Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Put Bananas in Plastic Bags?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've watched with a mix of great amusement and ecological sadness as some people in Sainsburys put bunches of bananas in thin plastic bags. Do they realise that there's absolutely no need? Bananas don't leak, smell or make other goods sticky when put bagless in your Bag-For-Life with your other purchases. This gossamer thin layer won't protect them from being crushed? Without being ageist, these people seem to be old buggers who struggle to get their chosen bunch in to the low micron guage plastic bag, provided from the cardboard dispenser above the banana area, as the individual bananas on their bunch separate, but still stay attached to the thick stalk, increasing the difficulty of getting the bananas in to the bag.
Why do they do this? If you want some free next to useless small plastic bags, just take some. Surely there's no need to take two minutes trying to put bananas in them?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Without being ageist, these people seem to be old buggers

Hmmmmm......not ageist then....???

Presumably you belong to the elite group who will be forever young, have no understanding of the elderly and no doubt, if your parents aren't already dead are busy booking their train tickets to Dignitas.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I've watched with a mix of great amusement and ecological sadness some people in Sainsburys.

(this sums more up really).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
:banana: At least they're eating fruit. :banana:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Presume you checked the colour of said bananas? If green, putting them in plastic bags speeds up the ripening process you know.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
What has always confused me is people sitting in offices with unwashed hands taking the whole thing out if the skin, throwing skin away & then eating it with their sticky mitts all of over it? Why ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
What has always confused me is people sitting in offices with unwashed hands taking the whole thing out if the skin, throwing skin away & then eating it with their sticky mitts all of over it? Why ?

What's confused me is people sitting in offices believing it is they that make the world turn.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Like eggs they come with their own wrapping, but we still put eggs in boxes.. Nes pa.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
41wBhDaSa-L._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg
Banana cases, for younger fusspots.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Presume you checked the colour of said bananas? If green, putting them in plastic bags speeds up the ripening process you know.
Instead of wasting a plastic bag, they should have bought them when they went shopping last time, hence giving them a week to ripen naturally whilst reducing their plastic bag usership by one.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
As previously alluded to it's technically a herb.

Yes, and an apple is a tree, no doubt.

Surely they're eating the fruit of a herb - Wkik: "A banana is an edible fruit produced by several kinds of large herbaceous flowering plants in the genus Musa."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here