Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst. Amex. Pie. Ever.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The cottage pie at the Amex tonight was dreadful. I was foolishly tempted by the utterly misleading photo of it and the mouth-watering description of the mashed potato allegedly contained therein, but there was only a small blob of mash cowering under the pastry, trying to stay afloat on a sea of very average savoury mince. Most disappointing.

I would say that this culinary misadventure had entirely spoiled the whole evening and turned our three points to dust and ashes in my eyes, but that would be a lie, of course. Not a good pie, though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The cottage pie at the Amex tonight was dreadful. I was foolishly tempted by the utterly misleading photo of it and the mouth-watering description of the mashed potato allegedly contained therein, but there was only a small blob of mash cowering under the pastry, trying to stay afloat on a sea of very average savoury mince. Most disappointing.

I would say that this culinary misadventure had entirely spoiled the whole evening and turned our three points to dust and ashes in my eyes, but that would be a lie, of course. Not a good pie, though.

I agree, so lets have a campaign to bring back the chilli pie, you know the type of thing, flowers to Johnny Prescott, marching outside political conferences,a council referendum, it worked last time

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Now I love the pies but the ones in Dicks had been baked with the FLAKEY MAXIMISER. No sooner had I bitten in to my oft lusted for Balti pie then I had covered the table with crumbs, and my subsequent attempts to keep the filling in could be described as contorted pierobics. But before most of the table could mock another of our number had suffered from the same problem, only in steak, and DUMPED his filling on the floor. After that there was just the Oaf left......

None of us had the guest pie though. Top with pastry or spud. Never both.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Tonight I had my last pie for the time being. Went for the chicken, but they are all hard thick pastry and minimal thin rations of filling. Time to bring sandwiches till they improve. Even tried the fish fingers a couple of weeks ago. Cooked within an inch of their life in some kind of hard crusty bread roll. Never again.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My mate got a cottage pie and it looked shite.

My steak and ale pie was first class, however. As was my pint of Harveys.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Blimey. I thought it was quite good & reminded of a West Cornish Pasty Co, pasty.....but it was my first ever pie at the Amex so nothing to compare to

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I thought it was a very nice pie, well filled, nice and meaty, not too juicy.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Only have a pie when it's a chicken balti, or the godlike chilli pie.

If not I'll get a cheeseburger and cry about the lack of mustard.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Agree - normally very happy with our pies but tonight's cottage pie specimen was poor, with very little filling

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here