Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lingard and Ulloa...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
How's it working out for them?

I have seen all 3 games that they have played together and i find it encouraging that the two seem to be linking up fairly well, i'd like to see Lingard try and play slightly closer to Ulloa and take a few more knock downs from Ulloa and run at defenders.

I don't think it will be long before Lingard gets a goal, not really had too many chances yet, but I can see one coming, another 2-0 this weekend, one each. :mad:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Lingard has done well. He's added tempo to our attacking play and seems to be more involved than Rodriguez, and more of a threat than Obika. For me he starts with Ulloa and Buckley wide right, Kaz as supersub.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
3 games - 2 wins and one that we would have won had the ref not been powder puff.
Stunning performances by the team? No. He's been an effective addition though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Lindgard has taken some of the pressure and workload from Ulloa. In fairness I thought he looked lightweight on tuesday and was knocked off the ball a little too easily. However I like his running, he does cause headaches for defenders, has already contributed one awarded penalty and distraction assist for the Reading o.g.

I'd like to see him play stronger and maybe show us some the shooting that looked so good on youtube, but all in all I think he has been a welcome help to Ulloa.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Sorry to say, but not too impressed at the moment. Ran into good positions, very lightweight, did not shoot, did not take on anyone. But it is early days and I think the best is to come. I did not think that Ulloa played very well and before the goal his body language was not good,he was probably very tired.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
3 games - 2 wins and one that we would have won had the ref not been powder puff.
Stunning performances by the team? No. He's been an effective addition though.

Yeah l'd agree with this. Still very early days, and he is only going to get better. Be interesting to see exactly where Oscar iintends to play him, just behind Leo?, wide right?, wide left?, he can play in all three positions. Would still like to see an out and out wiide man in there too though, be it Buckers, Solly, or Kaz. We just don't seem to be the same team without pace and width in the side.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Buckley is showing signs of getting back to his best, and I expect him to be a regular starter from now on in. Ulloa will need support as the game come thick and fast. Lingard is fit and tracks back well. David Rodriguez and Obika can do one.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Buckley is showing signs of getting back to his best, and I expect him to be a regular starter from now on in. Ulloa will need support as the game come thick and fast. Lingard is fit and tracks back well. David Rodriguez and Obika can do one.

Big thing I have noticed too, works a lot off of the ball and tracks back very well. doesnt always make a tackle but makes it hard for someone to get a pass/cross away.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just needs to get closer to big Leo, and take a shot if he gets a chance.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think Lingard has done well. He's added tempo to our attacking play and seems to be more involved than Rodriguez, and more of a threat than Obika. For me he starts with Ulloa and Buckley wide right, Kaz as supersub.

That's certainly my reading of it too. He's certainly more willing to get involved than what we've had previously.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'd go along with this. But given that, apart from next week, we've got two games a week as of now, I'd like to see Leo being rested if we're up and looking comfortable in a few games, and that leaves the question of who plays in his role. I'm not sure that I have a good answer to this question. The options are:
Obika, no
Rodriguez, maybe but probably not
Lingard, most likely candidate
Hoskins, will he be fit?
CMS, will he be fitter than Hoskins?
Buckley, maybe
KLL, maybe

Sorry to say, but not too impressed at the moment. Ran into good positions, very lightweight, did not shoot, did not take on anyone. But it is early days and I think the best is to come. I did not think that Ulloa played very well and before the goal his body language was not good,he was probably very tired.

Wasted out wide, not playing to his strengths - needs to be running at central defenders

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill

I have seen all 3 games that they have played together and i find it encouraging that the two seem to be linking up fairly well, i'd like to see Lingard try and play slightly closer to Ulloa and take a few more knock downs from Ulloa and run at defenders.

I don't think it will be long before Lingard gets a goal, not really had too many chances yet, but I can see one coming, another 2-0 this weekend, one each. :mad:

I think the link up play has been key - certainly on Tuesday. Ulloa (and before that Barnes) has spent months trying to hold the ball up and bring players in to the game as the catch up. On Tuesday, at least half a dozen times in the second half alone he got the chance to nod or tap it on one touch as Jesse was running past him on to it. I agree with other posts - not ripping up trees yet, but certainly bringing back something to our game which has been missing for a long time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All of this.

What I like about Lingard is that makes some clever runs against the direction the defenders find themselves running. If he plays a little closer to Ulloa I think we'll see him score a few goals in the run in.

What was the point of Obika? He really is utter gash at this level, we may as well send him back to Spurs now. Rodriguez has contributed jack shìt too.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lingard had a good 1st half v Millwall and Reading , showed glimpses v QPR but didnt play well IMO. Looks a bit light weight at the moment.

Did it for Birmingham though so should be OK.

More to come hopefully

Buckley looking good again

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Like the look of Lingard although I don't see him as a 2nd striker. He does however, give us someone breaking from deep and running into channels. We look much better balanced with him in the side, as his running creates space for Ulloa...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Haven't seen anything from Lingard yet in the two home games personally. Hope he come good for us but where is his best position ? He seems like a little boy lost.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

Lingard was a ridiculous loan signing we need strikers not more midfielders that nobody else wants,when the Pole in goal leaves in the summer are we gonna sign another midfielder to replace him FFS:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here