Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewis Dunk to stay for the long haul?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Out of contract at the end of the season. We need to start playing Dunk along side of Upson and get rid of Greer in the summer otherwise we may just lose Lewis for free in the summer as I don't think he'll want another year on the bench.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Isn't he under contract until the end of NEXT season ???

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Yes apologies, but for us to keep hold of him, we can't keep playing Greer, the top 6 isn't his level at all.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yes apologies, but for us to keep hold of him, we can't keep playing Greer, the top 6 isn't his level at all.

Based on what ? He has proven last year top 6 is his level and Is part of best defence in league this season .
Yes he is getting older but still good for another championship season

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London

People keep saying this, but we have the best defence in the Championship. Greer is part of that defence, so to say it is not his level is clearly incorrect. Upson is what, 35? To get rid of Greer would be madness, unless we get at least two top level Championship / lower level Premier League centre backs in to replace him.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
People keep saying this, but we have the best defence in the Championship. Greer is part of that defence, so to say it is not his level is clearly incorrect. Upson is what, 35? To get rid of Greer would be madness, unless we get at least two top level Championship / lower level Premier League centre backs in to replace him.
& this...

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Gordon Greer must think he's wandered into a parallel universe if he comes on here.

He's part of the best defence in the Championship and is playing regularly for his country.

Our last defeat in a great run stemmed from an error by Upson - not Greer. I wonder what he needs to do to convince his detractors?

If we stay in the Championship rotating Greer/Upson/Dunk will be fine next year. Changes will be made if we go up and I could see Greer leaving at that stage to get regular football at a Championship club.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
agree with most of the posters above. Our defence has been one of (if not )the best in the league since Upson joined us. Even before that with El-Abd alongside him we were one of the best.

We're lamost certainly not going to get as good a centre-back with more pace, because they'd be playing in the top flight or one of the bigger Championship clubs.
If you look at QPR who have an insane budget and one of the best defences in the division, they have Hill and Dunne at centre-backs who are older and slower.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
People who think Dunk is better than Greer need their head checked. :lolol:

Greer is a beast of a defender and we're very lucky to have him. He's also a model pro who leads by example. His partnership with Upson has been invaluable. He's played a massive part in our rise through the leagues and our current campaign and I can't understand the criticism he gets. Sure he's not the future, but neither is Upson, yet he doesn't get the same flack. Our back six at the moment is probably the best back six I've ever seen at Brighton. Arguably better than last season when we had WAYNE BRIDGE and Bridcutt.. a bit of perspective please people.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Really don't get the hate towards Greer from some of our fans. As I've said on numerous occasions I was critical of some of his performances earlier in the season, but recently he has been very good and our defensive record is the best in the league.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Talking of Greer , I remember when he moved from Swindon which at the time looked a strange one to most in football. Club captain at a play off side to a team playing in same league in athletics stadium. Could of worked out terribly but 140 odd appearances later you have to say it was a brilliant decision.

Was his debut the 0 - 4 at Charlton , seem to remember his involvement in that game being memorable for some other reason than the quality display he put in.

Great signing and servant to us.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Although Greer and Upson are both approaching their mid-30's both appear to have keep themselves in great shape and look good for a couple of more seasons at least. We need to balance Dunk, Greer and Upson though so we can continue to develop Dunk and not risk losing him due to lack of game time.

Dunk won't be leaving for free though, if his contract is up at the end of next season he will still only be 23 and as such we'd be entitled to compensation if he did decide to leave.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Upson is a very good defender but when Greer was out previously we became horribly predictable & ponderous with him & Adam bringing the ball out of defence. As soon as Greer came back we were a far better and more effective side - he's so under appreciated on here

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You are all assuming that we will resign Upson and he can continue at this level for another season. It could well be a Greer Dunk first choice with Upson as back up.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Dunk is starting to show his potential can be realised. Consecutive games now without making silly mistakes through loss of concentration - the one thing that has plagued him until now.
Certainly "the future" but Greer is undeniably the present. In tandem with Upson the best central defence combo in the division. I think I will trust OG/NJ to manage the situation professionally and for the long term benefit of the club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For me, Dunk's main problem was his over-confidence which often slid in to apparent casualness in his approach to the game - topped off by his keepy-uppy own goal at Anfield; an outrageous attempt at being a show-off which backfired.

Much of that appears to have gone; his recent performances have been solid. Plus he knows how to pass...

If he continues to improve at the rate and direction he has been, he will go from being a fine asset to an essential one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here