Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If I was a rich man.....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
What are you worth?
Calculating net worth

The firm surveyed 2,000 adults aged from 18 to 55+, though respondents were mainly in the 25-to-45 age group.

They were asked about the value of eight assets: mortgage equity, pension savings, household belongings, investments, cars, normal savings, ISAs and the balance of their current account.

These are the largest assets most commonly found in probate cases and are the ones asked about when it comes to writing a will.

The table below displays the average values per asset gathered from the research from largest to smallest.Asset
Average value

Mortgage equity
£75,060.45

Pension
£30,000

Household belongings
£15,077.90

Investments
£9,624.63

Car
£6,706.55

Savings
£5,603.98

ISA
£3,712.65

Current account balance
£1,348.16

Total net worth
£147,134.32

Source: Irwin Mitchell

According to the study mortgage equity makes up most of a person's net worth, contributing over half to the final overall figure at £75,060.45. You can work out the amount of mortgage equity you have by taking your home's current market value minus how much you have left to pay on your mortgage.

The next biggest contributor to our wealth is pension savings. On average respondents in the survey had £30,000 built up, or around 20% of our net worth. This is broadly in line with the £36,800 figure the Association of British Insurers estimates is in the average UK pension pot.

The value of our household belongings and car made up 15% of the final total while savings, ISAs and investments only made up around 13%. According to the study we aren't hitting our full cash ISA allowance (£5,640) with an average balance of £3,712.65. However, investments have a much healthier figure at £9,624.63.

Lastly the average balance of a current account made up less than 0.01%.

Worth more than we think

While those surveyed were found to be worth just under £150,000 on average it appears that figure is more than most people expected.

When asked what they believed they were worth in monetary terms 46% said they had 'no idea', 11% didn't understand the question and 42% didn't think they were worth much at all.

Solicitors from Irwin Mitchell says we're worth more than we might think and are urging people to consider how they want their estate to be administered after they die.

According to the firm, six out of 10 people don't have a will in place and a third don't have any plans to make one. Having nothing to leave anyone and fears of lifelong debt are the most common reasons given for 16 million people not getting the right paperwork in place.

In addition, the survey found that 47% of people don't know how assets are distributed after death, while 54% have no idea what accounts and investments their partner or family has.

Compare savings accounts

What are you worth?

I've never given much thought to what I'm worth in monetary terms. I've always considered it the
reserve of the rich and famous.

But using the key assets that are normally used to create a picture of personal wealth I've
determined I'm worth £20,000.

That's much less than the six-figure average, as I haven't long bought my first home, don't contribute to a pension scheme or have a significant amount of savings. Clearly I've got some work to do to improve my wealth. However, it is more than I thought and I should probably get something in place to instruct people what to do with my small fortune after I'm gone.

As this survey only looked at 2,000 people you might find the average figure doesn't exactly match up with your situation either. So give it a try and find out how much you're worth exactly – you might be surprised.

Oh dear...I have a long way to go ...poor but happy....:wink:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Not much off the average largely due to mortgage, though my pension is ridiculously small. Maybe I need to have less savings and pay into a pension as seems the big differences though everything else is about 'average'

Oh and I'm 31 so not far off middle of the band I guess

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Dunno what my pension is worth* so assuming the £30k they have put down is about right, I reckon I'm worth about £350k.

*Most of my pension (25 years worth) is in a final salary scheme, the rest is in a "pot" of some sort (I'm not really sure how it works, I don't really "do" money) however the online pension calculator at work says I will get about £18k a year and £50k lump sum if I retire aged 60 which is the current plan.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Dunno what my pension is worth* so assuming the £30k they have put down is about right, I reckon I'm worth about £350k.

*Most of my pension (25 years worth) is in a final salary scheme, the rest is in a "pot" of some sort (I'm not really sure how it works, I don't really "do" money) however the online pension calculator at work says I will get about £18k a year and £50k lump sum if I retire aged 60 which is the current plan.

You may be surprised to know that the actual value of your pension at 60 (ie how much it would cost someone not in a final salary pension to buy an index linked £18,000 pa) is about £600K. Add your lump sum and it's £650K. Don't ever let anyone talk you in to transferring it away.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What [MENTION=3711]Driver8[/MENTION] says. With annuity rates as low as they are, producing 18k pa requires a very significant pot (hence virtually all final salary schemes have been closed).

Home equity is all very well, but got to have somewhere to live....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You may be surprised to know that the actual value of your pension at 60 (ie how much it would cost someone not in a final salary pension to buy an index linked £18,000 pa) is about £600K. Add your lump sum and it's £650K. Don't ever let anyone talk you in to transferring it away.

i would suggest that the calculator is assuming happypig stays at that job between now and then, and factors in some pay rise assumption. so the "pot" today isnt worth nearly as much as it will be then.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What [MENTION=3711]Driver8[/MENTION] says. With annuity rates as low as they are, producing 18k pa requires a very significant pot (hence virtually all final salary schemes have been closed).
Home equity is all very well, but got to have somewhere to live....

i would suggest that the calculator is assuming happypig stays at that job between now and then, and factors in some pay rise assumption. so the "pot" today isnt worth nearly as much as it will be then.

My brain hurt now. I'll just stay her for another 9 years then...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From what you posted I'd guess you were in a final salary scheme, but they've closed that and you're now in a 'defined contribution' scheme (ie they, and you lob in a few quid every month and when you retire that pot is used to buy an annuity, which pays out for the rest of your life). Nothing stopping you changing jobs as any new job-related pension is almost certain to be on the same basis (the amounts the company put in might vary though) - critical point as [MENTION=3711]Driver8[/MENTION] mentioned above is don't let anyone try to convince you that moving your money out of the final salary scheme is a good idea because it probably won't be - the buy-out amount is extremely unlikely to be enough to purchase an annuity that would give you the same benefits

Apologies Seagull - thread hijack :whistle:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Well done to those offering pension advice. To those who don't know what their pension is/will be worth, you really need to find out NOW - it's such a long term game, both in building it up and (hopefully) drawing it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm in 1901, so you'll understand why I have to wait until my accountant in Jersey has bought a calculator which can cope with all the zeros before answering this question. I'll be in Monaco later today, so will get the butler to post the answer when he gets it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Way below the average. My mortgage equity is about 99% of my total worth although I'm 27 and only just starting my pension this April (finally in a solid position to do so).

Factoring in my £4.67 in my savings didn't help much.......

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Me too - I have "standard" life assurance at work of 10 times my salary, plus other stuff that would only crystallise on my death. It's all a bit depressing. My wife assures me that she'd prefer me to be alive, so I'm going with that.

10x salary for Death in Service benefit is not standard! 3x or 4x is, and there are loads of people who get no DiS. Are you sure it's 10x?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here