Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Barca way of playing

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Time to scrap? In league one we played great passing football with Murray and Barnes upfront and it worked perfectly.

We are not scoring enough goals with this formation. We are wasting time signing Rodriguez and Lingard if we aren't going to play to their strengths, it's no good putting them out on the wing when they're more likely to be more effective partnering Ulloa.

New formation I say, but it won't happen with Oscar.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Why this obsession with formations? We need to concentrate on execution, if Buckley had his shooting boots on on saturday we would have won. I'm not having a go at Buckley, just pointing out that despite the "handcuffs" and "negative play" we still somehow managed to CREATE a couple of very good match-winning opportunities at the end of the game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are creating a number of chances just need to take more of them. Ulloa, Buckley and March all had good chances on Saturday that they missed had they scored people would be raving about beating a team like Reading 4 - 1

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Why this obsession with formations? We need to concentrate on execution, if Buckley had his shooting boots on on saturday we would have won. I'm not having a go at Buckley, just pointing out that despite the "handcuffs" and "negative play" we still somehow managed to CREATE a couple of very good match-winning opportunities at the end of the game.

We had a few really good chances on Saturday.
Just a shame they didn't go in.

Let's face it, with 11 on the pitch we were going to win, and probably score again.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Do you really think that we play like Barcelona?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
You may have a point if we weren't creating many chances each game, but we are. Against Wigan we had over 20 efforts on goal, and 5 or 6 clear cut chances we should have scored from. Formation and style is fine, work is needed to be more clinical in front of goal that's all.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just reading Finney on Football. The debate was raging then (1958) on the scrapping of the traditional English football formations. Am so glad we have moved on and embraced the latin way in this country ....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has been said many times but a game is going to come when the chances will be taken and we will thump some team, lets hope it is very soon, Tuesday evening against QPR or Saturday at Bolton

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Time to scrap? In league one we played great passing football with Murray and Barnes upfront and it worked perfectly.

We are not scoring enough goals with this formation. We are wasting time signing Rodriguez and Lingard if we aren't going to play to their strengths, it's no good putting them out on the wing when they're more likely to be more effective partnering Ulloa.

You think Rodriguez and Linegaard would suit a long ball team?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
time to scrap the Barca style? time to start it first.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Well, I don't like the kick and rush of the Withdean days.

I am glad we got rid of Barnes (honest plodder) for the craftsman type in Lingard and Rodriguez. This is the second striker role much nearer to Messi than Barnes ever was.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
If by "Barca way" you mean, "attempting to pass the ball to someone with the same colour shirt as you do", then it might be worth persisting with. Just my opinion like

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Incidently Barca have started playing a lot more direct this season. That's working out well.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Our % shots to those on target is the second lowest in the division. We're creating chances so the system isn't wrong, we're just not converting. One day soon (hopefully tomorrow), we're going to whoop someone's ass.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It has been said many times but a game is going to come when the chances will be taken and we will thump some team, lets hope it is very soon, Tuesday evening against QPR or Saturday at Bolton

Looking forward to another 7 goal extravaganza then and will even allow one to be an OG. Oh, Blackpool - those were the days!

Gus was much closer to the Barca style - I tend to view Oscar as more Germanic, a pragmatic mix of the long ball and short passing

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We need to inject pace in the front 3 by playing wingers FROM THE START and not leave 3 of them on the bench IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here