Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ukrainian Military Repels Attempted Russian Incursion in main land Ukraine

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
KIEV — Ukraine's military scrambled aircraft and paratroops to confront Russian troops landing on a spit of land between Crimea and the mainland, defence officials said and the foreign ministry demanded their immediate withdrawal.

The border guard service said Ukrainian forces had taken up defensive positions on Arbatskaya Strelka, running parallel to the east of Crimea, now controlled by Russian forces. It said about 60 Russian troops had landed on the strip and begun digging in, assisted by three armoured personnel carriers.

Six Russian helicopters arrived with 60 more servicemen about two hours later outside the village of Strelkovoye. The border guard service said talks between the two sides established that the Russian servicemen were "guarding against possible terrorist acts" against a gas pumping station.

"At this time, there is no threat of confrontation," the Ukrainian border guard service said.

The defence ministry had earlier said troops dispatched to Arbatskaya Strelka had "immediately" repelled the incursion.

Ukraine's foreign ministry said the village had been occupied by Russian forces, though the border guards gave a different version. "The ministry is making public the Russian incursion and demands the immediate withdrawal of Russian armed forces from Ukraine's territory," it said.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2014/03/15/world/europe/15reuters-ukraine-crisis-repel.html

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Full scale invasion within the next 48 hours now ( I think )

Is Obama man or mouse ? ???

Surely it's nearly time to flood the border with arms shipments to the Ukrainian army ( the US said when requested for this ' No, not now, but that's not No forever' ).

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ukraine's only hope vs. Russian troops is to hire some Afghan mercenaries pronto tonto. Else they're a bit f*cked really.

Indeed. The Ukrainians fought the Soviets for 10 years after WWII, with a closed border to communist Poland on their west. If they get arms shipments across the Polish border now, this will be another Afganistan for Russia, and it will make Chechnya look like a friendly chat.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Full scale invasion within the next 48 hours now ( I think )

Is Obama man or mouse ? ???

Surely it's nearly time to flood the border with arms shipments to the Ukrainian army ( the US said when requested for this ' No, not now, but that's not No forever' ).

Invasion will be the legal term, but in Russian terms 'reinforcing Russian territory'. The referendum is tomorrow, and no doubt will vote in favour of joining the Federation. I would expect a flood of Russian troops in Crimea in the next 2-3 days. The gas pumps will be important to Russia, in November 2013; Ukraine signed a deal with Chevron for $10bn to extract Shale gas, as reserves indicated that Ukraine could be the largest exporter of gas in 2020. Guess where the largest fields are?

This is entirely about Russia keeping its noose firmly around Europe's neck, and I do not expect the West to react for the following reasons:
1) Gas; many major powers in Europe rely on Russian gas, Germany rely on 33% from Russia
2) Russia will use military force if need be, they did with Georgia despite the strategic relevance of the country. But the West did little in 2008 to support Georgia whilst Russian military just rolled through.
3) Our withdrawal from Afghanistan relies on Russian railways for our armoured vehicles.

I cannot find the picture, but Sky News this morning had a report from Pushkin square with a rally in support of the military intervention. There was a lot of red flags and old soviet banners, I anticipate Ukraine will turn into the next West/East Germany.

I keep hearing "return to the cold war" like the cold war ever ended, Russian foreign policy has always been fairly anti-West. The new Soviet Union will be the Eurasian Union.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
arm the Ukrainians? this isnt some backwater, they have a substatial army with plenty of toys from tanks to Hind helicopters to fighters which would make things difficult at least for Russia.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Let's leave it to the people who have some knowledge of the subject.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here