Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jesse Lingard's best position?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Clearly a very good young player but i think our formation maybe to rigid for his talents. I've got a feeling as the game progresses he will be given license to float just infront of the midfield and cause maximum havoc.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Clearly a very good young player but i think our formation maybe to rigid for his talents. I've got a feeling as the game progresses he will be given license to float just infront of the midfield and cause maximum havoc.

As he did when KLL came on on Tuesday.
His movement is really good, and he's quick. We just need to create some goalscoring opportunities for him. I like him a lot, but can't see him becoming a regular in the United team: he's 21 already.

WATFORD zero

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 10, 2003
I think that when Oscar has the players available, he likes to play a very flexible front 3 with the players drifting inside, wide and changing positions (and also interchanging with the attacking role of the midfield 3). As the players become more familiar, this will happen more and i can only see it benefiting Lingard.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think that when Oscar has the players available, he likes to play a very flexible front 3 with the players drifting inside, wide and changing positions (and also interchanging with the attacking role of the midfield 3). As the players become more familiar, this will happen more and i can only see it benefiting Lingard.

Oscar started off playing Orlandi in the advanced midfield role, yet he's been injured for so much of the season. That fluidity is most likely to come when they're both playing. It's a nice prospect that Orlandi ghosts out to the left, and whips in one of his delightful crosses for Ulloa to head, or Lingard to pick up any scraps.
It'd be nice if we could get the following playing in the front six for the majority of the rest of the games this season:

Ince---Stephens
Orlandi
Buckley--------------Ulloa--------------Lingard

With KLL, March, Lopez, JFC primed to come on, depending on the game situation. And that's without thinking about SD*2, Andrews or the possible of either CMS and Hoskins returning, or perhaps even both.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Best positons Ive seen him play is CF and just off the front man. He was United's top goalscorer pre season and he was quality in the United's reserves, Im sure he will do well with United. I think playing him outwide is a waste.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think his best position is back in Manchester.

Dec 29, 2011
Everyone on here was crying out for a quick, skillful winger a few months ago, and now we have one you want to send him back? I think he's a quality player for only 21 and, despite his age, he brings something to the side we haven't seen recently. He's direct and has been making good chances. He had two of our best chances yesterday yesterday and he only narrowly missed, if they had gone in you'd have been praising him. Compare this to Ulloa who's meant to be our best striker, he missed at least two sitters yesterday and no one bats an eyelid.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Everyone on here was crying out for a quick, skillful winger a few months ago, and now we have one you want to send him back? I think he's a quality player for only 21 and, despite his age, he brings something to the side we haven't seen recently. He's direct and has been making good chances. He had two of our best chances yesterday yesterday and he only narrowly missed, if they had gone in you'd have been praising him. Compare this to Ulloa who's meant to be our best striker, he missed at least two sitters yesterday and no one bats an eyelid.

pretty sure he is a striker and not a winger.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He seems a bit lightweight and doesn't seem to gel with the midfield. If Barnes had been in the team yesterday in his place he's probably have scored.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
He's too good for us. That much is sure. He'll be playing premiership next season. Anyone who knows about football could see how class he was yesterday. Confident, clever, quick and above all excellent off the ball at dragging players out of position and especially when Lua Lua came on clearly got him the space to play. It was no coincidence when he went off that Ipswich found it easier to contain Lua Lua. It was a joy to watch him.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I think his best position is back in Manchester.
Jesse looks lively, has a few tricks but has not looked like scoring and the opportunities he has have not been seized upon. I have heard of a £5m price tag and cannot concur with that valuation. For me he is still not robust enough and appears to lack the killer instinct when an opportunity arises, as for his speed I cannot say that he can turn it on in the way that Buckley can. he is a likeable guy but he needs to toughen up in the ways of the Championship. I want him to come good but we are running out of games and after half a dozen starts we should be seeing more than we are getting, for his own benefit as well as ours.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Lingard looked better yesterday, but still not anything near what I hoped he would be when he signed. He is so lightweight, and has clearly grown up to believe that ANY contact from a defender should result in him throwing himself to the floor.

Also, his one-on-one yesterday - at no point did I believe he would score from it, and I think he felt the same way.

I'd prefer March or Lua Lua to start, and can't wait for our crocked strikers to return and offer us further options.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
He's too good for us. That much is sure. He'll be playing premiership next season. Anyone who knows about football could see how class he was yesterday. Confident, clever, quick and above all excellent off the ball at dragging players out of position and especially when Lua Lua came on clearly got him the space to play. It was no coincidence when he went off that Ipswich found it easier to contain Lua Lua. It was a joy to watch him.

All very good, but he fluffed the one on one after six minutes, scoring that would have made me agree with you but he's not doing what he's paid to do, score goals. As with everything the team does, it counts for nothing if we don't score goals. he will not be playing in the prem next year, two loan spells in the championship with limited success tells me jesse will find a spot below the prem, as for his £5m valuation, don't think so.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

i think he offers promise....but unfortunately its about here and now....if he had converted that one on one it would have made him ..but he didn't and as you said Ulloa went on to miss a couple of good chances

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

that presumably got lost in the transalation then, I understood we were after a goal scoring forward , and please don't tell me what he did at Birmingham, we play a different style. I'm fed up with batting my eyelids and heavenward looks at the chances by Ulloa. Some how out transfer dealings leave a lot to be desired be they loan or permanent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here