Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train travel

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Not a high train usage person but want to go to Stoke on Trent tomorrow to look at a car.
so train the easiest option if i want to drive it home.

Am i better booking a return in case i don't like it or a single, then another single if necessary? I guess it a lot more expensive, 2 singles instead of a return.
Also best price i have found it £87.90 which seems a lot to me is it?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think they sell cars in Brighton. Someone had to say it.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Generally, you have to book in advance to get a decent price.
You just have to look up all the options on line. It's often little more to by a return than a single, but not always the case.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I think they sell cars in Brighton. Someone had to say it.

I know :)

Whats more i don'y actually need it, it just a fun one i fancy buying to have fun with, but know it will just sit on the drive not getting used :facepalm:
Just boys and the're toys.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Don't necessarily buy a through ticket from wherever your starting (Brighton?). Atm you can get a single from Euston to SoT for £15 and a single back for £13; you will be committed to certain trains though.

So by the time i add in Btn to Victoria and the tube, not going to work out much cheaper is it.

A what card ???
http://www.network-railcard.co.uk/

Save all year on train travel

A Network Railcard gives you 1/3 off most rail fares for journeys in the Network Railcard area and can also save you money on trips to and around London.

The Network Railcard costs £30 and is valid for 12 months.

What discounts do I get?

A Network Railcard gives you 1/3 off most standard adult rail fares for travel in the Network Railcard area.

The added benefit is that up to three adults can travel with you and they will also get 1/3 off their rail fare. Plus, you can take up to four children (aged 5 to 15 years) with you and save 60% on each child fare.

When can I use my Network Railcard?

You can buy Network Railcard discounted tickets for travel any time on weekends and public holidays or from 10.00 Monday to Friday. You may be able to start your journey a little earlier than 10.00, see Easements for details or check at your local station.

The 10.00 Monday to Friday time restriction applies to all types of tickets.

A minimum fare applies for ALL journeys Monday to Friday

Minimum Fares

The minimum discounted adult fare payable is £13 on all journeys Monday to Friday. The minimum fare does not apply at weekends or on Public Holidays.

The minimum discounted child fare payable is £1 at all times.

The minimum fare payable for Anytime Day Travelcards is £16.40 at all times. The minimum fare payable for Off-Peak Day Travelcards is £13 Monday to Friday and £5.90 on weekends and public holidays.

Minimum fares apply to each individual travelling, not to the total value of tickets purchased.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
singles are the worst way to buy tickets. i had to make a short trip recently, return was 10p more than the single. pretty sure theres only £1 difference in the Brighton-London price too.

singles are the worst way to buy tickets. i had to make a short trip recently, return was 10p more than the single. pretty sure theres only £1 difference in the Brighton-London price too.
If you buy a Brighton - London ticket for part of a journey to Stoke on Trent, make sure it includes travel from Victoria to Euston.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for that, seems a very way for regular user to save money, but personally I use the train once every few years, if I. Used it twice in the same year I would consider myself a comuter.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
So by the time i add in Btn to Victoria and the tube, not going to work out much cheaper is it.

By buying a 'super off peak' travelcard online, it works out cheaper than a single plus you have your tube included. If the car deal goes belly up, then you have your return tube plus Victoria to Brighton ticket. If you drive home, simply chuck it away when home. Leave on the 10.04 or later on weekdays will cost £17.40. An anytime single to Victoria will cost £22.

You can sign up on Southern's Website. Book online then shove your debit/credit card into the ticket machine at Brighton Station and out pops your ticket. Simple.......

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Right, blown the the one out in stoke and now looking at Lowestoft.
As attached there is a single for £28 ( as opposed to £70 return) and it clearly shows a underground symbol in the route but nowhere does it say the ticket includes underground travel.
does it
View attachment 52078

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Right, blown the the one out in stoke and now looking at Lowestoft.
As attached there is a single for £28 ( as opposed to £70 return) and it clearly shows a underground symbol in the route but nowhere does it say the ticket includes underground travel.
does it
View attachment 52078

If there is a cross where it says validity it is valid on the underground

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here