Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Pardew headbutt.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Or a referee headbutting a manager!

The FA would say how he merely slipped on the slippery surface, and it is in fact, the manager who was at fault.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Talking to someone today about this, what would have been the outcome if a fan had headbutted a player?

Prison, definitely. But then the fan would have had to run on the pitch to do it, so it would be a worse offence, I suppose.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's a weird world football.

I'm not defending Pardew but it was hardly a head butt. It was a football head butt which is a completely different thing.

There are a number of things that are different in football to the real world.

1) Business viability.
2) Being tripped over.
3) Wages that reflect the market.
4) Being tired.
5) A reasonable price for a KitKat.
6) Getting paid by your last company in order to make up the lower wages you receive in your new one.

So sorry, I struggle to draw parallels with the real world and football.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
some people kiss with more violence than that, i really dont understand why such a fuss has been made over it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I'm not defending Pardew but it was hardly a head butt. It was a football head butt which is a completely different thing.

1) Business viability.
2) Being tripped over.
4) Being tired.
6) Getting paid by your last company in order to make up the lower wages you receive in your new one.

7) You or I sign a legal contract (say to buy a house) and engage a solicitor at our own expense in order to complete this. A footballer signs a legal contract and engages an agent/lawyer: and the club offering the contract pay him.

I don't really understand why (say) Man United would pay Rooney's agent a fee for negotiating his new deal. Surely it should be down to Rooney to pay his own advisor out of his vast wages? Wouldn't such deals encourage unscrupulous agent behaviour?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Prison, definitely. But then the fan would have had to run on the pitch to do it, so it would be a worse offence, I suppose.

What happened to those kiddies at Chesterfield? And that guy who wrong on to abuse the Birmingham goalie when he let in that howler? There have been others too but those are the first ones to spring to mind. Anyone know?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
7) You or I sign a legal contract (say to buy a house) and engage a solicitor at our own expense in order to complete this. A footballer signs a legal contract and engages an agent/lawyer: and the club offering the contract pay him.

I don't really understand why (say) Man United would pay Rooney's agent a fee for negotiating his new deal. Surely it should be down to Rooney to pay his own advisor out of his vast wages? Wouldn't such deals encourage unscrupulous agent behaviour?

I agree - that is the way it works for actors/authors etc. HMRC however don't see it that way and don't allow such payments made by footballers to their agents to be deductible for tax purposes, (unlike almost all other professions) - so clubs make the payments as part of the overall deal.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What happened to those kiddies at Chesterfield? And that guy who wrong on to abuse the Birmingham goalie when he let in that howler? There have been others too but those are the first ones to spring to mind. Anyone know?

Don't know about Chesterfield, but I think the Birmingham guy got 6 months.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
some people kiss with more violence than that, i really dont understand why such a fuss has been made over it.

Because a football manager should be absolutely above all such things, a model of good behaviour. Doing anything that could be seen as aggressive towards another manager, coach, player, fan or whatever is totally beyond the pail. He should be the height of good behaviour as a role model for , well, just about everybody. How do you expect kids to behave if they see a top(?) manager behaving like that.

Pardew knew how stupid he had been as soon as he had done it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

1) Business viability.
2) Being tripped over.
4) Being tired.

I was going to agree with you whole heartedly but then I started to think that actually the real world is becoming madder and madder.

I currently have part of a water right which was mistakenly not sold with the rest of the water.

It is going to cost me more money to see than I will get for it. If I keep it I will have to pay a fee every year, If i sell it it will cost me about $1000 dollars.

I have a product that is no use to me and will cost me to keep, but I can't afford to sell it.

Due to an administration error where the company lost my new address I have only just found out about this 4 years later.... and cost me $750.

Bollocks

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Because a football manager should be absolutely above all such things, a model of good behaviour. Doing anything that could be seen as aggressive towards another manager, coach, player, fan or whatever is totally beyond the pail. He should be the height of good behaviour as a role model for , well, just about everybody. How do you expect kids to behave if they see a top(?) manager behaving like that.

Pardew knew how stupid he had been as soon as he had done it.

It is not up to Alan Pardew or anyone else to teach kids right from wrong. It is up to their parents and it is not a job that can be put out to tender.

The model you have suggested for a football manager is unrealistic and unattainable, people make mistakes, it is what happens next that defines us. Children will learn nothing from the sterile lie that is is football.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It is not up to Alan Pardew or anyone else to teach kids right from wrong. It is up to their parents and it is not a job that can be put out to tender.

The model you have suggested for a football manager is unrealistic and unattainable, people make mistakes, it is what happens next that defines us. Children will learn nothing from the sterile lie that is is football.

I agree that it is up to parents to teach their children right from wrong.

But children are and always will be influenced by those they might idolise or hold as heroes - footballers, people from the music business, actors. If they see that such people are acting like idiots and getting away with it, they could well choose to do likewise. Even if, like Pardew, they are acting like idiots and getting punished for it, they will still be influenced.

Plenty of football managers seem to manage to be decent people, our own Oscar among them. There has even been a thread started on here a few days ago about football managers you like. Pardew is at the other end of the scale. Even without this event, his outburst against Pellegrini recently was disgusting.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I agree that it is up to parents to teach their children right from wrong.

But children are and always will be influenced by those they might idolise or hold as heroes - footballers, people from the music business, actors. If they see that such people are acting like idiots and getting away with it, they could well choose to do likewise. Even if, like Pardew, they are acting like idiots and getting punished for it, they will still be influenced.

Plenty of football managers seem to manage to be decent people, our own Oscar among them. There has even been a thread started on here a few days ago about football managers you like. Pardew is at the other end of the scale. Even without this event, his outburst against Pellegrini recently was disgusting.

My children love going to the football for the atmosphere, especially the language watching grown men swear like there is no tomorrow. Watching players pretend to be injured and the odd handbags at Dawn. They love to give the officials a load of abuse when they think they have made the wrong decision. I would not put Managers, footballers, officials or Fans forward as any sort of role model and my kids do not see them as one. They also know that in the real world we do not use the language we hear at the football anywhere else.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
My children love going to the football for the atmosphere, especially the language watching grown men swear like there is no tomorrow. Watching players pretend to be injured and the odd handbags at Dawn. They love to give the officials a load of abuse when they think they have made the wrong decision. I would not put Managers, footballers, officials or Fans forward as any sort of role model and my kids do not see they as one. They also know that in the real world we do not use the language we hear at the football anywhere else.

Very odd putting a random phone number in your post. Is this a new directive from Bozza ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here