Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We were shit, shocking performance

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Well somebody had to start a negative thread !!!

But I'm only kidding, ****ing great performance !!

qpr, Leicester, Burnley three of the top sides in the division and none of them have beaten us, ok we've to play Leicester away but you can't argue with the facts !

If we get into the play offs, we will be hard to beat, we don't lose many, we are going up, said we are going up !!

:goal::goal:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
QPR in the play-offs would be tricky as I always thought it would be.

We kippered them tactically, but they also played well, even by their standards.

My inclination is to think we might not be able to repeat our good team performance. The same applies to them. I think I'd rather play Derby over two legs though.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I think QPR were actually one of the better teams to play here this season and were unfortunate to leave with nothing! Have to say also that I would prefer derby in play offs. If we get there

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Let's be COMPLETELY honest here.

We didn't have shot on goal for the first hour. We were panicking in the final 3rd and Leo was isolated.

However was I ever even ROMTELY concerned QPR would score? No. Completely solid at the back.

In the end patience told and the first piece of REAL quality (Bruno's phenomenal assist) was the spark needed.

On another night it could have been a completely different story but I will happily take a poor performance with a win, especially against a good team.

As said above, we're hard to beat. Having that as a basis is an excellent one.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Let's be COMPLETELY honest here.

We didn't have shot on goal for the first hour. We were panicking in the final 3rd and Leo was isolated.

However was I ever even ROMTELY concerned QPR would score? No. Completely solid at the back.

In the end patience told and the first piece of REAL quality (Bruno's phenomenal assist) was the spark needed.

On another night it could have been a completely different story but I will happily take a poor performance with a win, especially against a good team.

As said above, we're hard to beat. Having that as a basis is an excellent one.
I love the way that holding a team of QPR's quality to 0-0, while obviously biding our time in anticipation of later opportunity, is now considered a "poor performance"...

Marco Gabbiadini hat trick anyone...?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I love the way that holding a team of QPR's quality to 0-0, while obviously biding our time in anticipation of later opportunity, is now considered a "poor performance"...

Marco Gabbiadini hat trick anyone...?

Would you say we played well? Honestly.

Of course people view it differently. Perhaps I've used the phrase "poor performance" too broadly when I would porobably change it to "didn't play very well". The defence, of course, performed brilliantly but our actual FOOTBALL, ie passing, controlling, moving forward was not good. I can't really see how that can be disputed. I would be stunned if anyone would say they were impressed with our football for the first 70 minutes. Organisation at the back was excellent though and that, ofcourse, is a crucial aspect as I also stated previously.

As I stated I was NEVER concerned QPR would score. We completely held them.

I was however disappointed with not having a shot on goal for an hour....and then our first shot being a long ranger down the middle from March.

And let me put this into context. I am a hugely positive follower. I will try and find the positive in ANYTHING and accept the ball has to go back at various times...but I can't pretend we played good football because we won 2-0. It would be completely naive.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's the classic case of a result papering over the cracks. I'm not sure I'd go as far as "shit", but we definitely weren't good. If that game had finished after 70 minutes it would have been another blank in front of goal, another game without a single shot on target and plenty of people on this site would have been steaming in to criticise. The fact we didn't make a change until 74 minutes, despite Rob Green being the second opposing 'keeper in four days who could have played without his hands, has to be questioned. I had completely written off the prospect of us scoring, long before we somehow did. QPR were very poor too. If Yeovil had come to The Amex and played like that I might have said they were doing okay (bearing in mind their resources), but for the richest club in the league by far to produce that performance indicates how badly Harry is doing. There was only one fair scoreline in that game and it was 0-0.

Having said that, I thought our performance against Wigan was easily the best of this season and possibly the last two or three seasons, yet we managed to lose. It just shows how unpredictable the Championship is and, as someone was saying on here yesterday, there seems to be very little correlation between how well we play and the results we get.

Completely agree.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's the classic case of a result papering over the cracks. I'm not sure I'd go as far as "shit", but we definitely weren't good. If that game had finished after 70 minutes it would have been another blank in front of goal, another game without a single shot on target and plenty of people on this site would have been steaming in to criticise. The fact we didn't make a change until 74 minutes, despite Rob Green being the second opposing 'keeper in four days who could have played without his hands, has to be questioned. I had completely written off the prospect of us scoring, long before we somehow did. QPR were very poor too. If Yeovil had come to The Amex and played like that I might have said they were doing okay (bearing in mind their resources), but for the richest club in the league by far to produce that performance indicates how badly Harry is doing. There was only one fair scoreline in that game and it was 0-0.

