Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR Shirt Deal

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Read in The Sun that QPR have signed a Nike shirt deal worth £45m over 5 years. Can someone please explain to me how Nike make money from this. QPR do not have the biggest fan base nor do they have a global brand - they need to sell 000's shirts to get their money back. I appreciate there is an element of advertising but this seems alittle pricey!

I don't believe its a FFP fiddle as its a third party!

What will BHA's deal look like?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Incredible isn't it!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Even at a profit of around £30 a shirt, that's 30 000 shirts a season to break even - a lot for a club averaging 18K at home.

It won't just be shirts though. There is a growin number of people that are buying the clubs leisure wear and that will all also be covered in the deal.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I see that (on the official QPR site) they state that "From the 2014/15 season onwards, all kit, training wear and related products will be designed, manufactured and distributed by Nike"

Nike must be making some serious offers to clubs of that size to make them move away from their long standing relationships, QPR have been with Lotto for some time now, another nail in the coffin of smaller sportswear manufacturers.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Read in The Sun that QPR have signed a Nike shirt deal worth £45m over 5 years. Can someone please explain to me how Nike make money from this. QPR do not have the biggest fan base nor do they have a global brand - they need to sell 000's shirts to get their money back. I appreciate there is an element of advertising but this seems alittle pricey!

I don't believe its a FFP fiddle as its a third party!

What will BHA's deal look like?

Loopy. Well they always were. Shirts.

Boots seemed to be a different superficial design on each foot on the Tuesday.

Dec 29, 2011
Even at a profit of around £30 a shirt, that's 30 000 shirts a season to break even - a lot for a club averaging 18K at home.

Nike aren't paying a lot just so they can make profit on the shirt, it's a good advertising opportunity. QPR are likely to get promoted this year or next ,and so Nike will get 3 years of exposure in the Premier League, during matches (on shirts) and after matches (on the advertising board behind interviews). On top of the exposure they get the profits from selling merchandise to sweeten the deal.

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Nike aren't paying a lot just so they can make profit on the shirt, it's a good advertising opportunity. QPR are likely to get promoted this year or next ,and so Nike will get 3 years of exposure in the Premier League, during matches (on shirts) and after matches (on the advertising board behind interviews). On top of the exposure they get the profits from selling merchandise to sweeten the deal.

So has Barber got a similar deal lined up with our new kit suppliers? Nike is a well known brand so why do they need to spend £9m a year with QPR to promote their product.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Nike have constant exposure in the premier league (and champions league) with Man U, Man City, Arsenal and Everton, the exposure they'd get with QPR is worth pennies in comparison to those four.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Maybe its tied up with Fernandez Formula 1 racing team

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So has Barber got a similar deal lined up with our new kit suppliers? Nike is a well known brand so why do they need to spend £9m a year with QPR to promote their product.

It's all to do with brand wars.

Nike v Adidas
Coke v Pepsi

None of them really need to advertise - Coke will sell it's products in billions of units regardless of it's Christmas "Holidays are coming " ad. What they want is to be SEEN to be the leading brand ( regardless of the fact most consumers won't switch - I'd always go Coke rather than Pepsi however much advertising Pepsi push out ).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here