Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia - Is he what we hoped he would be?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Right it's a epic thread so if you have an attention span of a 2 year old, and what you post a one word reply calling me a ****, at least be original, I look forward to them. Anyone what to have a serious debate and prove me wrong, then I look forward to it! I could have posted it after the Watford game that saw us lose three on the bounce, but then I would have got ,tut only posting 'cause we lost, so whilst I know we haven't lost for a couple of games, try and look below the surface people!!!

Week after week we see negative shit from Brighton. I post this after 4 points from 6 games, although worth noting in those games we mustered two whole shots on target (one of which was a penalty).

Firstly I quite like Oscar. I meet him a couple of times, and he seems a humble pleasant sort of bloke. I ****ing hated Gus Poyet with a passion and wanted him out long before most others, but have to admit I'd rather him in charge than this gormless pair we have at the moment. Oscar Garica has to be the most under achiving manager I can recall at the Albion in 40 years supporting them. Absolutely ****ing clueless the pair off them.

Before anyone picks me up on that, I do not recall a manager getting so little out of a group of players. Sure we've had worst managers in terms of league position and results and performances in the past, but they had shit squads to work with. Garica has a good squad, a very good squad for this division, yet seems to bring the worst out in them week after week.

Ullah is painfully uninterested in playing as a lone target man, and who can blame him, and looking at Kuszazks body language and it tells you he aint sticking around next season for this shit.

Reading are a team on the slide, and we do not manage ONE SHOT on target at home. Did their keeper actually use his hands other to the place the ball for a goal kick?

Its not a one off, or a bad patch we are going through. It's week after week after week. It is so painful to watch.

And he has the gumption to comment on the radio and think we may have won it!!! What world does he live in!!

Oscar manage the ****ing team.. PLEASE... Pick a system that works for our players. Your system does not work. One goal a game is not good enough.

Why have THREE WINGERS on the bench???? What was that all about? Three wingers on the bench, but none from the start?? Someone explain that to me!

Watch Garica against QPR Tuesday. I sit right behind him and not once did he interact with the team. Hardly ever does. Plenty to say to his little "yes man" next to him, but all he does is pace up and down the whole game , hands in pockets without any interaction with the team. He just stands and watches the game hunched with his hands in his pockets. Not exactly motivating for the side is it!! I noticed Kuszczak hold him arms aloft after Greer got sent off, as though to say, "what the **** we doing". The players get no, or very little direction from the bench during a game.

Results and league position is not what is going to drive fans away from the Amex. Its the lack of entertainment, boring football and Oscars style of play that will cause much more damage to attendances and season ticket renewals than league position. I am trying to convince my group of 5 to renew their season tickets next year. Didn't have much chance after watching that type of performance again! Yet, remarkablely we find ourselves 2 points outside the play offs and still in touch, yet this should no gloss over the fact we should be up there and running away with Burnley at the moment.

But once again yesterday, the crowd turned on the referee who despite having a piss poor game, got the Gordon Greer 2nd booking spot on. But lets all blame him, instead of looking at the main cause of the problem.... which is Oscar Garica and his brand of negative football.

I honestly believe we have a squad that is good enough. The only loss to that group of players over last season IMO is Bridcutt. Wayne Bridge was struggling at the end of last season, and with hindsight Ward is the much better option of the two.

All this talk of a striker crisis is rubbish. We only play with one Ulloa, and check your programmes people, when he was out injured, we seemed to have our most entertaining period and best in results terms as well. Is that because Barnes was better than Leo....... I think not. So why when Leos playing do we struggle to score goals. I agree with most on here who will say he's one of the best strikers we've ever had, certainly in recent times, so why do we struggle to score when he plays. Answer - tactics, style of play. It is not suited to him, just as it isn't suited to the squad, and that is the moan. CMS and Hoskins would have made the same different as Leroy Lita, none, because Oscar will sit them on the bench.

All I want is a Brighton manager to drop this formation and style, and look at his squad and pick the best side, and pick a formation that best suit those players. What I do not want to a manager who picks the best players to suit a formation, when that formation is too much for those players to perform, which I think our current one is. That is not having a pop at the squad, because as I said before I believe this is one of the strongest squads in the division, but they nor for that matter, sides outside the top 6 in the premiership are good enough to play Oscar's "Barcelona way" and scoring one goal a game, and with not many more shots on target a game, I believe goes some way to proving that. If the day ever comes that our squad is best suited to the current style, then I look forward to seeing it. But that day is a long long way away I'm afraid.

