Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

van Dijk

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Celtic not planning to sell Virgil van Dijk, says Neil Lennon
Celtic manager Neil Lennon says selling Virgil van Dijk in the summer is "not on the horizon".

The 22-year-old Dutch defender has enjoyed a hugely impressive first season at Celtic Park.

And his agent, Henk-Maarten Chin, was widely quoted in this week's newspapers suggesting a move to England.

But Lennon said: "He is one of our best players, we don't need to sell. Whether they want to go or not, it will be down to us to make that decision."

Van Dijk signed a three-year contract on the completion of his £2.6m transfer from FC Groningen.

And Lennon was not impressed by the interviews given by the representative of the former Netherlands U21 international.

"I was disappointed with the timing of it and I think Virgil was disappointed too because he had no idea that it was coming," he explained.

"It is a bit premature. He is on a three-year contract here. I would guard against that.

"We have brought him in and put him in an environment where he has thrived and prospered, he is our player. But obviously I can't stop speculation about a move to a bigger club, south of the border, such as Brighton"

Lennon also confirmed that Celtic had withdrawn their appeal of Van Dijk's red card picked up against Aberdeen last month which means he will miss Friday's league visit to Kilmarnock

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
That Lennon is such a Dijk

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Celtic not planning to sell Virgil van Dijk, says Neil Lennon
Celtic manager Neil Lennon says selling Virgil van Dijk in the summer is "not on the horizon".

The 22-year-old Dutch defender has enjoyed a hugely impressive first season at Celtic Park.

And his agent, Henk-Maarten Chin, was widely quoted in this week's newspapers suggesting a move to England.

But Lennon said: "He is one of our best players, we don't need to sell. Whether they want to go or not, it will be down to us to make that decision."

Van Dijk signed a three-year contract on the completion of his £2.6m transfer from FC Groningen.

And Lennon was not impressed by the interviews given by the representative of the former Netherlands U21 international.

"I was disappointed with the timing of it and I think Virgil was disappointed too because he had no idea that it was coming," he explained.

"It is a bit premature. He is on a three-year contract here. I would guard against that.

"We have brought him in and put him in an environment where he has thrived and prospered, he is our player. But obviously I can't stop speculation about a move to a bigger club, south of the border, such as Brighton"

Lennon also confirmed that Celtic had withdrawn their appeal of Van Dijk's red card picked up against Aberdeen last month which means he will miss Friday's league visit to Kilmarnock

:lolol: he never said that!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Irrespective of this, I can't help feeling that we should have taken a punt on Virgil as, even if we had had to sell someone to fund the deal what with FFP etc, it was pretty clear, even at that time, that it would have been a top mark investment for the club.
Would of been a quality signing, things seemed to break down with Poyet when this signing didnt happen, or maybe just a coincidence?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
An absolute collosus in defence. Can't emphasise how good he could have been for us.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Irrespective of this, I can't help feeling that we should have taken a punt on Virgil as, even if we had had to sell someone to fund the deal what with FFP etc, it was pretty clear, even at that time, that it would have been a top mark investment for the club.

Agreed, wouldn't have been a punt, more a sure fire, copper bottomed 100% winner.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But had he signed for us, he wouldn't have put showstopping performances in against Barca, Ajax & AC Milan.

It's clear he would have been 'brilliant', but he only would have been second division brilliant.
Which would easily put off a fair few suitors and knock money off the asking price.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed, wouldn't have been a punt, more a sure fire, copper bottomed 100% winner.

No player is EVER a sure fire, copper bottomed, 100% winner when he signs for a new club. Not even if his name is Lionel Messi or Christiano Ronaldo. Remember, Van Dijk had never played football in this country before. Yes ok so he has done very well, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. It could easily have turned out completely differently.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Full marks to the Albion for identifying him and trying to get him, our scouting system sometimes gets criticised but they clearly did something right in this case.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Looks like he's off to Southampton for £11.5 million

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not convinced he has the pace for the Premiership maybe for the Championship. Looks OK in a poor Celtic side with a pretty feeble other back 3. Quite happy with what we have got.

TNBA

TTF

Will be interesting to see him in the Prem. When I've seen him he looks dynamite going forward but a very lazy defender.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here