place somewhere else in town too though I forget where I saw it.

95 Western road. I think that puts it somewhere opposite Waitrose. Opens in about a week.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Bulldog is spot on, it is on the old Debenhams/Rock & Roller site.

I have just walked though the Open Market, and was really impressed. Once all the shops are filled, and I was told by one of the stall holders, there will be pop up stalls in the middle of the market concourse.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They still need to sort out all the vagrants who hang about in the Aldi, Co-op, KFC area (or "TRAMP TRIANGLE" as I like to call it).

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
London Road has huge potential.

It's the closest large shopping area to great swathes of prosperous housing between Preston Park and Ditchling Road.

Almost every building in it, including all the neglected and abused ones, is actually very attractive.

It is next to a future St Peters Plaza, which in turn will link London Road to North Laine.

Oct 25, 2003
The Level was the key for me. Its absolutely great there now and has dragged the rest of the area up.

Is the lounge place the same owners as Modello on Church Road? I like that place

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gentrification finally

It's a shame that the only way we seem able to regenerate areas is to gentrify them and force the prices up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here