Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooting mobile phones.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Can somebody explain what it is all about? Please type slowly using simple words. Thank you.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Oh well. I guess I foxed NSC.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can somebody explain what it is all about? Please type slowly using simple words. Thank you.

I've rooted a few Android phones. It means to gain root access which itself means that you have full control over which apps are on your phone. You don't need the bloatware that manufacturers often bung on there. You also, if the phone is popular, have a choice of different roms which are variations of the operating system which you can install on your phone, each with different attributes. There are often easy step guides or programs to help but you should proceed with caution as theoretically you could hard brick your device.

There are a bunch of programs which only work on rooted phones as well. I would start, if you wish to find out if it's for you, on xda forums where they will have specific details regarding the phone you own.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I've rooted a few Android phones. It means to gain root access which itself means that you have full control over which apps are on your phone. You don't need the bloatware that manufacturers often bung on there. You also, if the phone is popular, have a choice of different roms which are variations of the operating system which you can install on your phone, each with different attributes. There are often easy step guides or programs to help but you should proceed with caution as theoretically you could hard brick your device.

There are a bunch of programs which only work on rooted phones as well. I would start, if you wish to find out if it's for you, on xda forums where they will have specific details regarding the phone you own.

:mad::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek:

2014-03-16-17-40-01--723361205.jpeg

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
[B said:
blah, blah, blah .......... but you should proceed with caution as "theoretically you could hard brick your device".

No "theoretically" about it - trust me.:ffsparr:
Rooting will invalidate the warranty too, so bear that in mind

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No "theoretically" about it - trust me.:ffsparr:
Rooting will invalidate the warranty too, so bear that in mind

Rooting, as far as the HTC phones I've used, is a grey area. I've read some success stories where people have still been able to use the warranty. However there are loads who haven't, it seems to depend upon the individual who initially deals with the problem.

And sorry to hear of your troubles. Which phone did you manage to brick?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Thanks all.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Basically, "rooting" bypasses the builtin security of Andorid that has been the main reason Linux-based devices are less prone to viruses. Not only does it give YOU extra access, it also gives malicious apps access you would rather they didn't have.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Basically, "rooting" bypasses the builtin security of Andorid that has been the main reason Linux-based devices are less prone to viruses. Not only does it give YOU extra access, it also gives malicious apps access you would rather they didn't have.

Not true. I have a rooted phone and still have to consciously check 'allow installation from unknown sources'. Any Android phone will do that rooted or otherwise. As I said before, there are many more apps on the play store which will only work with rooted phones however.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Go into developer options and tick USB debugging. Basically gives you 'super user' access to the phone. Unlike Apple iOS, Android lets you tinker with the apps etc.

Not true. I have a rooted phone and still have to consciously check 'allow installation from unknown sources'. Any Android phone will do that rooted or otherwise. As I said before, there are many more apps on the play store which will only work with rooted phones however.

Serious question, I have an HTC phone that is a bit surplus to requirements, so I think I might have a go at rooting it. What sort of thing can I tinker with in the apps, and what apps can I do this too. And also, what apps are there that will only work on the rooted phone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here