Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving past a horse when it's on the pavement ?

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Do you slow down. I don't, even gave it a toot of the horn as I recognised the rider. I used to go to School with her.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Do you slow down. I don't, even gave it a toot of the horn as I recognised the rider. I used to go to School with her.

Here we go.

image.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Always slow down and never use a horn unless you want to see a recreation of the Grand National up the road.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Too quick. You should have left more time after the last one. Otherwise the 'joke' is diluted. A bit like Ernest.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Always slow down and never use a horn unless you want to see a recreation of the Grand National up the road.

I entirely agree with this but often wonder why orsey folk take orses on the roads.
Fields and bridle paths are far more suitable.

I am also fed up with finding orse shite all across the road outside my house.
Orsey folk should clean up after their orses, just like dog owners.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I entirely agree with this but often wonder why orsey folk take orses on the roads.

Scoop it up and put in the flower borders. If you've got a garden.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

I would also add how often do you see a rider struggling to handle a horse on a main or busy road ?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Should horses be on pavements?

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Scoop it up and put in the flower borders. If you've got a garden.

I'd be more than happy for the orsey folk to scoop up the clods and place them carefully in my borders.
But I aint cleaning up the sodding streets for them.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Should horses be on pavements?

No

They should be ridden on the road but many inexperienced riders feel safer riding on the pavement but this can lead to the type of behaviour described in the OP and should the horse be spooked there is generally far less room on a pavement to regain control and greater danger of injury to both horse and rider.

As for why are they ridden on roads at all and not on bridalways the answer is simple, there is rarely a method of getting from point A to Point B that doesn't require at least part of the journey to be via the public highway.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
There are a lot horse riders in the country lanes around here....most people pass slow and wide...but horsse riders should use the rules as well....not often you see it... but never ride two abreast...

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There are a lot horse riders in the country lanes around here....most people pass slow and wide...but horsse riders should use the rules as well....not often you see it... but never ride two abreast...

The Highway Code states - "Never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

Good advice but in some circumstances where you have either an inexperienced rider or horse it is safer to ride two abreast - both for the riders and other road users.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
No

They should be ridden on the road but many inexperienced riders feel safer riding on the pavement but this can lead to the type of behaviour described in the OP and should the horse be spooked there is generally far less room on a pavement to regain control and greater danger of injury to both horse and rider.

As for why are they ridden on roads at all and not on bridalways the answer is simple, there is rarely a method of getting from point A to Point B that doesn't require at least part of the journey to be via the public highway.

Not until they pay there bloody road tax!

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Sorry i was just trying to be funny! :dunce: Guess i won't be giving up the day job just yet.:down:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here