Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't quite understand people's reactions to Bruno. He's been utter class all calendar year now, and probably for longer than that.
I do appreciate that he makes the odd mistake (there were a few unforced errors and misplaced passes last night, for instance), but:
-- he made a number of brilliant interceptions where he got to the ball ahead of their forward; these weren't 50-50 balls, they were more like 40-60, and it wasn't just last night that he's made these
-- his understanding of the game, and how to win back the ball is outstanding. The amount of times he feigns to head the ball from a goal kick for instance, and then withdraws so the ball runs out of play, and we get the throw-in is significant. He is also brilliant at using his body to shield a moving ball.
-- his skill level for a right back would challenge most Premier League players playing in that position; his control of the ball is, once again, outstanding. Because he dares to use this skill, we have to accept that the gamble will sometimes fail, but more often than not, it succeeds, and opens up some time and space to launch an attack.
-- he gets forward, and uses the ball intelligently. Look at The Argus piece today where Ulloa indicated that Bruno had told him that he would cross low and hard in the eventuality of getting into a position on the basis that Hill and Dunne are excellent in the air.

I suspect that much of the hostility to Bruno on NSC is because he's cramping many from exercising their man-love for Calde on a more regular basis.
Plenty of people are becoming increasingly vociferous in calling for Ward to be signed up. I like Ward, but given the choice between us signing Ward and us renewing Bruno's contract, I know which one I'd go for.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He was our best player first half last night - he won everything that came his way. When the game got stretched second half he was exposed a few times to the pace that QPR had out wide, and both him and Ward were given little midfield support. Despite this he was still able to get forward, and it was his tenacity, skill and vision the led to the first goal.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
We all had him for man of the match Saturday and he played well again last night.Dont understand why he gets flak either.I know sometimes he is a bit weak defensively but going forward we would not find better.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I get a good view of Bruno for half of the game, and have to agree. I think he's class, with some great touches and often moving the ball out of tricky situations without resorting to hoofing it upfield. It's a shame that he isn't more appreciated.

Out of curiosity, where do you sit? I wonder if what people think of Bruno is related to how closely they can see what he actually does when on and around the ball?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We all had him for man of the match Saturday and he played well again last night.Dont understand why he gets flak either.I know sometimes he is a bit weak defensively but going forward we would not find better.

I don't get it either. I thought he was the best player on the pitch from either side on Saturday, and was very good last night up against some real quality.

For me, our goal came from the fact Bruno likes to play, he likes to pass it simple, he's not afraid to trust himself to keep the ball in tight spots, and he engineered the opener. Yes, he does occasionally get caught, but I'll take that in return for the stuff he creates. Another superb performance, the flak he gets is ridiculous boardering on moronic.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm in WSL (north end) and I always think he looks class in front of me. Coincidentally, this is the area of the pitch that KLL always does his magic.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I can't quite understand people's reactions to Bruno. He's been utter class all calendar year now, and probably for longer than that.
I do appreciate that he makes the odd mistake (there were a few unforced errors and misplaced passes last night, for instance), but:
-- he made a number of brilliant interceptions where he got to the ball ahead of their forward; these weren't 50-50 balls, they were more like 40-60, and it wasn't just last night that he's made these
-- his understanding of the game, and how to win back the ball is outstanding. The amount of times he feigns to head the ball from a goal kick for instance, and then withdraws so the ball runs out of play, and we get the throw-in is significant. He is also brilliant at using his body to shield a moving ball.
-- his skill level for a right back would challenge most Premier League players playing in that position; his control of the ball is, once again, outstanding. Because he dares to use this skill, we have to accept that the gamble will sometimes fail, but more often than not, it succeeds, and opens up some time and space to launch an attack.
-- he gets forward, and uses the ball intelligently. Look at The Argus piece today where Ulloa indicated that Bruno had told him that he would cross low and hard in the eventuality of getting into a position on the basis that Hill and Dunne are excellent in the air.

I suspect that much of the hostility to Bruno on NSC is because he's cramping many from exercising their man-love for Calde on a more regular basis.
Plenty of people are becoming increasingly vociferous in calling for Ward to be signed up. I like Ward, but given the choice between us signing Ward and us renewing Bruno's contract, I know which one I'd go for.

I agree with nearly all of this. Bruno, in my eyes, is an unusually thoughtful, insightful, creative and skillful player, who occasionally makes an error (sometimes a bad one). On balance, however, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives and he's an asset to have in the side.
Having said that, I'd like us to keep both Bruno and Ward

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some bloke was going MENTAL at Bruno last night, and I just couldn't understand it. He does gamble sometimes, but more often than not, it comes off.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Im going to hold my hands up and admit I was slating Bruno yesterday! He backed off , lost possession and it was a bit of a clumsy performance. I think he's great attacking but I still have doubts about his defensive abilities

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Bruno has been class for the majority of the season. My only issue with him is that once or twice a game (normally in the SE Corner funnily enough) he will miss a tackle that lets the opponent create good chance. He did so last night (in an otherwise excellent performance) and also on saturday. If he can just eliminate that occasional rush of blood that makes him over commit sometimes I'd say he was one of the best fullbacks in the division.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Only complaint from last night regarding Bruno, was when he took a dig at their winger, and got a booking he really shouldn't have had.
Apart from that, some brilliant flashes of skill, including the set up for the first goal, and always entertaining to watch, as you never know what piece of skill he may bring out next. :clap:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I get a good view of Bruno for half of the game, and have to agree. I think he's class, with some great touches and often moving the ball out of tricky situations without resorting to hoofing it upfield. It's a shame that he isn't more appreciated.

Out of curiosity, where do you sit? I wonder if what people think of Bruno is related to how closely they can see what he actually does when on and around the ball?

West Upper on south side. Like it up there. Some of the cheapest tickets in the stadium, too.
Oh, and the pies were good last night. As was the Harveys.
I really enjoyed last night.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think Bruno is class, it's just when he comes up against better wingers he does seem to have a bit of a hard time. He more than makes up for it going forward though, must have a fair few assists (as with Ward). Bruno over Calderon every time for me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree with nearly all of this. Bruno, in my eyes, is an unusually thoughtful, insightful, creative and skillful player, who occasionally makes an error (sometimes a bad one). On balance, however, the positives greatly outweigh the negatives and he's an asset to have in the side.
Having said that, I'd like us to keep both Bruno and Ward

As indicated, I like them both, and signing both for next season sounds like a good plan. That said, if by some small chance, we get promoted, my view might change. Not sure Ward is quick enough for PL. If we make it up to the PL, I'd much rather we spent big on a small number of players, rather than doing what Palace did and buying loads of players, but not really any of real quality. Getting the defence right will be key, and I think we'd need a quality, quick centre-back to play alongside Upson (sorry Gordon: you're far too slow for PL), and one full-back, and if that falls into place, I'd rather have a left-back, and rely on Bruno for one season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think Bruno is class, it's just when he comes up against better wingers he does seem to have a bit of a hard time. He more than makes up for it going forward though, must have a fair few assists (as with Ward). Bruno over Calderon every time for me.

There was a thread after the Reading game saying pretty much the same thing about Ward, after he was given a torrid time by Drenthe and, as someone with a good memory indicated, Birmingham's Burke.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Brilliant going forward, our most creative player, very weak in the tackle.......you pays yer money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here