Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for NSC writers/bloggers

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I am trying to up my game in terms of becoming a writer. Currently starting a novel based in Liverpool and trying to get some critiques of writing as I go along on other short stories.

Do any of you know of any good sites for publishing work to be reviewed/critiqued? I have found one, Protagonize, but would welcome any knowledge in this area from others on here. I know there are quite a few out there.

Cheers in advance.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was thinking to start an Official NSC Writers Thread, as the Jogging thread and Music threads have proved successful. Perhaps this could be it?

Ever done nanowrimo? www.nanowrimo.org Have written the skeletons of 2-3 novels using that, and then fleshed them out/edited after.

Also interested to know what people use for writing novels etc? I use Scrivener on Mac and think it is absolutely superb.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I was thinking to start an Official NSC Writers Thread, as the Jogging thread and Music threads have proved successful. Perhaps this could be it?

Ever done nanowrimo? www.nanowrimo.org Have written the skeletons of 2-3 novels using that, and then fleshed them out/edited after.

Also interested to know what people use for writing novels etc? I use Scrivener on Mac and think it is absolutely superb.

Thanks. Yes, I think a thread like that would work. I've signed up for Nanowrino and will certainly give it a go this year. The Guardian published a supplement last year on process for writing a novel structure in a month last year and that was useful too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks. Yes, I think a thread like that would work. I've signed up for Nanowrino and will certainly give it a go this year. The Guardian published a supplement last year on process for writing a novel structure in a month last year and that was useful too.

I also have a couple of friends with whom we have themed writing weeks/months, i.e. we all have to write a short story in that month, each of us takes it in turns to set the parameters (Word count, theme/genres etc). If you know 2 or 3 like-minded people this can be a good way to stay in practice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Set the thread up!

I have a 75k darkly comic novel that I sent to one agent and am awaiting feedback from them on. In the five weeks I've been waiting I've got 30k through another one but its all haphazard. With a blog and a full time job and continuous arsing around on here I tend to write it on the train to and from work or get up very early at weekends.

I follow a lot of writers on twitter - published, indie and new starters - and a lot do nanowrimo. My only problem with it is that I want to be able to write when I have something in my head (and not when I haven't) and that, if you follow it then debut manuscripts end up with agents / publishers in peaks and troughs.

On twitter look for the hashtags #amwriting and #writetip - both usually used by interesting and informative people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here