Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Placement of the ball at corners.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Is it just me that cannot understand why modern day footballers all try and get the ball 1 or 2 inches closer when taking corners? We see it now at every game: player moves ball, crowd goes mental, linesman indicates ball should be moved back, player moves ball half an inch. Repeat the process 3 or 4 times until the corner eventually gets taken.

Do they really need the ball 1 inch closer to the goal for their cross to be effective?

Drives me mad it does.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My guess is this.

Inside the line and it is too close to the flag.

On the line and it is sat on paint which means the ball is flush to the ground.

On the turf outside the line and it is slightly elevated by the grass and far away from the post to give the take room.

It also winds the crowd up :)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I get more frustrated by our centrebacks trotting up the pitch only for a corner to be taken short then passed back to the halfway line

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Is it just me that cannot understand why modern day footballers all try and get the ball 1 or 2 inches closer when taking corners? We see it now at every game: player moves ball, crowd goes mental, linesman indicates ball should be moved back, player moves ball half an inch. Repeat the process 3 or 4 times until the corner eventually gets taken.

Do they really need the ball 1 inch closer to the goal for their cross to be effective?

Drives me mad it does.

Yep me too, but I guess they try and keep it as far away from the flag as they can. What they should have are corner dots for an exact placement.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Drives me mad it does.

What drives me more mad is the crowd's ignorant reaction to it, because generally (like with Barton last night) the player is RIGHT.

There was nothing at all wrong with where he put the ball (outside the quadrant, but overhanging the line), but the OUTRAGED crowd, and the petty lino, saw to it that he had to re-position it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't understand why it would annoy you even if it was illegally placed (which it didn't appear to be last night).

It is far more annoying that any attacking free-kicks we get end up being passed back to our keeper

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No worse than encroachment at free kicks, getting the ball as far forward as poss on the spot at penalties or stealing a few yards at throw ins, or even hoofing the ball out for a throw and then claiming it if there is an opposition player within 5 yards. All part of the modern game

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic

Drives me mad it does.

Doesn't matter where we put it , same result , wasted corner (except QPR) :)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
do people really get annoyed about this? wow.

Yes-just get on with the game for crying out loud. Adds nothing to my enjoyment of the game at all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What drives me more mad is the crowd's ignorant reaction to it, because generally (like with Barton last night) the player is RIGHT.

There was nothing at all wrong with where he put the ball (outside the quadrant, but overhanging the line), but the OUTRAGED crowd, and the petty lino, saw to it that he had to re-position it.

Very much this. I get with fouls there's a huge degree of opinion, and can understand a fluid interpretation of what is or isn't a foul dependant on whether it's for or against your team, but things like this (and march kicking the ball twice, and offsides to a degree) just make so many of our fans seem so ignorant about fooball.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I get annoyed by referees that wait for a throw in or a goal kick to be taken before they blow the whistle for the end of a half.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I get annoyed by referees that wait for a throw in or a goal kick to be taken before they blow the whistle for the end of a half.

You are being funny ? right ?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
what is the point of a corner flag?

is it deemed as foul play to remove one before you take a corner?

they are very off putting,considering your supposed to be the team with the advantage

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Laws of the Game actually state that the ball must be placed inside the circle - I.e. Not on the white line. Stupid , maybe, but that is what the Law states.

Not true. Well, not exactly. It does say inside the arc, but it doesn't say that that precludes the ball being on the white line, quite the contrary, it specifically shows a diagram indicating that the ball can be placed on the white line.

A corner kick is a method of restarting play.

A corner kick is awarded when the whole of the ball passes over the goal
line, either on the ground or in the air, having last touched a player of the
defending team, and a goal is not scored in accordance with Law 10.

A goal may be scored directly from a corner kick, but only against the opposing
team.

Procedure
• The ball must be placed inside the corner arc nearest to the point where
the ball crossed the goal line
• The corner fl agpost must not be moved
• Opponents must remain at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the corner arc until
the ball is in play
• The ball must be kicked by a player of the attacking team
• The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves
• The kicker must not play the ball again until it has touched another player

Infringements and sanctions
Corner kick taken by a player other than the goalkeeper

If, after the ball is in play, the kicker touches the ball again (except with his
hands) before it has touched another player:
• an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the
place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)

If, after the ball is in play, the kicker deliberately handles the ball before it has
touched another player:
• a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the
• a penalty kick is awarded if the infringement occurred inside the kicker’s
penalty area

Corner kick taken by the goalkeeper
If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper touches the ball again (except with
his hands) before it has touched another player:
• an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the

If, after the ball is in play, the goalkeeper deliberately handles the ball before it
has touched another player:
• a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement
occurred outside the goalkeeper’s penalty area, to be taken from the place
where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)
• an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if the infringement
occurred inside the goalkeeper’s penalty area, to be taken from the place
where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick)

In the event of any other infringement:
• the kick is retaken

Procedures – infringements
Referees are reminded that opponents must remain at least 9.15 m (10 yds)
from the corner arc until the ball is in play (the optional marks off the fi eld
of play may be used for assistance). Where necessary, the referee must warn
any player within this distance before the corner kick is taken and caution the
player if he subsequently fails to retreat to the correct distance.

If the kicker touches the ball a second time before it has touched another
player, an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team in the position
where the second touch occurred (see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

If a player, while correctly taking a corner kick, intentionally kicks the ball at an
opponent in order to play the ball again but neither in a careless nor a reckless
manner nor using excessive force, the referee must allow play to continue.

The ball must be placed inside the corner arc and is in play when it is kicked,
therefore the ball does not need to leave the corner arc to be in play.

The diagram shows some correct and incorrect positions.

corner placement.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Using last night as an example there must have been 2 and a half minutes time wasted in the first half placing the ball for corners, free kicks yet only 1 minute added time. Players are getting a breather that they shouldn't have, fans are getting less action for their buck.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's all a pantomime.

Completely agree! I think the player and crowd know that, where the ball is placed is largely irrelevant. However the crowd like it because they can get irate and the player, if not spotted can wind up the crowd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here