Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How tinpot are Brighton? (According to some fans' criteria)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Here we are, a club that were so shit for many years that attendances fell to embarrassing levels (started happening long before Archer), we played 2 seasons in another county, then spent over a decade playing in the worst football stadium in the country. Now, 2 and a bit seasons into our fabulous new stadium and there are people criticising other clubs for being tinpot.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Here we are, a club that were so shit for many years that attendances fell to embarrassing levels (started happening long before Archer), we played 2 seasons in another county, then spent over a decade playing in the worst football stadium in the country. Now, 2 and a bit seasons into our fabulous new stadium and there are people criticising other clubs for being tinpot.

The people doing the criticising must be JCL tinpot's then? :)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Who nose :shrug: all seems a bit petty to me. We were once seen by fans of many clubs as an aspirational club, flying in the face of adversity with the best fans in the land, now the keyboard warriors seem intent on taking us down a different path.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Best to let others form their own judgement. No-one thinks their own team is tinpot. Other clubs supporters will let us know.

I am sure in some people's eyes we are tinpot - but who cares ?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Who nose :shrug: all seems a bit petty to me. We were once seen by fans of many clubs as an aspirational club, flying in the face of adversity with the best fans in the land, now the keyboard warriors seem intent on taking us down a different path.

I think it's a sense of entitlement - because we've got a lovely stadium, flirting with the play-offs and have a good squad it means we are the dogs bollocks and everyone else is tinpot. It's that sense of entitlement that means if Oscar hasn't made us win every game 5-0, Burke hasn't signed Messi or Barber made us $100m then we're shit and they need to be sacked.

People have short memories and unrealistic expectations.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Clackers and flags for our biggest game in decades would suggest that we are still Tinpot wouldn't it?? I could understand the flags it for the 1st game at the Amex but not for a playoff semi final.

Clapping the opposition attendance is pretty tinpot too, we seem to be reigning that in fortunately, I loved the booing on Saturday when the Reading attendance was announced :lolol:

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Clackers and flags for our biggest game in decades would suggest that we are still Tinpot wouldn't it?? I could understand the flags it for the 1st game at the Amex but not for a playoff semi final.

Clapping the opposition attendance is pretty tinpot too, we seem to be reigning that in fortunately, I loved the booing on Saturday when the Reading attendance was announced :lolol:

Not to mention Spanish Day, Fright Night etc - you don't see truly big clubs doing that in an attempt to get people interested. With the exception of Newcastle obviously but then they are something of a joke as it is thanks to Mike Ashley

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
All I know is that flags, clackers, tracksuit tops on players, Mexican waves, names on replica shirts, fun themes for the kids and being a family club will always be deemed tinpot by those who think going to watch football makes them look 'ard.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Not to mention Spanish Day, Fright Night etc - you don't see truly big clubs doing that in an attempt to get people interested.

That's because they're already big clubs and have the support (both in and out of the stadium) to back it up. We don't have that yet, we're still a relatively small team. Plus, as Oscar has said above, we're marketing ourselves as a 'family' club and those sorts of things appeal to the kids and families, where drinking 15 pints and swearing may not be their idea of a great afternoon out.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Did anyone spot those complimentary orange plastic rattles at Hull City yesterday? :wink: if you can't clack 'em, join 'em.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't remember all this moaning about clackers at our last game at Withdean, or the semi finals against Swindon.

:shrug:

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Everyone seems to be tinpot these days. It's boring and unoriginal. I personally think Spanish Day and all the other gash 'fun' events the club try to put on are 'tinpot'. I'm a school teacher and reading these forums sometimes feels like the dross I have to listen to from my year 8 girls bitching to each other about their non present friends.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If you are talking about Reading - they were tinpot when we were at Withdean. In fact they were tinpot when we were at the Priestfield.

It wasn't aimed at a specific team, though i would tend to agree with you about Reading :thumbsup:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I don't remember all this moaning about clackers at our last game at Withdean, or the semi finals against Swindon.

:shrug:

We should ban clackers completely as we have never won when we have had them. Even thought we went to the final, we lost the home leg against Swindon and were pretty poor for the whole game (apart from the pens). We are doomed with clackers.:ohmy:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
As a Palace fan, we are on these boards often called "tinpot"...I may be a bit thick but what does it really mean??

And yes the OP is right just about every club that is mentioned on here gets called tinpot at one time or another!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here