Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unknown number

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
My phone is being repaired at the moment, so have been calling people off my work phone. Tried calling my mate today he would not pick up as he didn’t know the number is was calling from.
Bloody annoying, and had to text him off a mates phone, then he called straight back.
Is this really common, or just people who owe money to people?

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I rarely, if ever, answer calls from unrecognised numbers. Mostly down to the amount of marketing type calls you can get these days I suspect.

Then again, I often don't answer my phone when I know who it is.

I hate phones.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cos once you answer it they mark your number as 'active' and sell it on to loads of other PPI/Ambulance chasing/Wonga type organisations. Or so I heard anyway. Similarly never respond to spam emails, however tempting it is to send a two word reply

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I never answer a call if it shows as unknown number, because as nail-Z says, it's usually someone trying to sell you something. I rarely answer calls if it just shows the number either, as in my mind, if I want you to have my number, I would have yours so it would show your name.

If it was important, whoever it was would leave a voicemail or follow-up with a text anyway, so you can always call them back.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I never answer from an unknown number unless I know there's a call I'm expecting where I don't know what the number is going to be.

I always store details of every call received on my phone so, the next time, it's not an unknown number and i can decide whether I want to answer or not. Generally not, but you never know...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Never answer unknown / witheld.

If it's important they can leave a message.

Also I generally look up unknowns later on the internet and if they are known sales numbers I block them with blacklist app.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I don't understand why people DON'T answer? Just pick it up. If it's marketing, hang up.

Thats what I think. I mean, Im trying to arrange to go out for a beer later. People should pick up when its pretty much life or death!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Because the majority in my experience, before I stopped answering 2 years ago, were from cold callers. If the call is important they will leave a voice message with a number to call.

Exactly. We subscribe to the telephone preference Service at home, which means you shouldn't get sales calls. it does not seem to make that much difference these days.

If I am at home, I usually let the phone ring the maximum before the answerphone clicks in, and by that time, many of the cold-callers will have gone, or got on to another number on their automatic dialling systems.

Similarly, there seems to be a delay before they answer if they are still there. This I also often use as an excuse to hang up, because the line was dead. Often you hear someone clicking in just as you are putting the phone down.

And if you do get someone there, it really annoys me when they say "And how are you today?". I really want to say "As if you care".

I also detest the "This is not a sales call, we are conducting some market research". I have a professional qualification in marketing, so I know what market research is.

If I want to buy something, I will do my own research and usually work on recommendations if they are available.

Rant Over.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I never used to answer calls from unknown number, but now I have to = I'm on the kidney transplant waiting list, so could get a call at any time, from any number. As it'll be Guys hospital, it will be through a switchboard and probably "unknown".

That said, I don't always hear my phone, which is rather worrying.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And with that I had a call from an unknown number - 0161 711 0460 - so I took it.

"Hello, can I speak to Heather Haddock please."

"What?"

"Is there a Heather Haddock there?"

"No."

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I never used to answer calls from unknown number, but now I have to = I'm on the kidney transplant waiting list, so could get a call at any time, from any number. As it'll be Guys hospital, it will be through a switchboard and probably "unknown".

Best of luck with that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You're not called Heather Haddock are you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here