Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

28 Buses

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
In the transport article from the programme this Saturday the club is claiming they hire 28 buses on a match day. I normally use Mithras House and the stewards there have said in the past there are 4 on that route. I can't believe that the racecourse use more than Mithras which would leave 20 buses for Mill Road - clearly not true.

Do the club hire buses for other routes other than the park and rides? Does anyone have an idea of the distribution? I dont think the 28 figure quoted in the programme can be correct.

The article also claimed 3000 fans use the park and ride but with 90 on the double deckers and 120 on the bendies - 28 buses would nearly clear this in one run. This never happens in my experience. Are the figures made up?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Race Hill had 7 or 8 yesterday - more than usual which was just as well as it was busier than usual. Mill Road has about 15 I think, more than others as they can only use single deckers for that one because of the low bridge. Another 8 or so for Mithras House would take it to roughly 30.

28 isnt THAT wrong, especially as Race Hill has had a few less buses in the last few matches.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I thought I was entering a discuss on the Number 28 bus....I'm not sure which is worse.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Does 28 include the busses which people get from Mid Sussex etc (think it's called seagulls travel)

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In the transport article from the programme this Saturday the club is claiming they hire 28 buses on a match day. I normally use Mithras House and the stewards there have said in the past there are 4 on that route. I can't believe that the racecourse use more than Mithras which would leave 20 buses for Mill Road - clearly not true.

Do the club hire buses for other routes other than the park and rides? Does anyone have an idea of the distribution? I dont think the 28 figure quoted in the programme can be correct.

The article also claimed 3000 fans use the park and ride but with 90 on the double deckers and 120 on the bendies - 28 buses would nearly clear this in one run. This never happens in my experience. Are the figures made up?

Race Hill had 7 or 8 yesterday - more than usual which was just as well as it was busier than usual. Mill Road has about 15 I think, more than others as they can only use single deckers for that one because of the low bridge. Another 8 or so for Mithras House would take it to roughly 30.

28 isnt THAT wrong, especially as Race Hill has had a few less buses in the last few matches.

Have to say the departure v Reading was quite fast. Clapped the team off and caught the first bus on its second run. But it's true the figures do not add up. I use Mithrus House so will use that as an example. Lets say 8 buses and each carry 90/95 people. Now how many people use these buses, hard to say but each bus does AT LEAST 2 runs and some do 3 so again a guess at 1500. Now though we are saying Mithrus holds 50% of the P&R fans but gets only 8 buses. Next question is where do they store these buses during the game? I've yet to see 8 buses waiting at the Amex to return to Mithrus let alone 28 in total.
And to finish, this is how to cure the holdups getting to and from the ground. On the up slope from the A27 from Brighton and Lewes Road to the flyover simply make the LEFT hand lane buses only with a copper at the top to make sure it works. This would ensure a faster turnaround of the buses.

Two minibuses are used to provide the accessible shuttle service between Sussex University Car Park 5 and the stadium. I wonder if these are these included in the total.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

We've given up on the racecourse one now as it just takes too long to get there. A few weeks back, I got up there at 1.45 and only just made kick-off! We use it to get back though as we're not normally in a rush and have couple of pints in the East lower so we can keep an eye on the queues.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Perhaps you could email Paul Barber, I'm certain he'd reply clarifying the situation.

Why on God's earth would anyone MAKE UP a number like that? Weird.

Quite.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
We've given up on the racecourse one now as it just takes too long to get there. A few weeks back, I got up there at 1.45 and only just made kick-off! We use it to get back though as we're not normally in a rush and have couple of pints in the East lower so we can keep an eye on the queues.

Its decent when you get there as you never have to wait long to get on a bus and its decent after the match, but the traffic the buses get stuck in on Falmer Road is starting to become a huge joke and is getting busier and busier. The traffic lights at the Amex really do need to be manually controlled to let the traffic flow for longer as it isnt just those going to the Amex getting caught up - it is simply anyone who wants to get onto the A27.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Its decent when you get there as you never have to wait long to get on a bus and its decent after the match, but the traffic the buses get stuck in on Falmer Road is starting to become a huge joke and is getting busier and busier. The traffic lights at the Amex really do need to be manually controlled to let the traffic flow for longer as it isnt just those going to the Amex getting caught up - it is simply anyone who wants to get onto the A27.

The problem with that is if you allow more time for traffic coming down from Woodingdean, it means longer queues for traffic coming up the slip roads from the A27

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The problem with that is if you allow more time for traffic coming down from Woodingdean, it means longer queues for traffic coming up the slip roads from the A27

It need to be balanced better then. Doesnt help of course that there is only 1 entrance to Villiage Way, could do with an extra one a bit further up Falmer Road for a short distance - though that would never happen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here