Some may say they are enjoying the football at the moment. Fair play if you do. Personally though I'd rather see us win games and be chasing an automatic promotion place, then scrap for the final play off spot, which I believe we will fall well short off in the end. Rather than play pretty tippy tappy football around the halfway line (which at times I fully admit is stunning), and register one or two attempts on target during 90 minutes, I'd rather see us attack the other goal more! If the Football League ever change the league tables, so that the points column or even the goal different column is changed for a possession column, I might change my view, but for now I think we are one of the most underachieving sides in the division, and certainly one of the most underachieving Albion squads I can recall

Here's looking forward to our ONE goal against QPR on Tuesday (thats if we manage a shot on target). Let's hope they don't score any and we may be okay!! If not we can always blame the ref and Harry Redknapp!

Rant over! Look foward to ignoring the usual idiots who are bound to come along, but do look forward to a decent debate with someone who completely disagrees with that.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Don't disagree with any of that. Watching us this season is tedious. And that's when we play ok!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Seems to sum it up pretty well. The honeymoon period is over for Garcia. I think it's fair to say after the events of last summer, things were never going to be straight forward and it was going to take time. In a funny way, if we were mid table but playing more attractive football, I'd be more optimistic. But I think we are in a false position tbh, the football is boring and negative and we were sold that Garcia was more direct attack minded......well I've seen very little evidence of that. My biggest fear is this squad is going to be ripped to shreds in the summer, I can see at least half a dozen 1st team players moving on and who's going to rebulid a promotion challenging team.....Burke, Garcia, Jones?????? or whoever signs the players.....People seem to think Rodney must have been a Garcia signing, if so that doesn't inspire confidence and Burke want's to do everything either on the cheap or loan's, that 9 times out of ten aren't committed and a waste of time....We could seriously struggle next season....I so hope I am wrong.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd be more interested to find out what the players think of him. I don't think we know him at all.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I wonder if the sentiments in the OP would be the same if we had spanked Reading by 3 or so goals.

theboybilly

Yes he's what I hoped for. A lot of the stuff we play is indeed tedious - the constant passing along the back four for example. But when Albion are on form their passing is wonderful to watch, it's just that it's not that often and also occurs when we've left it too late as in the Wigan game. If we could produce the performance of the last half-hour in that match we'd be shoo-ins for the play-offs. I've not seen another side that can outpass the Albion this season. Defensively we are brilliant too. I'm hopeful that when Oscar gets the final pieces to his jigsaw in we'll be fine. Maybe we won't go up this season but I'm confident about the future.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
I wonder if the sentiments in the OP would be the same if we had spanked Reading by 3 or so goals.

Stock answer.
To be honest that was never going to happen yesterday with the way Mr attacking football obsessed set us up was it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems to sum it up pretty well. The honeymoon period is over for Garcia. I think it's fair to say after the events of last summer, things were never going to be straight forward and it was going to take time. In a funny way, if we were mid table but playing more attractive football, I'd be more optimistic. But I think we are in a false position tbh, the football is boring and negative and we were sold that Garcia was more direct attack minded......well I've seen very little evidence of that. My biggest fear is this squad is going to be ripped to shreds in the summer, I can see at least half a dozen 1st team players moving on and who's going to rebulid a promotion challenging team.....Burke, Garcia, Jones?????? or whoever signs the players.....People seem to think Rodney must have been a Garcia signing, if so that doesn't inspire confidence and Burke want's to do everything either on the cheap or loan's, that 9 times out of ten aren't committed and a waste of time....We could seriously struggle next season....I so hope I am wrong.
:wave:
Hello Kev, I guess you were too busy to post anything last weekend, after the 1-0 win.

Fingers crossed you'll be 'too busy' to post on Wednesday.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
where is this attacking football he said he likes to play where is it and we havent seen it yet and we make it so easy for other teams and we are so predictable to play against

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

THREE GOALS!!!!!!.....pmsl, got to get three shots on target first.We have only scored three goals, in three league games this season. It's quite pathetic really, seeing as we are 33 games into a season.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Right it's a epic thread so if you have an attention span of a 2 year old, and what you post a one word reply calling me a ****, at least be original, I look forward to them. Anyone what to have a serious debate and prove me wrong, then I look forward to it! I could have posted it after the Watford game that saw us lose three on the bounce, but then I would have got ,tut only posting 'cause we lost, so whilst I know we haven't lost for a couple of games, try and look below the surface people!!!

