Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile use while in India

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd be grateful for some advice. My son goes to India on a charity trip next weekend for two weeks. He wants to take a phone to text home to let us know he has arrived and give us the occasional update on how it is going. He has been advised not to take his iPhone 5 as it will be vulnerable so he plans to take an old simple phone but his iPhone sim won't fit such a phone. His carrier had suggested he use his current contract and they will switch his current sim to another size before he goes and then back again when he returns. That's fine but a bit of a faff. I wondered if it would be easier to get a payg sim but I'm not sure if he can use this when abroad. Anybody done this?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Take the iPhone, they do have them abroad as well

I'm aware of that. But the charity that is organising his trip have advised them not to take smartphones (or indeed anything they aren't prepared to lose) as they will be more of a risk of theft. They are spending time working in schools in slum areas.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just make sure you turn your data off, £6 / MB is typical. Its incredible the networks get away with it, thankfully in the EU they have been forced it charge reasonable rates now..

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd get a cheapo unlocked nokia off ebay and buy a pay as you go sim card on arrival

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
Been a couple of times now for a month at a time - your best bet would be a new payg sim and phone if you can't be bothered switching sims...carphone warehouse have done me well in the past - paid about £10 for a Nokia with £10 credit on voda. Sorted

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
He has been advised not to take his iPhone 5 as it will be vulnerable

? What theft? In India?

I find it funny when English people think places like India are dangerous.

No drink or drugs, and most believe in karma.

Charity in India- so condesending, maybe it's the English who need some 'moral' charity from India?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
? What theft? In India?

I find it funny when English people think places like India are dangerous.

No drink or drugs, and most believe in karma.

Charity in India- so condesending, maybe it's the English who need some 'moral' charity from India?

I would like to assure worried travellers that there are drink and drugs a plenty in India and anyone who doesn't think so has either never been there or is blind.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I would like to assure worried travellers that there are drink and drugs a plenty in India and anyone who doesn't think so has either never been there or is blind.

i would like to assure world travellers that there are relatively hardly any drink or drugs in India, anyone who thinks so surely stays well in the touristy type or business type areas.

(note: in this comment i am not including shiva worshiping bong smokers....as those would be unable to steal an iphone if they even wanted to).

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
i would like to assure world travellers that there are relatively hardly any drink or drugs in India, anyone who thinks so surely stays well in the touristy type or business type areas.

(note: in this comment i am not including shiva worshiping bong smokers....as those would be unable to steal an iphone if they even wanted to).

Horseshit (from the worst kind of travel snob). Whilst it is true that I haven't drunk or taken drugs in India for fifteen years so I can only speak to their availability historically, I have attended NA and AA meetings all over (check their websites). I very rarely see other westerners, only locals. These meetings are thriving. Very odd.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
If your son goes to the shop of whoever his provider is, chances are they will give him an adapter for free anyway. The T Mobile Shop gave me one. Its literally a piece of plastic about the size of a thumbnail. Not too scientific.

Also as advised further up: VERY important to switch off your mobile data if you take a smartphone. It will be looking for updates for the various pieces of gumph all the time if it isn't. India may be cheap compared to Europe, but any mobile data charges won't be!

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Horseshit (from the worst kind of travel snob). Whilst it is true that I haven't drunk or taken drugs in India for fifteen years so I can only speak to their availability historically, I have attended NA and AA meetings all over (check their websites). I very rarely see other westerners, only locals. These meetings are thriving. Very odd.

every sort of meeting thrives in India as there a over 1 billion people....but generally it is nothing like England regarding hedonism, drink, drugs, and theft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here