Having said that, I thought our performance against Wigan was easily the best of this season and possibly the last two or three seasons, yet we managed to lose. It just shows how unpredictable the Championship is and, as someone was saying on here yesterday, there seems to be very little correlation between how well we play and the results we get.

I think this match can be looked at as pretty exceptional though. Make no bones about it. We were playing against premier league opposition. This was the game where that kind of performance can be tolerated. Biding our time. Holding out. Nicking a goal.

I agree that it's still a concern with how little we create sometimes, but not last night. I'll take that and run.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
All a matter of perspective isn't it?

To the blokes behind me (who would find a reason to moan if we were three up in the Champions League Final and didn't stop last night from the first whistle to the goal) it was just rubbish, Lingaard is useless, Andrews is worse, can't see the point of Jake, Kuszscak should have held it when he saved full length down to his right and on, and on, and on.

To me, we were playing a team full of Premier League standard players, did well first half, got pinned back second half, but at 75 minutes could consider it a job well done as we weren't behind. Still level for the final push. Fresh legs at a crucial time. Great win.

Not all of the things I think about the team are positive and I groan like everyone else when a shot's weak or a pass goes astray. But I accept that players are human rather than always perfect and I don't feel the need to vocalise every single negative thought that comes into my head from start to finish.

It's so much more enjoyable that way :thumbsup:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I thought we where lucky to get 3 points, QPR pretty much dominated and they must be pissed off to lose, but how many times have we battered a team and lose or drawn? Quite alot!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's the classic case of a result papering over the cracks. I'm not sure I'd go as far as "shit", but we definitely weren't good. If that game had finished after 70 minutes it would have been another blank in front of goal, another game without a single shot on target and plenty of people on this site would have been steaming in to criticise.

Yup. Until Bruno put in that cross for Ulloa we never looked remotely like scoring.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Up until Bruno's masterstroke we looked as though we had no idea what to do with the ball in the final third, but looked solid for the most part in defence.

We should celebrate winning despite not being great for how often have we played well and lost

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yup. Until Bruno put in that cross for Ulloa we never looked remotely like scoring.

But he DID put the cross in, so it's all meaningless.

"If we hadn't scored 4 goals, we wouldn't have scored any."

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
:fishing:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That's a bit harsh. We got in some great positions but just lacked a final touch or ball. There were a couple of times Lingard was put through (and fluffed it), Andrews got a great ball on the edge with a 3 on 2 (and fluffed it), Buckley had some moments, and we did look like we could unlock them on the break. A fair amount of our attacking play didn't end in shots or saves, but (being a bit of an optimist) through the second half I always felt we could score if we just took a bit of care, and eventually we did with a fine bit of passing, a great cross and tap in.

So you might have thought we never remotely looked like scoring, I genuinely thought we did, and when it came I felt we were getting ourselves on top.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
To me, we were playing a team full of Premier League standard players, did well first half, got pinned back second half, but at 75 minutes could consider it a job well done as we weren't behind. Still level for the final push. Fresh legs at a crucial time. Great win.

:

I'd go with that. A team of Premier League standard players and yet a poor 'team'. Redknapp is making a right old mess of this season. Good.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'd agree with this in part but I'd say we looked disjointed and out of sync rather than just shite. I was stunned at just how awful we were going forward and that "give it to Buckley" seemed to be our only plan of attack. Ulloa was still isolated and the midfield had no creativity about it.

With an hour gone I felt flat, frustrated and sorry for our back five for having to cope with a decent QPR side and our own midfield and forward line for not being able to keep possession.

Up to Ulloa's goal our only effort on target was JFC's "shot" right at their 'keeper which was more like a pass-back.

2-0 more than flattered us but hopefully the result will give what is clearly a good side the one thing it has been lacking in recent games - a boost in confidence in front of goal.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think this match can be looked at as pretty exceptional though. Make no bones about it. We were playing against premier league opposition. This was the game where that kind of performance can be tolerated. Biding our time. Holding out. Nicking a goal.

I agree that it's still a concern with how little we create sometimes, but not last night. I'll take that and run.

Absolutely this..

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Taking into account the quality of the opposition and the fact we started with 4 young and still relatively inexperienced players I thought it was a pretty good performance last night, I know we didn't create much in the way of clear cut chances but that was more down to the final ball than the approach play and QPR were pretty much having the same problem as most of their efforts were from range. The good thing is we stuck at our game and Oscar made the right changes at the right times and when the chances did come we took them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here