Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

car insurance

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can my wife and I own and insure 2 cars with different companies. We hope to buy a new car very soon but want to still run our old one for trips to the tip as we are going to be decorating, so obviously both will need to be insured. We cant insure 1 in each name as I havent had insurance in my own name for about 5 years and am a named driver on her insurance as she now has the NCB.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Some companies will accept your NCB accrued by you as a named driver. The ex Mrs Skipper and I often had 3 or 4 cars all with different companies, she now has only 2. Her current squeeze has 2 and a Harley, I have no idea of their insurance situation, but you have no problem.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Yes but your wife will have to take out a 2nd policy for which she won't have a ncb. However, as an experienced driver, she'll still get a good deal. Basically, she can't use her ncb against 2 policies, only one. Alternatively you could look at a multi car policy, that might work out better. Good luck.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Admiral multi car is quite a good deal. Insure one vehicle with them and then add the second when its insurance comes up for renewal.

Not all insurers will allow named drivers to accrue NCB but I think Direct Line do.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Admiral multi car is quite a good deal. Insure one vehicle with them and then add the second when its insurance comes up for renewal.

Not all insurers will allow named drivers to accrue NCB but I think Direct Line do.

The Coop allow named drivers to accrue NCB.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ask a broker. He'll work out the best deal for you. I can't understand why people bother with comparison websites and the like when all your requirements can be sorted by an expert.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ask a broker. He'll work out the best deal for you. I can't understand why people bother with comparison websites and the like when all your requirements can be sorted by an expert.

Nothing wrong with that but for motor insurance, all the info you give the broker is what you would fill out anyway and then they go an industry comparative website and he will have to get paid some way. Motor insurance isn't rocket science so you don't need broker. Brokers won't earn much money from a motor policy and therefore that would correlate with the amount of work they would put in.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Nothing wrong with that but for motor insurance, all the info you give the broker is what you would fill out anyway and then they go an industry comparative website and he will have to get paid some way. Motor insurance isn't rocket science so you don't need broker. Brokers won't earn much money from a motor policy and therefore that would correlate with the amount of work they would put in.

Comparison sites are effectively brokers too except you do all the work! They get paid the same way.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Admiral multi car is quite a good deal. Insure one vehicle with them and then add the second when its insurance comes up for renewal.n

Be careful with admiral. When we renewed our multi car policy it was dearer than insuring separately with them........until we complained

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Can my wife and I own and insure 2 cars with different companies. We hope to buy a new car very soon but want to still run our old one for trips to the tip as we are going to be decorating, so obviously both will need to be insured. We cant insure 1 in each name as I havent had insurance in my own name for about 5 years and am a named driver on her insurance as she now has the NCB.
Why post this question on here? Ask your insurance company!:yawn:

D

Deleted User X18H

If you insure any entity with two different insurers you are creating an element of dual insurance . Subsequently and if not disclosed you may encounter problems at claim stage in realtion to each contribution , depending on your level of indemnity with each insurer.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD

I've been using the same broker for 25 years. He knows my history and what I want. We exchange cards at X'mas.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I've been using the same broker for 25 years. He knows my history and what I want. We exchange cards at X'mas.

Very nice but that doesn't change the fact the motor insurance is pretty much standard. Use a couple of comparison websites, and check Direct Line and Aviva who don't subscribe to them and you should get a broad range of prices to chose from. I agree a broker is almost a necessity if you have something out the ordinary but for generic policies like household and motor you might as well do it yourself.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Be careful with admiral. When we renewed our multi car policy it was dearer than insuring separately with them........until we complained

I agree that at every renewal you should always check prices. New policies can be cheaper than the actual market rate just to 'buy' in the business in the hope you just automatically renew the following year. Get cheaper quotes and invariably your existing insurer will match them.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
One thing I do is go to Quidco.com who will offer money back with certain companies. Today they have a £75 refund from Tesco. I've got insurance down to under £100 using this method.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here