Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone with first hand knowledge of a European ski-resort which currently has good snow?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Please help. I'm supposed to be going next week. Was looking at Lech but the reports are that it is icy and slushy. Val Thorens is an option but have been there twice in recent years; but let me know if the snow is good. I've also been looking at the SkiClub of GB snow reports but these do not seem to tally with reports from people that have been to the resorts.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
I'm in Morrillon / Samoens now, and yeah it's starting to get slushy especially low down. It's bloody warm so I suspect it'll be similar in a lot of resorts.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
You won't be finding powder anywhere in the alps. It was +19 yesterday here. Up the mountain it's hovering around 0 but with direct sunlight on the snow, it's always hard packed in the morning and slush in the afternoon.

VT as you know is probably the most snow sure resort in the alps because of the altitude, Tignes and Val d'Isere for similar reasons. Italy is pretty much over for the season as is most of Austria although Obergurgl.

I think you're just going to have to suck it up, accept the snow won't be ideal, but the weather will be. Get up early and smash out a few runs and hit apres. Get an awesome goggle tan and enjoy the sunshine.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
The weather charts seem to indicate snow for the alps later this week.
As for the quality of the snow.....spring skiing does mean freeze & thaw.Enjoy the freshies and the sun!

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Granada, Spain.

Apparantly has the biggest "real snow making machine" in europe...and also, there is currently snow there.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
A friend just came back from a week in Obergurgl, Austria. High resort, excellent snow, sunny and warm. Snow was forecast for the weekend. Quiet though.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Hintertux will have good snow up top, Kaprun normally holds it's pistes together well until
late into the season.

Both resorts are tiny though.

Cloggie

Feb 21, 2012
Just got back from Chamonix yesterday. The sun is really starting to have an impact. The lower slopes are starting to show signs of grass and mud and serious slush from mid mornning onwards but up high things are holding up ok.
If I was heading out again I'd look for Tignes or Val D. Think they offer the best option of decent high up snow. Val T is good but I suspect the lower areas in the 3 Valleys will be suffering by now.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
I came back from Verbier 10 days ago, all pistes were in superb condition and the off piste was excellent too. Nothing was tracked out and there was fresh powder to be found with a little walking. That said it had just snowed then, and I'm not sure what's happened since, but it will be doable for sure.
Tignes is always a good sure snow bet, and of course at Cham, the top of Argentiere will be good for a while yet.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'm going to Verbier on Wednesday for a little play about so will report back then. Just come in from Lunch. 18.5 in town, forgot to say I live in Chamonix, I'll head up the Brevent Thursday and let you know what it's like. Snow on the forecast for the weekend, seems very optimistic to me so might fall as rain and finish off the season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Been warm throughout Europe all week. Forecast to cool down again next week though, and it's not uncommon to get good late season conditions at the end of March.

Best bet for honest reports is the Snow Heads forum - SCGB reps are sponsored to an extent by the resorts, so they have to put a positive slant on snow reports.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well if this isn't a look at me , i don't know what is...FFS...!

Come on, winter sports is hardly 'look at me' is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here