Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tit box time

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
Tits, and other birds, are starting to look for nest sites already. Time to clean out old boxes and put up new ones. Have just set one up with a camera in it and hoping for Great Tits (fnarf fnarf) to nest.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just cleaned mine out. Last year a wren spent 3 days building a nest in there and then buggered off......why ?

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Oh no what a shame. It was only a picture of a pair of great tits.
I believe the opening of attachments is a bit of an ongoing problem at the minute.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No cats in my garden though........ Jack Russell.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
Just cleaned mine out. Last year a wren spent 3 days building a nest in there and then buggered off......why ?

Probably disturbed- usually by a bigger bird. If y'hole is bigger than the nesting bird, it allows bigger birds in.You can buy metal plates to reduce hole sizes if you want blue tits and smaller birds only. (I've got a big one!)

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Very disappointed right now, I expected something a lot more different to be spoken about

I did try to lower the tone with a photo but the attachment wouldn't open and then to my horror the conversation was actually about birds of a feathered variety.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Probably disturbed- usually by a bigger bird. If y'hole is bigger than the nesting bird, it allows bigger birds in.You can buy metal plates to reduce hole sizes if you want blue tits and smaller birds only. (I've got a big one!)

I started off looking for some nice tits but in the end I suppose I left it open with a 25mm hole.

May 17, 2011
1066 country
I think I read somewhere that a male wren may build up to 3 nests & the female will choose the one she thinks will suit her best. I maybe wrong though.

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
I think I read somewhere that a male wren may build up to 3 nests & the female will choose the one she thinks will suit her best. I maybe wrong though.

I think that's right. Also, wrens will nest in open-fronted boxes, so my suggestion about hole sizes was wrong. The RSPB site says that a 25mm hole serves blue,coal and marsh tits; 28mm serves great tits and tree sparrows;32mm does for house sparrows and nuthatches and 45mm for starlings.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think that's right. Also, wrens will nest in open-fronted boxes, so my suggestion about hole sizes was wrong. The RSPB site says that a 25mm hole serves blue,coal and marsh tits; 28mm serves great tits and tree sparrows;32mm does for house sparrows and nuthatches and 45mm for starlings.

I,ve got starlings in the loft at the moment. I will get around to evicting them but apart from a bit of noise at 7 am they are ok. Not happy to muck their nests up at the minute.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

What about Robins?

Also how high do the boxes need to be off the ground?

Shy Talk

Mar 3, 2012
Brighton
What about Robins?

Also how high do the boxes need to be off the ground?

Robins will nest in open-fronted boxes too.They will nest quite low, but I'd suggest no less than 5 or 6 feet, to avoid cats. Facing east is best, or north will be ok. They like a bit of cover (ivy or similar) over the box too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here