Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Correlation between PERFORMANCE and RESULT

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone else agree that this has been the most disjointed season in ages in terms of how well we play corresponding to the result?

Some of our best performances have ended up as losses and draws, while we've stunk out the place and gotten 3 points a few times. Our performances seem to have little to no bearing on the results this season.

Why is this?

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
A good point with several cases of this happening. Although Leicester game was the obvious one where we did play very well and deserved our convincing victory.

Some say winning games when not playing well is a sign of a good team.... not entirly sure that is the case with us. We are just hard to beat, so logic dictates if you are hard to beat then you will win the odd game 1-0.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A good thread, and a good first comment on it. I don't think we've hit the heights this season, yet we're very difficult to break down. Injuries and circumstances haven't helped -- in terms of circumstances, Greer's red is a prime example. I think the game in which the disjuncture between our performance and the result was most apparent in the Wigan game, where we played as well as we have done all season. I have been saying for a while, the Wigan we're due to march up the table, and they showed yesterday what they've got, as they did against us when they were very well organised defensively, had two chances and got two goals.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
im astounded we are 8th and in with a shout as I think we have been poor more often than not. A solid back 5 has helped with the results.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does anyone else agree that this has been the most disjointed season in ages in terms of how well we play corresponding to the result?

Some of our best performances have ended up as losses and draws, while we've stunk out the place and gotten 3 points a few times. Our performances seem to have little to no bearing on the results this season.

Why is this?

The obvious answer is our defence. We are generally rock solid. Regardless of how well we are playing, we are a nightmare to score against. We've conceded just 7 league goals in 10 league matches in 2014. Our big problem is we've only scored 7 in return!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
The obvious answer is our defence. We are generally rock solid. Regardless of how well we are playing, we are a nightmare to score against. We've conceded just 7 league goals in 10 league matches in 2014. Our big problem is we've only scored 7 in return!

Mmm, I would quantify defence with maybe - approach? This attacking football that we were promised hasn't really materialised, and I think our performances have been much more defensive-minded than saying the back 5 or our defence has been outstanding.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
To some extent this is quite subjective, but last season I tried to calculate how many points we would have got had our performances matched results - in other words 'if the right team had won'. These are the matches where I don't think performances matched the outcome and the number of points gained and lost:

Hull (a) lost - result should have been: draw (-1 dropped)
Watford (a) won - should have been: draw (+2 gained)
Birmingham (h) lost - won (-3)
Middlesbrough (h) lost - won (-3)
Blackpool (a) draw - lost (+1)
Leeds (h) draw - won (-2)
Wolves (a) draw - won (-2)
Bolton (h) draw - won (-2)
Forest (h) draw - won (-2)
Birmingham (a) draw - won (-2)
Blackburn (a) draw - lost (+1)
Hull (h) won – draw (+2)
Blackburn (h) draw – won (-2)
Cardiff (a) won – lost (+3)
Bristol C (a) draw – lost (+1)
Bolton (a) lost – won (-3)
Barnsley (a) lost – draw (-1)
Charlton (h) draw – won (-2)

TOTAL: +10-25 = -15

That would have put us on 90 points and sent us up as Champions, 3 points clear of Cardiff.

Would be interesting to do the same this season. I can't help thinking, though, it would be a lot more even. We are more or less where we should be in the table.

steve14

Jan 17, 2014
The trouble is we have been in a sense more attacking. Teams come to us and are happy for us to have the ball and they set up the 2 banks of 4 and we just find it hard to create chances add to that we break out of defence far to slowly. Then the pattern sets in we tire and they tend to score with a quick break on us.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
im astounded we are 8th and in with a shout as I think we have been poor more often than not. A solid back 5 has helped with the results.

Don't you mean a solid back 10?!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here