Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT laptop advice sought please

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
My sons 11th birthday next week and we have £500 max to buy him a laptop ready for big school in September. He will use it for schoolwork, and has said he wants to do some basic film editing and store some music and pictures on it.

I know very little about what's a good spec or even a good deal so I thought I'd ask good old NSC for some advice! Have spoken to his new school who said that anything should be ok and to try PC world.

Over to you NSC and thanks in advance for your help!

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Asus UL-30a.

Great medium size, quick, powerful, and runs Win7.

I seriously rinse laptops and this one is still going strong after about 15,000 hours of use.

Get from ebay or online for a great price.

Don't get a big heavy laptop for an 11 year old, or windows 8.

omgitsjames

Nov 24, 2011
California
My sons 11th birthday next week and we have £500 max to buy him a laptop ready for big school in September. He will use it for schoolwork, and has said he wants to do some basic film editing and store some music and pictures on it.

I know very little about what's a good spec or even a good deal so I thought I'd ask good old NSC for some advice! Have spoken to his new school who said that anything should be ok and to try PC world.

Over to you NSC and thanks in advance for your help!

always get business grade laptops if your livelihood depends on it. I feel weary recommending any laptop built with a plastic chassis (most consumer laptops fall into this category)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Dell. Choose your spec.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
On the flip side do you really need to spend £500 on an 11year old? You could IMO get a suitable one for far less. My experience with kids and laptops is after they have played around and patched this and put that game on it it might start to have issues. Have a look on ebuyer who also have an Ebay store. Be hard to beat them on price and service.

Also remember to factor in that most new machines probably wont come with MS Office (full pack) which will cost $$. If he doesnt need that open office will do for free.

Oh and I would seriously avoid PC world unless your just happy to part with your cash on what the sales person wants you to buy.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Buy the latest copy of 'What Laptop'. Don't get ripped off by spotty oiks in the chain stores trying to sell you extended warranties. If anything goes wrong the sales of goods act will cover you if the equipment is at fault up to six years after purchase on expensive items.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Buy a 2nd hand MacBook for £250. Buy 2nd hand Flip video camera for £50. Open iMovie program. Job done.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... If anything goes wrong the sales of goods act will cover you if the equipment is at fault up to six years after purchase on expensive items.

the criteria is what is reasonable which takes no account of the value. you have six years to make a claim if they do not repair or replace. and in anycase it would be return to base taking some time to get fixed in most cases. having said that, warranties for much hightreet stuff isnt much better (unlike business warranties with on site repair).

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Also remember to factor in that most new machines probably wont come with MS Office (full pack) which will cost $$. If he doesnt need that open office will do for free.

There are deals for those in full time education, need to go to look up Microsoft education where software can be a third of the normal price.

If he is going to edit films and store music you will probably need a detachable hard drive for storage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here