Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kosher slaughter

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
This is causing me real angst:

angst
aŋst/Submit
noun
a feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the world in general.

The Daily Mail feeds off of anxiety and dread. I'm honestly not sure what's worse though... The Mail and their deliberate, hysteria based stories? Or the easily riled up, moron reader who act like the worlds going to end when they read them?

If you are a meat eater then I would worry about the angst the animals you eat go though to get to your table before worrying about what others are doing. If you are a vegetarian then fair play I suppose, otherwise you just come across as a self righteous hypocrite who probably doesn't have a clue the suffering animals go though during 'normal' slaughter.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Reminds me of the debate about offside "rules". It's all about interpretation.

The religious argument is very well intended. Animals shouldn't be harmed and must be treated with respect in their life prior to killing.

The most effective and quick way of killing known to man (or God) was to slit the animal throat.

If you don't do that, then sorry you can't eat it.

Stunning (which isn't in itself that nice) is seen as harming the animal prior to death.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
angst
aŋst/Submit
noun
a feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the world in general.

The Daily Mail feeds off of anxiety and dread. I'm honestly not sure what's worse though... The Mail and their deliberate, hysteria based stories? Or the easily riled up, moron reader who act like the worlds going to end when they read them?

If you are a meat eater then I would worry about the angst the animals you eat go though to get to your table before worrying about what others are doing. If you are a vegetarian then fair play I suppose, otherwise you just come across as a self righteous hypocrite who probably doesn't have a clue the suffering animals go though during 'normal' slaughter.
I didn't pick the Daily Mail deliberately; it was on top of the story last week on The BBC about both Halal and Kosher slaughter. I am totally aware of the suffering animals endure. My angst is that I cannot see why, if stunning is considered obligatory (which I do not necessarily buy) why that is optional for some citizens but not others.

My vegetarianism or otherwise is irrelevant.

I also have an issue as to why our prime minister is making "electoral" commitments to a foreign audience. What does it have to do with them?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Reminds me of the debate about offside "rules". It's all about interpretation.

The religious argument is very well intended. Animals shouldn't be harmed and must be treated with respect in their life prior to killing.

The most effective and quick way of killing known to man (or God) was to slit the animal throat.

If you don't do that, then sorry you can't eat.
I know that is the argument. But let's says my religion says I should stone adulterers. Am I allowed a different law to the rest of society?

D

Deleted member 22389

They have actually banned this in Denmark now.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...imal-rights-come-before-religion-9135580.html

So either ban it completely or start having proper labelling. In Luton it was not unusual to see Halal displayed on the front of butchers signs.
Honestly we have probably been eating Halal without even realising it. If I have it doesn't really bother me, but these things have to work both ways so at least people can make that choice.

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/10308743.Row_over_Halal_meat_at_school/
http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/ne..._three_quarters_of_council_supported_schools/

Last edited by a moderator:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Religion is hokum, it should have died out centuries ago. These ancient holy books should not be taken seriously. Live your life how you want and eat what you want, not by rules laid down by nutters. Democracy should dictate food rules not zealots quoting ancient scripts. Would modern day Jews eat kosher if they had to kill the creatures themselves? That's enough for now, have a nice day.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is causing me real angst:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25...us-slaughter-animals-Britain-trip-Israel.html
So why is anyone allowed to have different LAWS because of their religion?

Either it is necessary to have stunning pre-slaughter or it isn't.

Shock horror-Religious eating practices are barbaric,weird and stupid.

Of course its wrong to sacrifice animals in this way

On a side note if anyone finds the process of kosher and halal meat distasteful and the companies that do this distasteful-have a quick search at our own catering suppliers and their involvement in this market.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Honestly we have probably been eating Halal without even realising it. If I have it doesn't really bother me, but these things have to work both ways so at least people can make that choice.

But isnt that the point?It may not bother you how the animals are killed but it does bother some people,many people consider it cruel.
Hiding behind religious reasons is silly and stoneage.

D

Deleted member 22389

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have often wondered why it has been so hard for Supermarkets, Restaurants and Takeaways to tell their customers what they are eating.

its not hard as such.
But as you said people like you are not bothered either way so why should the supermarkets give a toss when some of their customers dont either.

D

Deleted member 22389

its not hard as such.
But as you said people like you are not bothered either way so why should the supermarkets give a toss when some of their customers dont either.

If stuff was properly labelled I wouldn't buy it. Nobody gives us this choice at the moment.
http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/ieat-british-halal-dishes-roll-into-sainsburys/354977.article

As with these new meals that have been launched above, is there anything on the packaging that would indicate Halal.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Cant really say how animals feel about it... throat being cut, or stunned then bolts fired into their heads... tbh, its not something that bothers me in the slightest...the harsh reality is, I eat meat....its killed in order to get it to my plate.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Cant really say how animals feel about it... throat being cut, or stunned then bolts fired into their heads... tbh, its not something that bothers me in the slightest...the harsh reality is, I eat meat....its killed in order to get it to my plate.

What's wrong dave ? Eight hours into a thread with a religious connection and you havent mentioned your mini skirt wearing , alcohol drinking Muslim girlfriend :lolol:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If stuff was properly labelled I wouldn't buy it. Nobody gives us this choice at the moment.
http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/ieat-british-halal-dishes-roll-into-sainsburys/354977.article

As with these new meals that have been launched above, is there anything on the packaging that would indicate Halal.

There seems to be some confusion between meat considered Halal and Schechita, the Jewish religious slaughter of animals.

The vast majority of meat which is Halal is from animals that have been stunned prior to slaughter - nearly 90%

There is very little chance of unknowingly eating Schechita prepared meat as there are very few licensed abattoirs and the meat from those is in high demand.

D

Deleted member 22389

There seems to be some confusion between meat considered Halal and Schechita, the Jewish religious slaughter of animals.

The vast majority of meat which is Halal is from animals that have been stunned prior to slaughter - nearly 90%

There is very little chance of unknowingly eating Schechita prepared meat as there are very few licensed abattoirs and the meat from those is in high demand.

Stunned and then slaughtered. I suppose the stunning part is to keep within the rules?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Think the idea with halal is that the animal shouldnt suffer before its put to death... stunning would be considered 'added suffering' I would have thought...?
Not sure about the kosher rules, but I would imagine its similer..
British non halal meat is stunned, and then slaughtered..either way, its a no win situation for the animal...at the end of the day, im a meat eater, that doesnt have to kill the animal myself.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Religion is hokum, it should have died out centuries ago. These ancient holy books should not be taken seriously. Live your life how you want and eat what you want, not by rules laid down by nutters. Democracy should dictate food rules not zealots quoting ancient scripts. Would modern day Jews eat kosher if they had to kill the creatures themselves? That's enough for now, have a nice day.

Doug you do spout some rubbish - Democracy should dictate food rules ??? I would love to hear your definition of that - one that a double decker bus couldn't be driven through would be nice :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here