Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When exactly was the moment Bono disappeared right up his own backside?

When did he become a cock?

• Always been a cock.

Votes: 49 45.8%
  • Boy period

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • October period

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • War period

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The Unforgettable Fire period

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • The Joshua Tree period

Votes: 14 13.1%
  • Rattle and Hum period (definite signs here inmho)

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Achtung Baby period

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Zooropa period

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Pop period

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • All that You Cant Leave Behind period

• Atomic Bomb period

• No Line on the Horizon period

• Never been a knob, you misunderstand the cuban heels, wrap-round indoor shades and preaching

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it is fair to say that Bono has not always been universally disliked. U2 were a credible highly acclaimed alternative rock band for some time. So when was it?

Poll to follow.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Will the poll have a hamster-related option?

Can't remember ever liking him tbh...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I lost interest in them as a band when they released Actung Baby. Although I think he started the journey up his own arse a while before that. All that talking on Rattle and Hum soon became very tedious. and he's peeling off those dollar bills, Slapping them down, One hundred, two hundred, three hundred, etc etc.

Sure there was/is a sound message behind what he says but it is hard to hear through his sphincter.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think it has a slow process but i have gone for when he hit the point of no return and disappeared up his own anus forever.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
For me he's always been a CJTC, but then I'm too young to know what he was like in the early days of U2.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
He's appears to have had so many periods, it's no wonder he's a pain.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Waving a flag around during the War, Live Aid phase. That's when he knew he could achieve ultimate cockability. And he has not disappointed. Although Clayton and Edge are pushing him close too.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I voted Prattle & Shun. Can't say I was aware of his odiousness before the film/album, but he was probably just playing a waiting game before that time.

Actually, he did provide one of my favourite rock n roll anecdotes though:-

At a U2 concert in Glasgow, Bono asks the audience for some quiet. Then in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands. Holding the audience in total silence, he says into the microphone, 'Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies.' A voice from near the front pierces the silence: 'Well, stop clapping your ****ing hands then!'. :clap:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I started getting into U2 when The Unforgettable Fire came out, so listened to that a lot, and War. Then Joshua Tree was my first ever CD, given to me by my dad on his second wedding day. So I have fond memories of U2 back in the days of being a VI former.

But then Rattle & Hum and spoilt it.

Rattle & Hum was self indulgent drivel, and that's when I decided BONEO [(c) Alan Partridge] was a bit of a cock, so that's what I'd vote for. Funnily enough, I later respected him for Zooropa, as I do with any big band who doing something a bit different, and Zooropa was a clear departure from the norm for U2 and Bono.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Whilst it all started at Rattle and Hum, the full on cock period really kicked in after Achtung Baby and the Zoo TV tours. I saw them at Wembley Stadium and I reckon at least half anhour of their two hour set was wasted with preaching, he even brought Salman Rushdie on stage around the time he was supposed to be in hiding.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
'85 - still love all the music up to an including Achtung baby, doesn't stop him being a cock though. Much like the Smiths & Morrissey

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The day he chose to wear sunglasses when he was inside a room probably. You can pretty well guarantee anyone that does that is a bit of a self important ****.

Imagine being on a long haul flight with Bono on one side of you and Sting on the other. The saviours of Africa and the South American rain forests on either side of you.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Rattle and Hum was rubbish. Absolute tosh. However, he was displaying bloated rock star tendencies before that. I was at Wembley Stadium 1987 on the Joshua Tree tour :blush: and I remember Bono saying "This is a big, big stadium. But let me tell you this, every single one of you is as big as this stadium." People roared their approval, but it was the beginning of the end for me - as someone who had really enjoyed The Unforgettable Fire (I still play it occasionally), and who liked The Joshua Tree. Rattle and Hum was the last album of theirs that I bought, as well as being the first to be sold on eBay (£2.50 buy-it-now - very happy). Still like Wide Awake In America. A friend of mine had a four x 7" picture disc set of Bono interviews. Really tedious stuff about all he could as a rock star to make the world a better place. It's a shame really, as he probably does genuinely want to help, but undermines it by being a ridiculous tax-dodging nincompoop.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
At a U2 concert in Glasgow, Bono asks the audience for some quiet. Then in the silence, he starts to slowly clap his hands. Holding the audience in total silence, he says into the microphone, 'Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies.' A voice from near the front pierces the silence: 'Well, stop clapping your ****ing hands then!'. :clap:

lolz.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here