Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you be offside if you collect the ball in your own half?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There's some dispute amongst the people I discussed this with after the game. In the first half, Lingard (I think) was the last man and just in the Reading half as the ball was played but collected it well inside the Brighton half but was given offside. Is this correct? Some people said yes, others said no. I went with 'no'.

(Won't mention some of the other offside decisions given by the lino on the West Stand line that were clearly wrong - no debates there.)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Offside decisions relate to when the ball is played to a player. So whether Lingard collects the ball in his or their half is immaterial.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Yes.

Buzzer stated that Lingard was in the Reading half when the ball was played. This was when he was offside. The fact that he was in his own half when he collected the ball is immaterial as he was offside when the ball was played.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes/No and the BBC confirms my thoughts...

OFFSIDE ESSENTIALS

Here are a few more things to remember.

You can't be offside if:

You receive the ball directly from a goal kick, a throw-in or a corner
You are in your own half of the pitch
You are level with the second last or last two opponents
You are level with or behind the ball
You are not actively involved in play, as explained above
For any offside offence, the referee awards an indirect free-kick to the opposing team, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred.

However, in this instance, Lingard was offside for being offside as he was offside.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Yes.

Buzzer stated that Lingard was in the Reading half when the ball was played. This was when he was offside. The fact that he was in his own half when he collected the ball is immaterial as he was offside when the ball was played.

What he said

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Yes 100%. I wasn't at the game , but I know the situation you are talking about.

If, when the ball is kicked a player is in an offside position, and regardless of where he receives the ball from the pass, i.e in your own half, he is offiside.

Otherwise you could have players standing well offside, waiting for the ball to be kicked and then running and getting the ball in their own half.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Yes.

But was he actively involved? He was obviously moving back from an offside position which is ok.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
But was he actively involved? He was obviously moving back from an offside position which is ok.

He was actively involved because he was able to receive the ball from the pass.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It doesnt matter where you collect the ball it is where the player is standing when the ball is PLAYED!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Offside decisions relate to when the ball is played to a player. So whether Lingard collects the ball in his or their half is immaterial.

But surely he only becomes active when he actually receives the ball.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
But surely he only becomes active when he actually receives the ball.

If the ball is played to a player who is standing in an offside position, who then collects the ball in an onside position, he's still offside. Can't believe this is even being debated.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If the ball is played to a player who is standing in an offside position, who then collects the ball in an onside position, he's still offside. Can't believe this is even being debated.

But he is not offside I he receives it in his own half is he ? I thought that was what Buzzer meant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here