Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lualua - more than a super-sub?

Walker_this_way

Oct 18, 2011
I worry that if Oscar only uses Kaz for 20 minutes every now and then, depending on whether he is 'needed', then he will be tempted to leave us in the summer. As a winger he is far more effective than Buckley and poses such a great threat to defenders that I am baffled that he does not start more often, even with he continuing knee troubles.

When he came on against QPR you could see straight away that the player, and the fans, got a major boost out of it and genuinely believed we could get that winner.

It would be a major blow to our team if Kaz leaves next season. He wants regular football, understandably as he is phenomenal, and if we don't play him I feel his Albion days are numbered.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
If you can tell me 3 games where Kaz has been "phenomenal" I'd agree with you. For whatever reason he is much more effective coming off the bench.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Lualua - more than a super-sub?"

No. That's EXACTLY what he is. For whatever reason, he is FAR more effective coming off the bench than when he starts.

We could do with getting him on a bit earlier though, if things are not working. 55 minutes, rather than 75.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Kaz plays to his forté as an impact sub.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm sure someone will correct me but since our promotion from League 1, I am genuinely struggling to remember him having a good 90 minute game. This season in particular he hasn't been good when on from the start.

I have the same feeling as the OP that he might be off in search of first team football. T'is a shame.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Brilliant off the bench but he's not the same player when he starts - I'm not sure why, perhaps as the opposition are more tired late on but he's nowhere near as effective when he starts. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Kaz but IMO right now he's much better off the bench.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He's had chances to prove that he is a starter and not taken them.

If he keeps proving it off the bench then he WILL get another chance. Not sure what more OG can do for him.

Buckley starting to look good again so not straight forward guarenteed game time in some description fo Lua Lua anymore

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I worry that if Oscar only uses Kaz for 20 minutes every now and then, depending on whether he is 'needed', then he will be tempted to leave us in the summer. As a winger he is far more effective than Buckley and poses such a great threat to defenders that I am baffled that he does not start more often, even with he continuing knee troubles.

When he came on against QPR you could see straight away that the player, and the fans, got a major boost out of it and genuinely believed we could get that winner.

It would be a major blow to our team if Kaz leaves next season. He wants regular football, understandably as he is phenomenal, and if we don't play him I feel his Albion days are numbered.

Completely agree with this mate, but unfortunately the reality of it is is he is is an impact sub I think he would be a great signing for a league 1 side though !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Of the two I would sooner that given a choice we would keep Buckley as I believe that he offers a lot more than Lua Lua who does not produce the goods if started. If Lua Lua is adamant let him go but he is a good back up /sub for us, so we should try to keep him and Buckley.

Walker_this_way

Oct 18, 2011
But he wants to start and if we lose him then we lose our 'impact sub'. I think last season against Palace proved that Kaz and Buckley both starting is a deadly combo, why not go for it from the off rather than drag him on for 20 minutes when we are struggling.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

No. That's EXACTLY what he is. For whatever reason, he is FAR more effective coming off the bench than when he starts.

We could do with getting him on a bit earlier though, if things are not working. 55 minutes, rather than 75.

This all day long. Can't remember the last game where he performed anywhere near as well from the off than he does as a sub. His attributes PERFECTLY suit coming on with 20-25 mins to go against tired legs, lifting the crowd as well.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

But we don't want to score our one goal too early and have to defend on the edge of our box for too long, do we?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'm sure someone will correct me but since our promotion from League 1, I am genuinely struggling to remember him having a good 90 minute game. This season in particular he hasn't been good when on from the start.

I have the same feeling as the OP that he might be off in search of first team football. T'is a shame.

I hope that he sees what I assume Oscar sees and that's that he doesn't have the energy to be that explosive for a full 90 mins and so he is in his element coming on with 1/2 to 1/4 of the game remaining and changing the tempo completely.

The change I'd rather Oscar made is that instead of bring Kaz on "if needed", he is a default substitution which always happens at around the 60 mark and only in exceptional circumstances would he not come on (early red or injury or such like).

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I agree with the Buckley comment above. There was a 5/10 minute spell on Tuesday where he went into his almost unplayable mode, when he's like that he's the biggest attacking threat we have and our most exciting player.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I wish I could read minds like you. How do you know he is not happy with being an integral part of a play-off chasing championship team who as an important part to play using his ability to change games?

I think it's safe to say any ambitious young player who reckons they could probably get to the Prem would like to be playing as much football as humanly possible? Just a guess though.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree with the Buckley comment above. There was a 5/10 minute spell on Tuesday where he went into his almost unplayable mode, when he's like that he's the biggest attacking threat we have and our most exciting player.
Oh have we signed another Buckley.

After all many on this board, although they won't admit it now, I add parenthetically, wanted to drive him to Selhurst, Sunderland, anywhere, for the price of a tank of petrol, just 6 weeks ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here