Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Pay as you play"

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I see this phrase banded about all over this forum whenever there is a speculative player acquisition thread (see all the resign BZ/Vicente threads) and it irks me greatly. When has any player who is even remotely good enough to be considered an important member of a championship level squad, EVER EVER signed on a "pay as you play" deal?

Somebody please give me ONE example of anyone that has signed for a championship level team (or higher) on a "pay as you play" deal, that didn't also include some kind of coaching role.

Please stop posting these stupid "yes I think we should sign player x but only on a pay as you play deal" posts.

That is all.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not pay as you play but you'll find quite a few injury prone players will now settle for a contract where they are given a basic wage with substantial appearance bonuses. ie If they play in a match they get an extra x amount added to their pay package.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Not pay as you play but you'll find quite a few injury prone players will now settle for a contract where they are given a basic wage with substantial appearance bonuses. ie If they play in a match they get an extra x amount added to their pay package.

Yep, some even have pay related to how many minutes they play if they come on as a sub etc (was told this by one of the players)

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Didn't Hargreaves join Man City (?) on a pay as you play deal a couple of years ago? Don't think he earned a lot.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Graduated deals, based on appearances are not unknown.

I know for a fact that we offered Vicente such a deal, at the end of his first season, when there was speculation about whether we would or would not re-sign him.

Something along the lines of
"If you play less than 10 matches, your weekly wage will be <insert modest wage here>.
If you play between 10 and 20 matches, then your weekly wage will be <insert higher wage here>.
If you play 20 matches, then your weekly wage will be <insert very decent wage here>.
If you play more than 30 matches then you will be the highest paid player at the club"

(I don't know any of the figures, so don't ask)

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

Michael Owen was on this deal at United.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I know for a fact that we offered Vicente such a deal, at the end of his first season, when there was speculation about whether we would or would not re-sign him.

"If you play less than 10 matches, your weekly wage will be <insert modest wage here>.
If you play between 10 and 20 matches, then your weekly wage will be <insert higher wage here>.
If you play 20 matches, then your weekly wage will be <insert very decent wage here>.
If you play more than 30 matches then you will be the highest paid player at the club"

I assume the last 2 clauses were put in there "just for a laugh".

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Robert Pires had a deal like this when he played for Villa under Houllier. Which is why no matter how poor he was he was always on the bench for Villa and almost always got subbed on even when goals were needed. And he was chauffeured to and from London for practice and matches..... Tough life.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
When Robbie Fowler had a spell at liverpool towards the end of his career wasnt that pay as you play

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading

While we are on the subject why are player salaries always quoted as "per week" and not annual amounts? Why is it not quoted GBP520,000/year instead of 10k/week?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It works on golf courses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here