Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Story of The Jam

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Just found this on youtube, never seen it before. Probably old news but what a ****ing band!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL9J98zpgUI&list=RDUL9J98zpgUI#t=2

Sorry I know they get plenty of space on NSC but lets have one more.

Any good videos etc?

One thing about living in Australia is that no-one understands how important bands like The Jam and The Stone Roses are.

Last edited:

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill

Simply the best mate. Was at Brighton in '82 for the last gig. Lyrically sublime, they always played with immense passion and energy.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
One of my all time favourite bands. Still listen to them today. Never tire of listening to them.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So who grew a Weller middle parting in tribute to their hero?

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
a9y9enyr.jpg
My bedroom wall in 1982 (I know the year because the b&w poster on the left is from a gig I went to in Belgium. One of the first times they played 'The Great Depression'and the first time I got drunk. Although the two aren't related).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I used to print/paint my own t shirts back in these days, also painted band logos onto denim/leather jackets, that sort of thing. One friend of mine, a mod, Lambretta, the lot, had a classic parka (obviously), I painted the threes faces and the treble clef from the Dig the New Breed album cover on it, have to say, it looked superb. Haven't seen him for a while now, I do know he has been in the Met now since 1986.

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
Absolutely fantastic band.
Those swetty nights at The Centre in the early eighties seem like yesterday.
A great band to go through your teenage years with, never feel they get the credit they deserved.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
My first gig proper at Bracknell Sports Centre 1980. Mods, suede heads, punks, skins and quite a lot of trouble I seem to recall. Foxton telling the crowd to stop fighting each other. The energy off the band and crowd has rarely been matched since for me. Unforgettable. Got 'mugged' for my badges post gig - which was fine as I thought I was going to get a slap. Happy days.

Edit: oh & the Piranhas supported.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Without a doubt one of the best bands England has produced. Not only did I have a centre parting, but the reason I started smoking was because I saw a picture of Weller smoking!!!

I will sit down tonight and watch the OP link.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Without a doubt one of the best bands England has produced. Not only did I have a centre parting, but the reason I started smoking was because I saw a picture of Weller smoking!!!

I will sit down tonight and watch the OP link.

I thought this one was better

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If anyone knows where I can find a high resolution version of this photo, please let me know.

556729_459735150728659_952042336_n.jpg

Does it appear in any books about The Jam? I only have 'A Beat Concerto' and it's not in there.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Anyone watch them at Crawley College? I was just too young. Great band and great music

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
yeah the Jam we're brilliant,problem I had I was into the punk scene,so I couldn't openly admit to liking them at the time,sad I know,but When You're Young

Bruce Foxton is an awesome bassist too

this is my favourite

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

I've been listening to this gem quite a lot this week.

Very quirky choice of lyrics, and yet Weller somehow manages to get them to work and communicate something profound about the drudgery of life.

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
Absolutely love the Jam, Weller is one of the best songwriters ever. How many other 19 year olds have written songs that people of all ages can relate to their own lives. It also took a lot of balls to break up one of the most popular bands in the country at the time, they could of easily kept churning out the same songs and best of albums but because they didn't I think they are still highly respected. Nearly every song of theirs sounds like it could have been released last week. Unfortunately for me they split up well before my time but they are still my favourite band and having seen Weller in concert several times now, he is like god to me

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Weller-genius! The Gift is one of my favourite Jam songs! One of the best singles i ever bought was `Strange Town` `Butterfly Collector the b side.Cherished!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here