Week after week we see negative shit from Brighton. I post this after 4 points from 6 games, although worth noting in those games we mustered two whole shots on target (one of which was a penalty).

Firstly I quite like Oscar. I meet him a couple of times, and he seems a humble pleasant sort of bloke. I ****ing hated Gus Poyet with a passion and wanted him out long before most others, but have to admit I'd rather him in charge than this gormless pair we have at the moment. Oscar Garica has to be the most under achiving manager I can recall at the Albion in 40 years supporting them. Absolutely ****ing clueless the pair off them.

Before anyone picks me up on that, I do not recall a manager getting so little out of a group of players. Sure we've had worst managers in terms of league position and results and performances in the past, but they had shit squads to work with. Garica has a good squad, a very good squad for this division, yet seems to bring the worst out in them week after week.

Ullah is painfully uninterested in playing as a lone target man, and who can blame him, and looking at Kuszazks body language and it tells you he aint sticking around next season for this shit.

Reading are a team on the slide, and we do not manage ONE SHOT on target at home. Did their keeper actually use his hands other to the place the ball for a goal kick?

Its not a one off, or a bad patch we are going through. It's week after week after week. It is so painful to watch.

And he has the gumption to comment on the radio and think we may have won it!!! What world does he live in!!

Oscar manage the ****ing team.. PLEASE... Pick a system that works for our players. Your system does not work. One goal a game is not good enough.

Why have THREE WINGERS on the bench???? What was that all about? Three wingers on the bench, but none from the start?? Someone explain that to me!

Watch Garica against QPR Tuesday. I sit right behind him and not once did he interact with the team. Hardly ever does. Plenty to say to his little "yes man" next to him, but all he does is pace up and down the whole game , hands in pockets without any interaction with the team. He just stands and watches the game hunched with his hands in his pockets. Not exactly motivating for the side is it!! I noticed Kuszczak hold him arms aloft after Greer got sent off, as though to say, "what the **** we doing". The players get no, or very little direction from the bench during a game.

Results and league position is not what is going to drive fans away from the Amex. Its the lack of entertainment, boring football and Oscars style of play that will cause much more damage to attendances and season ticket renewals than league position. I am trying to convince my group of 5 to renew their season tickets next year. Didn't have much chance after watching that type of performance again! Yet, remarkablely we find ourselves 2 points outside the play offs and still in touch, yet this should no gloss over the fact we should be up there and running away with Burnley at the moment.

But once again yesterday, the crowd turned on the referee who despite having a piss poor game, got the Gordon Greer 2nd booking spot on. But lets all blame him, instead of looking at the main cause of the problem.... which is Oscar Garica and his brand of negative football.

I honestly believe we have a squad that is good enough. The only loss to that group of players over last season IMO is Bridcutt. Wayne Bridge was struggling at the end of last season, and with hindsight Ward is the much better option of the two.

All this talk of a striker crisis is rubbish. We only play with one Ulloa, and check your programmes people, when he was out injured, we seemed to have our most entertaining period and best in results terms as well. Is that because Barnes was better than Leo....... I think not. So why when Leos playing do we struggle to score goals. I agree with most on here who will say he's one of the best strikers we've ever had, certainly in recent times, so why do we struggle to score when he plays. Answer - tactics, style of play. It is not suited to him, just as it isn't suited to the squad, and that is the moan. CMS and Hoskins would have made the same different as Leroy Lita, none, because Oscar will sit them on the bench.

All I want is a Brighton manager to drop this formation and style, and look at his squad and pick the best side, and pick a formation that best suit those players. What I do not want to a manager who picks the best players to suit a formation, when that formation is too much for those players to perform, which I think our current one is. That is not having a pop at the squad, because as I said before I believe this is one of the strongest squads in the division, but they nor for that matter, sides outside the top 6 in the premiership are good enough to play Oscar's "Barcelona way" and scoring one goal a game, and with not many more shots on target a game, I believe goes some way to proving that. If the day ever comes that our squad is best suited to the current style, then I look forward to seeing it. But that day is a long long way away I'm afraid.

