Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most boring (and unpleasant to drive) stretch of country road in Sussex

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Most of our beautiful county is blessed with roads which provide great views of the surrounding countryside and are a pleasure to drive.

There are of course a few exceptions.

In my opinion the most boring is the section of the B2110 between the water tower (a mile east of Handcross) and the B2036 at the Cowdray Arms. It may only be a couple of miles, but it's trees all the way on either side with bends and narrow lanes. Not a pleasant drive.

Any thoughts on other less pleasant stretches of Sussex road? The title specifies "country" roads so that will eliminate the roads in Newhaven and Crawley!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Anywhere in Brighton @ 20mph?!

I know it isnt countryside but it makes driving both unpleasant and DANGEROUS a nd it pisses me off big time....

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Most of our beautiful county is blessed with roads which provide great views of the surrounding countryside and are a pleasure to drive.

There are of course a few exceptions.

In my opinion the most boring is the section of the B2110 between the water tower (a mile east of Handcross) and the B2036 at the Cowdray Arms. It may only be a couple of miles, but it's trees all the way on either side with bends and narrow lanes. Not a pleasant drive.

Any thoughts on other less pleasant stretches of Sussex road? The title specifies "country" roads so that will eliminate the roads in Newhaven and Crawley!

**** me dead...you boring ****...xxxx

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The bit round the back of Horsham and the rest of the road to Gatwick. Which is the most direct route to the Airport from my present neck of the woods, is the worst in the whole of Sussex, and I have spent most of my working life since the early 60's driving all over Sussex.
The best bit is about a mile to the west from the Fontwell Roundabout on the A27. It's a right hand curve, which now is the western half of the dual carriage way, it was part of the road when it was only two lanes. It was left exactly as it was originally laid, lovely gentle curve , slight camber...... Start in the left hand lane and put your foot through the floor, then aim for the apex of the curve ( you can't see the exit) keep your foot down and let the car run back to the left hand lane, then, the straight down to Tangmere opens up in front of you.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I personally find the trip between Shoreham and Henfield a visual delight

cementworkssmaller.jpg

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
All of the A27 past Shoreham Airport especially the Worthing bit with its roundabout frenzy.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I drove along that stretch a couple of days ago, I always imagine that building being taken over by some kind of Bond villian.

Or a great location for The Walking Dead.

As for the OP, what is he on? That section is fun to drive some nice bends and the trees hugging the road giving glimpses of clearings in the woods.

I hate the section of the A27 round Chichester, one annoying roundabout after another ditto the Horsham bypass

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Any part of the A27 that hasn't been dualled. It's our main coast road, and frankly it's a disgrace, thanks to the combined efforts of Kenneth Clarke (cuts while Chancellor of the Exchequer), the Duke of Norfolk (helped to scupper the Arundel bypass) and Norman Baker (led NIMBY campaign against the Lewes to Polegate improvement, which his Lib Dem colleague in Eastbourne, Stephen Lloyd, now wants done). The Chichester to Havant section (mainly in Sussex) used to be awful, as it was a concrete surface and rattled the whole way until it was tarred.

I don't find the bit the OP mentioned boring, but you do have to watch out for maniacs who think you should be doing at least 60 mph along there. Don't do this - at night the area is overrun with deer. My local vicar ran into one at Handcross. I find the road from Crowborough to Wadhurst and on to Ticehurst and Flimwell a bit of a drag, even if it isn't particularly boring. Going birdwatching at Dungeness and Rye, it's either that way or the motorway - that way is a drag, the motorway is twice as long. The run from the A22 at Hailsham to Bexhill doesn't have much to recommend it either, apart from Herstmonceux. Apart from that though, I can't think of many. If you can avoid heavy traffic, most roads in our county are extremely pleasant to drive.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or a great location for The Walking Dead.

As for the OP, what is he on? That section is fun to drive some nice bends and the trees hugging the road giving glimpses of clearings in the woods.

I hate the section of the A27 round Chichester, one annoying roundabout after another ditto the Horsham bypass

Or if things had gone differently, could have been the location of the Amex!!!!

Never mind Sussex, as someone who regularly travels between Brighton and Bristol I can say with 100% certainty that the M4 is the singularly most boring stretch of road since the Boretown bypass was opened by Sir Ernest Dullton-Sleepdrive. It skirts the outskirts of Dullsville and Shitbored and cuts straight through the villages if Wristslash on the Naze and both Upper and Lower So****inbored.
The M4, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The bit round the back of Horsham and the rest of the road to Gatwick. Which is the most direct route to the Airport from my present neck of the woods, is the worst in the whole of Sussex, and I have spent most of my working life since the early 60's driving all over Sussex.
The best bit is about a mile to the west from the Fontwell Roundabout on the A27. It's a right hand curve, which now is the western half of the dual carriage way, it was part of the road when it was only two lanes. It was left exactly as it was originally laid, lovely gentle curve , slight camber...... Start in the left hand lane and put your foot through the floor, then aim for the apex of the curve ( you can't see the exit) keep your foot down and let the car run back to the left hand lane, then, the straight down to Tangmere opens up in front of you.

Your reference to Fontwell caught my eye. My favourite bit of Sussex road is between Fontwell and Storrington... fantastic views, curves you can see across, nice hills, sweeping bends, tight corners that can be taken quickly if you get the line right - it's got everything whichever direction you're going in.

(The worst for me is the A23 between Pyecombe and the A27, simply because I do it too many times a week.)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, the A23 > A24 via the A264 at Crawley and Horsham also gets another vote. Roundabout hell, now with added roundabouts courtesy of the new Kilnwood Vale development.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here