Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ulloa

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Amazingly there is no thread on him yet.

Of course, it isn't amazing at all - the bloke can't stop scoring. It's funny though, he is still playing absolutely terribly! It's not this first touch of a blind rapist that is worrying me (although perhaps it should), it's the lack of movement and anticipation of a pass when we win the ball back.

When is the old Leo coming back? You know, the one who scores a goal a game *AND* holds the ball up with a good first touch and works hard to find space. Because until it does, we're looking too one dimensional.

It's just as well I'm not Oscar, because I'd have brought him off at half time. Hill and Dunne had him in their pockets for 70 minutes.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What has happened to his inch-perfect diving headers too? I haven't seen one since the first home game against Derby in August.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Amazingly there is no thread on him yet.

Of course, it isn't amazing at all - the bloke can't stop scoring. It's funny though, he is still playing absolutely terribly! It's not this first touch of a blind rapist that is worrying me (although perhaps it should), it's the lack of movement and anticipation of a pass when we win the ball back.

When is the old Leo coming back? You know, the one who scores a goal a game *AND* holds the ball up with a good first touch and works hard to find space. Because until it does, we're looking too one dimensional.

It's just as well I'm not Oscar, because I'd have brought him off at half time. Hill and Dunne had him in their pockets for 70 minutes.

i was thinking the same half way through the 2nd half.......but you did mention Hill and Dunne...2v1? ...also its his second season (ok last year it was a half)...but i am sure clubs have worked him out now....despite all that he still scored

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Service has been poor but as I commented in the player ratings thread, seems as though his first touch has completely eluded him and didn't win many flick on's last night. Looked tired to me, perhaps as a result of having no other strikers in the squad. Hopefully Hoskins will be available again soon to give us a different option.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
despite all that he still scored
Indeed. Hopefully a sign of a good striker is that he still scores whilst playing badly?

Service has been poor but as I commented in the player ratings thread, seems as though his first touch has completely eluded him and didn't win many flick on's last night. Looked tired to me, perhaps as a result of having no other strikers in the squad. Hopefully Hoskins will be available again soon to give us a different option.
Good points. We desperately need Hoskins and CMS back as soon as possible. Does anyone know when this might be?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I love Ulloa. He's more or less paying for my season ticket for next season. Just back him blindly to score first goal (9/2 usually) last goal (same price) and score anytime (9/4 or thereabouts) and you are buying money at the moment.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He wasn't THAT great in his general play towards the end of last season - particularly in the Play Off matches. Not a criticism of him - just think perhaps people are looking back with rose-tinted glasses and expecting too much from him.

He is a goal-scorer who is scoring goals. That'll do for me.

Could be because his game is a very physically demanding one and means he would benefit from the occasional rest, which we haven't really been in a position to give him lately.

Also, in terms of his hold-up play, look at the sort of ball he is getting to him. Last season it was predominantly on the floor and into his feet. This season it is almost always in the air.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Could Ulloa be missing Barnes? Seems to be a very different player without somebody to play off/with.
Just hoping Hoskins could be the link we're missing. Getting Hoskins back and firing could be worth a new signing and a position in the play-offs.
Question is, will Oscar have the balls to play Ulloa, Hoskins and Buckley/Lingard together? I would say, especially the form of Ince covering and cleaning up everything in the middle.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Still doing some great defensive work when he comes back for opposition corners.
Worrying facts in my eyes, seems to come back quite a lot to midfield to look for the ball, and when we do attack seems to look for the ball far too left or right of the box. Should be in the box feeding on any scraps that seem to be eluding us at the moment!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I love Ulloa. He's more or less paying for my season ticket for next season. Just back him blindly to score first goal (9/2 usually) last goal (same price) and score anytime (9/4 or thereabouts) and you are buying money at the moment.

I back his scoring minutes on the spreads ie last night 20-23 as when he scores it's so often in the 60s or 70s and never after 10 when you would lose. Unlike others tho he never seems to notch 2 or 3 in a game, which would be big money as high numbers involved. No idea why, anyone?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Good points. We desperately need Hoskins and CMS back as soon as possible. Does anyone know when this might be?

I'd have thought Hoskins would be on the bench v Bolton but I think the silence around CMS means it's unlikely he will play much of a role this season.

I assumed this was what Lingard was brought in to do but may be needs a bit more time with the squad perhaps? Also think we are missing Crofts badly, Andrews doesn't really cut it for me playing further up .... hopefully Stevens can shine as a Crofts replacement

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
He wasn't THAT great in his general play towards the end of last season - particularly in the Play Off matches. Not a criticism of him - just think perhaps people are looking back with rose-tinted glasses and expecting too much from him.

I'd agree with that and to be honest by the time we signed him we'd been waiting so long for a goal scoring target man that we were either prepared to overlook, or never even noticed the flaws in his game.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Put into the same bracket as David and Orlandi - "played much better under Poyet"...?

Stumpy Tim

Bit harsh on Ulloa in my opinion. I thought he played quite well against the second best defence in the league, and the best he has to play against. He won a fair few flick ons and he held the ball up quite well. He certainly shouldn't have been man of the match, but I thought he played well and he escaped his markers for the goal... I don't think we can ask much more.

He was a billion times better than Michael Keene for QPR. He was toilet... if they had had Austin playing they would have scored

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I'd have thought Hoskins would be on the bench v Bolton but I think the silence around CMS means it's unlikely he will play much of a role this season.

I assumed this was what Lingard was brought in to do but may be needs a bit more time with the squad perhaps? Also think we are missing Crofts badly, Andrews doesn't really cut it for me playing further up .... hopefully Stevens can shine as a Crofts replacement

Quite agree that we are seriously missing Crofts but hopefully Stephens will get into his normal game soon and bang a few in as well as Lingard who just needs time to adapt to our style of play

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here