Some may say they are enjoying the football at the moment. Fair play if you do. Personally though I'd rather see us win games and be chasing an automatic promotion place, then scrap for the final play off spot, which I believe we will fall well short off in the end. Rather than play pretty tippy tappy football around the halfway line (which at times I fully admit is stunning), and register one or two attempts on target during 90 minutes, I'd rather see us attack the other goal more! If the Football League ever change the league tables, so that the points column or even the goal different column is changed for a possession column, I might change my view, but for now I think we are one of the most underachieving sides in the division, and certainly one of the most underachieving Albion squads I can recall

Here's looking forward to our ONE goal against QPR on Tuesday (thats if we manage a shot on target). Let's hope they don't score any and we may be okay!! If not we can always blame the ref and Harry Redknapp!

Rant over! Look foward to ignoring the usual idiots who are bound to come along, but do look forward to a decent debate with someone who completely disagrees with that.

can't say I disagree with any of that
I cannot watch any of the matches and can only take what those who go to matches and what I can glean from "player" and the match commentary, it does seem like we have gone from a guy who has passion in abundance to one who has not.
where is all the shoot on site and attacking football we were promised if you don't cross the ball and have forwards who can score you are not going to win games, I thought that was the idea you put the ball in the oppositions net more times than they in yours.
come on Oscar break out of that careful shell
I predict a massive clear out this Summer.
my other half who does know something about football said it while watching the Hull game up there
BRIGHTON ARE A VERY ORDINARY SIDE
ITS NOT TO LATE TO HAVE A GO AT THE TOP SIX
this season reminds me of the Wilkins season where we so close but never seemed to make it

please prove me wrong

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
:wave:
Hello Kev, I guess you were too busy to post anything last weekend, after the 1-0 win.

Fingers crossed you'll be 'too busy' to post on Wednesday.

That would be the 1-0 win, with a weak pen, against the worst defence in the league and we were holding on for dear life in the last half hour...Yeah really great performance. But a win is a win I suppose and I will take that Tues night.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I can see where the frustration is coming from but genuinely think he is going to be good for the club.

Maybe this year we will just miss out on the playoffs but we are still well in the race. If we make it and win the final with a 1-0 and boring performance then I doubt many will complain.

This was always going to be a strange season, in the summer I think we will see a lot of change and some new players come in. Whether they be Oscars or from the scouting network I think we will get some good players in.

FFP has been a bit of a bugger as well, in the summer we will see whether it is really going to be managed by the FA. Even of it falls on it's arse I don't see us splashing the cash but may bring in a couple of players we otherwise wouldn't.

As for the disinterested players, none of us really know what has happened behind closed doors with the Gus situation and what may or may not have happened with him and the players. They may have been promised things by him that were never going to be delivered and this is then impacting their performances.

No matter what happens I think Oscar is a good manager and will do us well for the next 3-4 seasons

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Nowhere in that article do you mention our chronic injury crisis this season which is as bad as I have ever known. CMS, Hoskins, Crofts, Bridcutt and Orlandi just for starters. The reason we have 3 wingers on the bench is because none of them can last a whole game; March is coming back from injury, Lua Lua can't complete a 90, Buckley can barely complete 45. Ince played yesterday with an injury, Stephens, Orlandi (again), Andrews, Ulloa, Bruno, Ward - all playing or not playing to a greater or lesser degree with injuries. I would argue that OG has worked MIRACLES to get us where we are. If you haven't got the (fit) players to be exciting then make your team hard to beat and then hopefully if and when we have a fully or nearly fully fit squad we can give it a go. There is no point playing an exciting formation if you haven't got the fit players who can do it and, for me, it shows the sign of an EXCELLENT manager that he has thought this situation through and is potentially curbing his natural attacking instinct in order to get us enough points to keep us in contention.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
That would be the 1-0 win, with a weak pen, against the worst defence in the league and we were holding on for dear life in the last half hour...Yeah really great performance. But a win is a win I suppose and I will take that Tues night.

That will be the same Millwall who beat high flying Derby away yesterday then?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair, when he joined, we didn't know Oscar from Adam. The main lure was patently his Barca connections. Oh, and his Israeli premiership credentials, irrespective of what they were actually worth. Still glad we took a punt on a foreign manager who talked an attacking game, rather than take the rubbish option of appointing a Big Sam or Colin Wanker or 'arry or Pardew or Steve Bruce or Dave Jones or Mark Hughes or any of the other life members of the English Manager Serial Losers Club. Oscar might transpire not to be the real deal, but fair play to the club for not pursuing the safe insipid option.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here