Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Network Rail,Level crossing safety issues.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Some of the time, and i know it sounds harsh, but the families want someone to blame for losing a loved one and since they cant blame that person, Network Rail have to take the blame. Because of this Network Rail wants rid of the Crossings.

Some level crossings are dangerous and accidents waiting to happen (IE ones with no barriers) but if you use them sensibly by looking and listening, then they are fine. Most trains sound their horn before a crossing to warn people anyway.

Patience comes into a lot of these too, pretty much all of the ones shown on the youtube clip were just impatient idiots who could have easily been killed, and people have been killed. Is it really worth the risk ?

I cross one on my cycle to work and I get frustrated at just how much caution they show. The trains must be well over a mile away when the barrier comes down as I'm always waiting a good 90 seconds for the train once the barrier is down, seems a bit OTT - although of course I'd rather that than not enough time! The worst is when I just get caught before the crossing, 90 second wait, one train comes through, barriers stay down and then a good 2 minutes later another comes through.

No matter how frustrated I am (normally worst when running late for work!) I'd never even think about skipping over the barriers though. How on earth can it ever be worth the risk?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There is one about 50 yards up the road from my office and I am constantly amazed at the amount of car drivers who actively put their foot down the moment the lights go and try and race through. It's the same with pedestrians and cyclists as well, the moment the lights go or the barriers start to come down they start running through. Head mental if you ask me.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was once going to the cinema in Crawley with a couple of mates, one of whom was driving and we were running a bit late. When the level crossing lights started flashing, the guy driving decided he REALLY didn't want to miss the film trailers so proceeded to zig-zag over the crossing just as the barriers were starting to come down. Needless to say my other mate and I gave him a lot of shit for putting our lives in danger and didn't forgive him for it. I already knew he was a bit of an idiot and this just confirmed things.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I was once going to the cinema in Crawley with a couple of mates, one of whom was driving and we were running a bit late. When the level crossing lights started flashing, the guy driving decided he REALLY didn't want to miss the film trailers so proceeded to zig-zag over the crossing just as the barriers were starting to come down. Needless to say my other mate and I gave him a lot of shit for putting our lives in danger and didn't forgive him for it. I already knew he was a bit of an idiot and this just confirmed things.

I don't even think we were running late?

someone died on that spot a few weeks ago....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
There is one about 50 yards up the road from my office and I am constantly amazed at the amount of car drivers who actively put their foot down the moment the lights go and try and race through. It's the same with pedestrians and cyclists as well, the moment the lights go or the barriers start to come down they start running through. Head mental if you ask me.

Not really , known fact that you get time after gates are down . In this age of health and safety I'd say minimal risk to run across before gates touched the floor.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not really , known fact that you get time after gates are down . In this age of health and safety I'd say minimal risk to run across before gates touched the floor.

Well if you want to risk your life for the sake of waiting 2 or 3 minutes or going over a footbridge at a level crossing, you go ahead. What if there was a glitch in the system and the gates were coming down late maybe? Personally, even if the barriers are up and no lights are flashing, I still look both ways as if crossing a road because you never know.....

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I always thought if you see a red light you stop ! And when you approach a railway unguarded you know there is danger and to be careful . With over the top health and safety perhaps it is now time to wrap everyone up in cotton wool ! I can see years down the line with evolution no one will be able to use their initiative and can't think for themselves .

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I've seen some amazing stuff at the Crawley High Street level crossing. Best of all has got to be when there is a traffic jam, and people stop in the box junction with the barriers up. With no way of going forward or back if the red light started.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
I maintain level crossings as part of my job & it never ceases to amaze me the risks some people, motorist & pedestrian, take to save themselves a couple of minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here